PDA

View Full Version : Apple G5 Smacked Down By BBB

Clay
03-27-04, 09:01 PM
The Council of Better Business Bureaus has recommended that Apple Computer discontinue comparative performance claims regarding its Power Mac G5 desktop.

Acting on a tip from Apple rival Dell, the council's National Advertising Division (NAD) "determined that the evidence provided by Apple did not provide a reasonable basis for its broad unqualified claims that its Power Mac G5 is 'the world's fastest, most powerful personal computer' and that it 'edged out the competition on integer.'"

http://news.com.com/2100-1042_3-5180251.html?tag=nefd_top

NickSpolec
03-27-04, 09:10 PM
What Apple meant to say in the ad was "The Power Mac G5 is the world's fastest, most powerful personal computer for running WordPad".

saturnotaku
03-27-04, 10:26 PM
I read the comments people posted on that article. I mean, I knew most Mac users were dumb but those folks take the cake and run unobstructed to the end zone.

sxotty
03-28-04, 07:09 AM
To be honest Sat it is simply a matter of many apple users knowing nothing about computers, and that is why they choose apple. Apple had a reputation of being easy to use so it is unsurprising that it attracts that demographic. I had some guy ask me if I could custom build him an apple since he heard I built lots of pc's, I just chuckled :).

saturnotaku
03-28-04, 08:32 AM
I had some guy ask me if I could custom build him an apple since he heard I built lots of pc's, I just chuckled :).

Hehehe, you should have said yes, charged him $4000, gone to the Apple store, bought a $3000 G5 and pocketed the difference. :angel:

sxotty
03-30-04, 07:28 AM
Despite CBBB saying this. The PowerMac Dual G5 IS the fastest personal desktop computer in the world, this machine eats Dual Xeons PCs for lunch. I own a computing reselling business, I've seen it.

1- And most of the industry agrees the G5 is the fastest in most of the tests, and Apple never said the G5 was faster on integer on the contrary Apple said it was 10% slower on integer testing single processor systems but it is a lot faster on FPU and Vector instructions. On Dual Systems the Dual G5 was faster in all 3 categories.

2- Apple clearly said that the G5 was the first 64 bit processor ON A PERSONAL COMPUTER, which it is true. :
This is a mac fanboy response.. funny they have never heard of AMD :).

saturnotaku
03-30-04, 08:16 AM
This is a mac fanboy response.. funny they have never heard of AMD :).

Hehe - a single Athlon64 running the 32-bit version of Windows will kick the snot out of a dual G5 in any application that isn't specifically optimized for the Mac (QuickTime, Photoshop w/Mac filters). Just imagine when 64-bit Windows comes out with applications that are optimized for it. :drooling:

But I do believe the fanboy is correct when he says the G5 was the first 64-bit processor to hit the mainstream market.

zoomy942
03-30-04, 09:57 AM
Apple should have decided to use AMD chips instead of motorola.

Sazar
03-30-04, 09:59 AM
the g5 is fast... its just not as fast and brilliant as apple claims it to be... which is the only thing that irks me bout the whole issue.. if you search on this forum too I believe we had a thread when those ads first came out... lol... the numbers were so fubar even @ the time..

and I have to concur with the other responses... apple fanboi's unfortunately are blinded by their loyalty to the company and have no inkling for the most part how marchitecture works..

Egg Chen
03-31-04, 08:04 AM
I still can't figure out why people swear by a system that is obsolete 5 months after they were overcharged for it. If Apple spent as much time on the innards of their systems as they did making their machines look pretty on the outside, they might have something. I guess fanboys love their crApples...

sxotty
03-31-04, 11:43 AM
Apples are a confusing thing really.

They actually make good products they just way overcharge.

Then they have a following of clueless people who bought one in 1981 and say apples are the best b/c back then they thought they were something special.

Then there is the rebel followers that think that they are somehow rebeling by paying more for a product that is not any better.Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-03-12) :)

Nephilim
03-31-04, 11:57 AM
Despite all of the BS surrounding Apple though (yeah, they overcharge), they do make decent stuff (iPod, iSight, iBook, Powerbook) and their Industrial Design dept. deserves all the props they get.

Apple products do hold their resale value much longer than PC products.

EDIT: Hmm..that first sentence makes little sense. EDITED