PDA

View Full Version : 5900 Ultra or 9800 XT?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Celeborn
03-26-04, 04:31 PM
basic question.. i have heard a lot from both sides and wanted some more info. Should i buy the 9800XT or the Nvidia 5900 Ultra?

thanks for any input

theultimo
03-26-04, 04:51 PM
basic question.. i have heard a lot from both sides and wanted some more info. Should i buy the 9800XT or the Nvidia 5900 Ultra?

thanks for any input

On an Nvidia related site?

Well...both have their merits, If you play a lot of OpenGL stuff, though, go nVidia.

Unit01
03-26-04, 05:00 PM
My recommendation is wait 1 month or 2 at max for the new gen and check them out and compare.

Celeborn
03-26-04, 05:01 PM
well i play mostly direct X...and this seems like a good site with intelligent people..so why not ask? even if it is Nvidia related ;)

i plan on buying it in 2 weeks or so :/

einstein_314
03-26-04, 05:02 PM
My recommendation is wait 1 month or 2 at max for the new gen and check them out and compare.

I agree. Wait a few months.

Miksu
03-26-04, 05:56 PM
thanks for any input

I think you should _read_ (don't just look at the benchmarks) this comparison from HardOCP: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTgw

takuma
03-26-04, 05:57 PM
I would say wait a little or get the radeon as it is better overall that the 5900s. if you want i have a bfg5900 flashed to a 5950 and i will trade you for a 9800pro. :lol:

CaiNaM
03-26-04, 08:06 PM
it depends on pricing.. but with current street prices the 9800pro is the much better value. while comparable in many ways, the 9800pro definately processes ps2 shaders better than than the fx cards, and the current lowest price listed on pricewatch is $323 for an msi 5900u, $208 for a 9800pro.

$100 less for a card that is overall about the same in dx8/ogl games and moderately to substantially faster in dx9 games, imo it's a no-brainer. frankly, a 5900xt (almost all oc to ultra speeds or better) is a much better value as well.

waiting for info on the next gen cards before buying as some suggest is not a bad idea either, but if you have to have one now, i'd say either a 5900xt or 9800pro, depending on the deal you find.

Behemoth
03-26-04, 08:36 PM
Dont count on OC too much, I am always skeptical on why they dont sell the better chips as what they are. If they yield so many good chips that they need to underclock some for low end demands, why wouldnt they just lower the price of 5900u and sell them all as 5900u, which put them in much better position in competition. Overclocked cards can get lower performance and artifacts on shaders and stability issue and etc :tongue2:

SH64
03-26-04, 09:56 PM
Its simple :

5900U (or 5950U rather) for OpenGL / D3 , drivers stability .
9800XT for DX9.0 /HL2 , performance + IQ .

Celeborn
03-26-04, 10:06 PM
first of all..why would your vid card change if your playing games online?

second..seems the 9800 pro is the most agreed upon, so what about pro vs XT?

Behemoth
03-26-04, 10:09 PM
I wanna add that ati's driver is nowhere near unstable too, it just may not be as well compatible to old opengl games, I dont know, I dont play old and opengl only games much if any. But that probably has nothing to do with driver, its probabaly because those old games were designed strictly for nvidia's cards in mind.

Rollo
03-26-04, 10:22 PM
Dude you've GOT to wait a few weeks now. Why?
1. It's not a long time
2. The cards you mention will be much cheaper
3. Better cards will be out

TODAY- both your choices are bad. The 9800Pro at $200 is teh roxor.
(and this is from a man who just traded one for a 5800 Ultra, so no BS "ATIdiot" comment s please- the 9800P is just the best bang for buck card today)

Celeborn
03-26-04, 10:27 PM
heres my situation...i have a 9600 Pro right now...with the last CoD patch...for some reason its all ****ed up...hard locks in CoD..and ive tried all kinds of different radeon drivers.

i have a CoD tourny may first. you see my frustration?i planned on upgrading anyway..maybe not this quick....but....

Behemoth
03-26-04, 10:33 PM
heres my situation...i have a 9600 Pro right now...with the last CoD patch...for some reason its all ****ed up...hard locks in CoD..and ive tried all kinds of different radeon drivers.

i have a CoD tourny may first. you see my frustration?i planned on upgrading anyway..maybe not this quick....but....
You cant have the best of both world i guess, you have to pick sucky shaders/AA or suffer from nvidia screwing power (crazy)

CaiNaM
03-26-04, 10:35 PM
well, imo the 5900/5950u's are just a poor value; you get very little additional performance compared to the premium in price when you can get near identical performance with an oc'd 5900nu or 5900se/xt.

i also feel the same about the 9800xt. there simply is not a viable reason to pay more than $200 for a video card atm, considering the difference in price, the marginal (if any) performance gain, and the fact the nv40/r420's are expected in may or shortly thereafter.

if you have to have a card now, and you don't want an ati (for whatever reason, valid or not), the 5900xt/se or 5900 is a great card, and in the $175 range they are excellent values imo.

Celeborn
03-26-04, 10:36 PM
what kind of power supply do you need to keep the Nvidia happy. and i have heard a lot that Nvidia twinks their cards to do well on benchmarks but that the 9800XT performs loops around it. Any truth?

Rollo
03-26-04, 10:38 PM
No one made you buy that 9600 Pro, you probably saw the Shady Days benches and said "Oh yeah".
Well, if you're having ATI driver issues on the games you're trying to run, go 5900.
Either card would be a big step up from the 9600 Pro though.

Mr. Rogers: Can you say feeble? I thought you could !
:firedevil

CaiNaM
03-26-04, 10:45 PM
what kind of power supply do you need to keep the Nvidia happy. and i have heard a lot that Nvidia twinks their cards to do well on benchmarks but that the 9800XT performs loops around it. Any truth?

i have both a 5900nu clocked at 450/950 and 9800pro clocked at 9800xt speed. they are essentially similar in performance. the exception is Far Cry, where the 9800pro is about 15-20% faster on avg at the same settings, and halo, where the 9800 is about 10-15% faster.

bf:v the nv is faster (and ati has aa issues).

ut2k4 & nfs:u they are pretty much neck and neck.

i prefer the color vibrancy of nv. textures are pretty close, as is aa, tho i'd give ati a moderate advantage. the ati also takes less of a hit at high aa/af settings.

they both run quite hot, but stable. neither are excessively noisy. just ordered and arctic cooler for the 9800pro.

frankly i'm quite happy with both, and which i would get would be determined solely on the price.. i'd probably pay a little more for the ati, but not much more........

edit: oh.. and both run fine on 350w antec power supplies, so i would imagine any good quality 300w or better power suppy would be fine (antec, enermax, etc). don't expect them to work well on a $20 400w ps tho ;)

Clay
03-26-04, 10:57 PM
what kind of power supply do you need to keep the Nvidia happy. and i have heard a lot that Nvidia twinks their cards to do well on benchmarks but that the 9800XT performs loops around it. Any truth?You'll be fine with at least a 300W power supply. I have run 5700Us, 5900Us, 5950Us and 9800Pros on 300W through 420W power supplies with no problems. It all depends on how many power consuming devices you have in your PC though. Most typical rigs will be fine though.

To your second question. I don't mean to dismiss this but it is all a very tired subject (we've kicked that poor dead horse enough). You can find out a lot of information/facts/opinions here on the board by doing some searches though. Focus your timeframe around last fall. Maybe some others here can chip in some direct links to some of the better threads. Please note that some of those discussions are practically religious arguments. ;) So take some of the emotially charged posts you read with a grain of salt from either perspective.

My $0.02 is that ATI and NVIDIA both make excellent video cards. Each have their really good bang-for-buck models as some here have already pointed out. The latest and greatest offerings are just that...but never for very long and they obviously come at a premium price. Some people like that though, and can afford it, so if you are they more power to you to go that route. I currently have a 9800Pro and a 5950Ultra. I never had any problems with either card and they performed within percentages of each other on wide variety of games. Each was a bit faster/slower than the other on various games but never to any appreciable degree. The image quality arguments are kinda silly IMO but that is just my opinion. We all see things/notice things a bit differently but everything I've seen comes down to over-analyzing minutiae.

Good luck on your decision, you really can't go horribly wrong with any of the above suggestions for today's games. I stress "today" because no one can say with any certainty (despite their claims) as to how current hardware will run games like Quake III or Half-Life 2 until we have those games in hand to actually test...just common sense. HTH :afro:

Behemoth
03-26-04, 11:02 PM
i have both a 5900nu clocked at 450/950 and 9800pro clocked at 9800xt speed. they are essentially similar in performance. the exception is Far Cry, where the 9800pro is about 15-20% faster on avg at the same settings, and halo, where the 9800 is about 10-15% faster.

Similar in performance? not in every game, not in dx9 shaders games at least.
And if you like AA, you better know the quality difference between 4X nvidia's AA and 4X ati's AA, dont let reviews 4X vs 4X scores fool you, they are comparing apples to oranges.

Clay
03-26-04, 11:03 PM
edit: oh.. and both run fine on 350w antec power supplies, so i would imagine any good quality 300w or better power suppy would be fine (antec, enermax, etc). don't expect them to work well on a $20 400w ps tho ;)Some excellent points there made by CaiNaM in case you didn't already know Celeborn. You'll not regret paying a bit extra for a quality power supply. Power supplies can be testy though and lemons abound even for the big name brands...so be sure that if you do get a new one that you have a clearly defined return policy should you need it. Do not take your chances with generic models. Definitely look at the models mentioned above among others.

CaiNaM
03-26-04, 11:15 PM
And if you like AA, you better know the quality difference between 4X nvidia's AA and 4X ati's AA, dont let reviews 4X vs 4X scores fool you, they are comparing apples to oranges.

? did i say every game? i think not...

but my experience with having and using both on a daily basis is similar to maxpower's. whichever you'd prefer, i'm sure you'd be happy with it. :D

Rollo
03-26-04, 11:20 PM

You're full of it Behemoth. I went from 9700Pro for 8 months to 5800 for a month to 9800 Pro for 8 months to 5800 Ultra.
Know what? The differences aren't that noticeable.

Behemoth
03-26-04, 11:28 PM
? did i say every game? i think not...

but my experience with having and using both on a daily basis is similar to maxpower's. whichever you'd prefer, i'm sure you'd be happy with it. :D
you didnt explicitly, so i want to clarify.

You're full of it Behemoth. I went from 9700Pro for 8 months to 5800 for a month to 9800 Pro for 8 months to 5800 Ultra.
Know what? The differences aren't that noticeable.
You know what, I found huge differences since i switched to 9800pro from 5800, HUGE. Have you ever compared dx9 shader performance? Have you ever compare AA performance with SIMILAR QUALITY SETTING, not 4X VS 4X, nvidia's 4X is WAY WORSE.