PDA

View Full Version : Serial ATA hard drive performance

archvile
03-27-04, 07:30 PM
Until recently I was having problems with my new serial ATA configuration (GA-7N400Pro 2 nForce2 + SiI 3512 SATALink controller + 120gb Seagate 7200.7 SATA 8mb). I was receiving 33mb/s in SiSoft Sandra 2004 Pro, which wasn't too bad, except for the fact that another PC I have with a 40gb 2mb cache Parallel IDE interface drive equals that.

After searching for information on this particular setup, I found this thread (http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9342&page=3&pp=20) through Google. A post by Spinner attached a modified, updated BIOS for my motherboard with an additionally updated SATA controller BIOS. Checking Gigabyte's site, it would seem that they're not in the habit of updating the HD controller's BIOS too regularly.

After this update I now get 41mb/s and a few minor issues with the RAID side of things (which I intend to use later) have been cleared up. That's quite a large gain for a fairly standard modification, and one I'd certainly recommend to anyone else. The problem is tracking down modified BIOS files or people that can do them, but if the board manufacturer's would just update the HD controllers themselves, we wouldn't have this problem.

Many thanks to Spinner for his updated BIOS. I am no longer disappointed with Serial ATA as an upgrade and I hope this helps someone else get a bit more out of their system.

MUYA
03-27-04, 07:43 PM
Which SATA drive are u using...i am just interested since apart from (I think) Seagate, all other SATA drives use a bridge chip on a PATA drive to get SATA compliance.

NickSpolec
03-28-04, 02:30 AM
Maybe it's the Seagate drive, because with a parallel ATA 133, 120gb Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 drive (8mb) I pull about 44 to 49mb's a second on the first 40gbs of the drive, around 40mb's on the middle of the drive, and about 33 to 36mb's a second on the last 40gbs.

Moled
03-28-04, 02:42 AM
Maybe it's the Seagate drive, because with a parallel ATA 133, 120gb Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 drive (8mb) I pull about 44 to 49mb's a second on the first 40gbs of the drive, around 40mb's on the middle of the drive, and about 33 to 36mb's a second on the last 40gbs.

I just had 2 of those exact drives die on me

and I think some of the first seagate sata drives were flawed