PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or do the 56.64 drivers crash every game you play??

Zeta
03-25-04, 06:28 PM
Games have been crashing to the desktop left and right since I installed these drivers. The odd thing is most of the time there is no error or anything. Just kicked out to the desktop with no warning or error. I am not overclocking. I am running a evga 5700u 128mb ddr2.

ChrisRay
03-25-04, 06:45 PM
Hmm no Issues here in Lineage 2, Wc3 or Everquest.

Nutty
03-25-04, 06:46 PM
No issues with COD or CS here or UT2K4 demo.

quik_2_win
03-25-04, 06:54 PM
I think it's just you,-
however, The 56.64 does seem slightly buggy. 'Upgrading' to these from the 53.03 driver was a disappointment, but since BFV requires the 56.64 I was left with no alternative.

Zeta
03-25-04, 10:08 PM
Well does anyone have suggestions as to what makes a game crash to the desktop with out any error or any notice whatsoever? It maybe something else but at this point I think I may try going back to the last official driver.

fingermouth
03-26-04, 02:47 AM
I was running the 56.64 drivers for awhile too and they did funny stuff to my system. I reformatted my system to bring in a new drive and i went back to 53.03 and they do just fine for me. No intentions of going back to a crappy driver that took forever to get out anyway. Nvidia needs to get their head out of their asses and make a kick ass driver like the 53's. At least they didn't crash like the 56's., Oh and BFV does work fine with 53.03's just install dx again if you have too. Have fun and hi saturnotaku its finally 60+ here in the big city. Take care yal.

Zeta
03-26-04, 09:00 AM
Yeah thats kinda all I was looking for .... someone else to confirm what I thought. I am going back to 53.03 today. I will let you guys know if that takes care of everything for me.

Blacklash
03-26-04, 03:27 PM
Speaking of Everquest. These drivers have a tendency to drop me into windowed mode. It's bizarre. If I right mouse click on the character selection screen boom! Windowed mode. Even changes it in my EQ config file.

Overall I like them. Sometimes these seem to lose my bright/gamma settings though or apply game settings to my desktop.

Dirty
03-27-04, 10:44 AM
ya even i have lots of problem with recent nvidia drivers and win98se. desktop refresh problem, sudden reboots and freezes. appliction crashes. and even my goddaammm "New folder option"

c this http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26587

:(

jamyskis
03-31-04, 08:00 AM
I have both Win XP and 98 with a GeForce FX 5200. The new drivers for Win XP were a huge improvement and just went to show how buggy 53.03 was. However there does appear to be a rather fundamental bug in the new 56.64 drivers for Win 98/98SE whereby it disables Direct3D hardware acceleration. I tried running the D3D hardware test in DXDIAG and both DX8 and DX9 tests refused to work under 56.64, so I had to revert back to 53.03. If DXDIAG doesn't work, nothing will. Could everyone try the following and get back to us on this board with the results (along with your card model)

1) Go to START and select RUN
2) Type DXDIAG
3) Go to the GRAPHICS tab.
4) Run the Direct3D test.

Lalander
03-31-04, 12:43 PM
If DXDIAG doesn't work, nothing will. Could everyone try the following and get back to us on this board with the results (along with your card model)

No problem for me.
Forceware 56.64 and for my specs see below...

volkskrant
03-31-04, 01:25 PM
Just tried NFSU on mew new 5900XT and the 56.64 ForceWare drivers. They bounced me back to the desktop (aaa) :retard:

Fifa 2004 gives me artifacts :(

NFSHP2 runs great though! :clap:

Zeta
03-31-04, 04:46 PM
I re-installed windows. I used the official drivers from asus web site instead of using the latest nforce drivers from nvidia.com. I installed the 53.03 drivers. I am still getting game crashing to the desktop. I think at this point it may be something else. I am going to pull out my ram and have it checked at a local computer store to make sure it good. If the ram is fine I am going to get a bigger power supply. I cannot take this crashing anymore. Mine crashes to the desktop on D3D and OGL games so I do not think its a D3D only issue.

fingermouth
04-01-04, 01:22 AM
use memtest86. That will tell you if your ram is good. Use the 53's if your or have flashed your 5900 to 5950. Don't use the 56.s is you did. They must have a bug in them that makes a flashed card buggy.

Zeta
04-01-04, 06:36 PM
WOW! I downloaded memtest86. Thanks for the heads up on this utility. It ran for about an hour and was still going. After it found about 200 errors in the RAM I just cancelled the test. I just threw in a new stick of 512MB 400Mhz ram. I will play some games and see if the crashes are all gone (I think they will be). If so I will reinstall the lastest forceware drivers. Looks like it had nothing to do with the drivers after all ... Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.

fingermouth
04-01-04, 08:06 PM
Your welcome Master Zeta. Memtest86 does a very good job. I use it at the bench when fixing machines.

Zeta
04-02-04, 01:53 AM
Just an update. After putting in the new RAM I installed the latest drivers for the nforce2 and for the video card. I just got done playing FarCry multiplayer for 2 hours without a single crash. My faith has been restored in nvidia's drivers.

gtsr100
04-11-04, 04:41 AM
you think u got it bad these new drivers suck i had no problem with my 41 drivers i was useing i mean no problem untill battlefield vietnam came out then it would crash to desktop then it would bother me so upgraded to 56 big no no. worked good then more crashing and more and more but now it dose not even take me back to desktop my screen gose fuzzso down greaded my drivers back to 41 and guss what same problem the must have a file in 56 that dose not get deleted there must be iam reformating my system i got to meny things on it i run:win98se, amd 2.8g, geforce 4 4800ti (that pny why got there hands on that was good) 512mb ddr pc3200 mem ishould not be haveing these problems and i should not have to run battlefield at lower settings help would be much thanks my aim is cracker patrol10 and my email is vipergt100@yahoo.com