PDA

View Full Version : PS3.0 in Far Cry?

Pages : [1] 2

DMA
03-25-04, 04:07 PM
Since this post is about NVIDIA cards i post it here. :)

I just read the list of changes (http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=804108303) in the first patch for Far Cry and i saw this:
-Added support for PS3.0 shader profile
So, what does this mean? I'm not a tech junkie, but i doubt they can just throw in support for PS3.0 just like that? :retard:

NV40 PR machine starting it's engine? :bleh:

And some more good news for the guys with FX's:
-Improved shader speed (up to two times faster) for NVidia Geforce FX cards on very high settings
I thought they already ran it@PS1.1 though. :bleh:

micron
03-25-04, 04:12 PM
And some more good news for the guys with FX's:
-Improved shader speed (up to two times faster) for NVidia Geforce FX cards on very high settings
I thought they already ran it@PS1.1 though. :bleh:
Maybe FX card's use ps 1.0 in FarCry now, that would improve their speed :smoking:

ChrisRay
03-25-04, 04:22 PM
Maybe FX card's use ps 1.0 in FarCry now, that would improve their speed :smoking:

Maybe we oughta investigate the issue before assuming ;p from my understanding Pixel Shader 2.0 is enabled for Far Cry in The Released Game.

jAkUp
03-25-04, 05:20 PM
Nope, its optional for NV cards, but runs at about 10fps when enabled.

ChrisRay
03-25-04, 05:24 PM
Nope to what? That Pixel Shader 2.0 is available to Nvidia users or unavailable? We can use it right?

DMA
03-25-04, 05:29 PM
So what about the part about PS3.0? I read somewhere that Stalker will have support for it but FC too? I thought 3.0 wasn't to be seen for at least a year.

GlowStick
03-25-04, 05:30 PM
Nope to what? That Pixel Shader 2.0 is available to Nvidia users or unavailable? We can use it right?
Yes you can turn PS 2.0 on with nvidia cards heh.

ChrisRay
03-25-04, 06:08 PM
Yes you can turn PS 2.0 on with nvidia cards heh.

Well thats a step up above not being able to with the demo :clap2:

StealthHawk
03-25-04, 08:18 PM
So what about the part about PS3.0? I read somewhere that Stalker will have support for it but FC too? I thought 3.0 wasn't to be seen for at least a year.

If the developers want to take the time to rewrite their shader code for PS3.0 nothing is stopping them from doing that.

Demirug
03-26-04, 01:37 AM
If the developers want to take the time to rewrite their shader code for PS3.0 nothing is stopping them from doing that.

Normaly you do not need to rewrite. A simply compile with the new profile will do the job. IMHO that is the PS 3.0 support if farcry.

Stalker is a different beast because the developer have say that sometime they shaders are to long for PS 2.0. In this situation you need different shadercode. A multipass shader for cards with PS 2.0 and a singlepass shader for PS 3.0 hardware.

Nv40
03-26-04, 02:16 AM

i really dont think Crytek need to "rewrite" at all .but more simply to -add- extensions to their already available engine. i think that if NV40 is fast enought in PS3.0/Vs3.0 developers will love to use it in their games.. since not only it can increase the IQ in games but also the performance on hardware that support it . VAlve should already have a profile for PS3.0/VS3.0 ,because they have been saying many times that their engine its best thing since the wheel was invented. :)making it FUture proof ,to support hardware features ,that are not available today ,but in next generations of DX9 cards ,since they want source engine to be very capable not only for the time is released for also for the future.

whether they do it ,for Nvidia cards is a diferent story IMHO.. hehe since they have many deals with ATI. and shaders3.0 can be a big selling point for any IHV that support it. its will be unfortunate if they dont support shaders 3.0 for NV4x Nvidia cards (if they have the speed and quality), since they have been praising their engine as a model for the industry to follow when it comes to DX9 tech (with the blessing from M$) ,but thats they way sometimes things are in business.

Nutty
03-26-04, 04:20 AM
I wonder if Carmack will write an NV40 path for Doom3 ? :)

ChrisRay
03-26-04, 04:28 AM
I wonder if Carmack will write an NV40 path for Doom3 ? :)

I cant see any reason why hed want too :) NV30 Path is already single pass is it not?

nForceMan
03-26-04, 06:36 AM
To those whining flamers:

The Farcry Demo use

58 PS 2.X and 246 PS 1.1 on >= NV35. Not sure about < NV35

108 PS 2.0 and 244 PS 1.1 on R3XX

This was stolen form Demirug@B3D

GalaxyFX
03-26-04, 11:29 AM
To those whining flamers:

This was stealed form Demirug@B3D

Still 40% to 50% speed difference. Impressive :bugeyes:

nForceMan
03-26-04, 12:07 PM
Still 40% to 50% speed difference.
goofer, you never give up but it should be. :ban:

Nutty
03-26-04, 02:38 PM
I cant see any reason why hed want too NV30 Path is already single pass is it not?

Potential speed enhancements ?

freak77power
03-26-04, 03:21 PM
ATI users should be carefull about this game patch... Might screw up soomething...

MUYA
03-26-04, 03:48 PM
That is pure FUD! why the hell would the devs do that apart from wanting to shoot themselves in the foot. my god! (omg) :banghead:

OWA
03-26-04, 03:50 PM
Heh, feeling a little paranoid huh? It must be tough. Every EA game released generates waves of paranoia and now patches to games are going to do the same? I guess everyone should stick to version 1.0s from now on? What if it is a game that is continually improved and added to, I guess then you'll complain about not having those features or fixes...all in the name of paranoia. Anyway, I don't plan to use caution. I plan to install it right away but I love living on the edge that way... ;)

pharma
03-26-04, 03:52 PM
This was mentioned at guru3d.com and I thought it might be of interest. It is said that the pixel shaders on FX cards are inbetween ps2.0 and ps3.0 and are called ps 2.x (extended), and the Far Cry patch related to ps 3.0 changes is thought to take advantage of this. Any comments?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/graphics/reference/assemblylanguageshaders/pixelshaders/pixelshaders.asp

ChrisRay
03-26-04, 03:57 PM
Potential speed enhancements ?

Well I was under the impression branching would just make longer shaders go in less passes, :) could be wrong tho.

Demirug
03-26-04, 04:24 PM
This was mentioned at guru3d.com and I thought it might be of interest. It is said that the pixel shaders on FX cards are inbetween ps2.0 and ps3.0 and are called ps 2.x (extended), and the Far Cry patch related to ps 3.0 changes is thought to take advantage of this. Any comments?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/graphics/reference/assemblylanguageshaders/pixelshaders/pixelshaders.asp

Maybe. It will depend how far this patch goes.

There are no real dynamic branches in the current shadercode that can take direct advantages of ps 3.0. But you will find many static branches. At the moment this branches are solved on CPU-level. The CPU is switch between different variants of the same shader. With ps 3.0 it is possible to do this with only one shader that contains all variants. In this case you did not switch they whole shader. You only set some flags. This is faster because the chip did not need to load the shadercode in the shader unit. But I did not know if they new patch make use this. It is highly possible that it only use the ps 3.0 compilerprofil for the shaders if it run on a chip with ps 3.0 support.

Demirug
03-26-04, 04:33 PM
Well I was under the impression branching would just make longer shaders go in less passes, :) could be wrong tho.

You are wrong.

To run longer shaders you need more instructions slots. Branching helps you to run only nessary instructions.

Example:

Is the shader detect that the light is too far away to lit the pixel it can stop they calculation and go to the next pixel. Without branching they chip have to make the whole calculation in any case. This is the reason why branching can save you some clocks. This form of branching is called dynamic branching.

pharma
03-26-04, 04:52 PM
Gentlemen,

Let's stop hypothesizing and start downloading.FarCry patch 1.1 is available -- 26 meg. :clap:

Single player

- Added toggle modes for Aim and Crouch
- Fixed numerous small bugs
- Fixed a crash when attempting to load more than one instance of FarCry
- Fixed bug with AI autobalance that sometimes caused it not to initialize outside of DEVMODE
- Fixed issue where player spawns a little higher in the air after a load from checkpoint.
- Improved AI saving state at checkpoints.

Multiplayer

- Fixed issue with FarCry anti-cheat kicking players connecting to non-similar regions due to post process copy protection
- FarCry anti-cheat is now disabled by default (replaced with Punkbuster)
- Added support for All Seeing Eye
- Added Punkbuster support
- Added new netcode optimizations, vehicles now use significantly less bandwidth in client to server updates. Mounted weapons no longer generate packets when not being used. Included various other packet compressions.
- Added network commands to help players tune the network rates for better performance, including the following commands:

cl_cmdrate – Limit the number of command packets sent from client to server
sv_maxcmdrate – Limit the max cmd rate clients can specify
cl_updaterate – Limit the number of update packets sent from the server
sv_maxupdaterate – Limit the max updates clients can specify
cl_maxrate – Max bits per second can be adjusted
sv_maxrate_lan or sv_maxrate (for non lan, ie internet) will limit the cl_rate allowed on the clients
sv_DedicatedMaxRate – To change the server update speed

- LAN servers now restricted to LAN IP’s
- Configurable ubi.com ports sv_auth_port (port directing ubi.com cdkey authentication) and sv_regserver_port (port used to register servers with ubi.com) for admins.
- Added ability to disable server address publishing with command sv_servertype “NET”
- Fixed some issues with sv_port variable
- Open query protocol to allow monitoring of the server with external tools
- Server config can now be anywhere with any name
- Improved priority based network system (below a certain limit it was not sending, now it does)
- Fixed adjustable cmdrate with vehicles
- Fixed command line joining, there was still a little problem
- Added some optimizations to UI system drawing/updating
- Fixed bug where “Join game button” no longer worked in multiplayer UI
- Fixed issue with dedicated server running on Windows 2003 Server edition
- Fixed bug when players get out from a vehicle, the player will go in standing pose (no crouch or prone).
- The message “drop your weapon to take this other weapon” will disappear only when the player go away from this weapon, not immediately.
- Fixed no pain sounds if an explosion didn’t really hurt the player.

Other

- Improved shader speed (up to two times faster) for NVidia Geforce FX cards on very high settings
- Fixed fog bug with NVidia drivers
- Added support for NVidia NV40 chipset
- Fixed realtime shadows from blended trees
- Made improvements to lighting shaders on very high settings
- Fixed bug with lake reflections
- Added support fro PS3.0 shader profile