PDA

View Full Version : What happens when video ram overheats?

zer0xp
03-28-04, 03:37 PM
Guess the title is self explanatory.. :rolleyes: but, what happens in 2D mode, and 3D mode.. or is it the same?

EMunEeE
03-28-04, 04:13 PM
Guess the title is self explanatory.. :rolleyes: but, what happens in 2D mode, and 3D mode.. or is it the same?

In 2D mode you get pink/green squares/lines all over the desktop and artifacts are also present. Pretty much the same thing in 3D mode with discoloration of textures and artifacts.

zer0xp
03-28-04, 04:17 PM
thnx, now i know i have a killer problem with ram overheating on my 5900 :lame:

ChrisRay
03-28-04, 04:33 PM
you sure its over heating or just running out of spec? In my experience my 2.2ns Memory doesnt run that hot on my FX 5900.

DaveW
03-28-04, 06:11 PM
Be careful, sometimes problems with the AGP can look like video ram overheating artifacts. I recently notice some corrupt textures in UT2004 and they still occured even after dropping my video ram speed. Switching off AGP fast writes solved the problem.

zer0xp
03-28-04, 06:30 PM
I tried taking off fast writes, but that didnt help the problem... :angry:, oh well.. always have my 5700nu as backup :rolleyes:

******Update******

I decided to play around with the clocks a bit, drivers werent letting me set anything earlier today, higher or lower... and ... i found that the problems go away when i set the memory clock to 565... it wont let me go any higher than that...
Core temp is a nice 44C.. ambient 30... anyone have any ideas?? :screwy:

photophreak314
03-29-04, 04:46 PM
I've had "butterflies' fly around the screen, and other pretty objects go swirling away, but that's when I was over enthusiastic with the o'c.

zer0xp
03-29-04, 05:58 PM
oh.. well this is w/o OCing... cant even get to stock speeds.. :( lol this sucks. i had to take it even lower today.. 400/470 lol... at least it runs CS.. lol if anyone has any ideas, please post.

Rollo
03-30-04, 12:24 AM

The end result of all OCing:
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Rollo/stomped.JPG
:lol2:

zer0xp
03-31-04, 01:21 AM
That link does not work.
I do not want to see it either. So do you really have anything useful to say about my problem? or are you just trying to rack up some posts after that depressing 5800 thread was locked?
After that 5800 thread, you should be someone who knows about posting to get some feedback, and having people post the most pointless crap.

mrsabidji
03-31-04, 06:13 AM
But we like pointless crap ! :D
Anyway, here's my advice : RMA the card, it's obviously broken and things will only get worse with time...

mrsabidji

Rollo
03-31-04, 08:31 AM
That link does not work.
I do not want to see it either. So do you really have anything useful to say about my problem? or are you just trying to rack up some posts after that depressing 5800 thread was locked?
After that 5800 thread, you should be someone who knows about posting to get some feedback, and having people post the most pointless crap.

OK Sport- here's an idea: You OCd your RAM and damaged it. Now you get to decide if you're a thief and RMA it, or a man that's out a couple hundred bucks.

How is it my fault the 5800 threads went bad and lockable?

I post on a nVidia board about my new nVidia card and that's somehow flamebait?

:screwy: :screwy:

zer0xp
03-31-04, 12:02 PM
oh.. well this is w/o OCing...
okay sport, here's a better idea, how about you read what i said. I did not OC my ram, or my core. I underclocked it for testing, therefore the card was not damaged by overclocking. Also, all clock changes were made after the card was giving problems, so again. Not caused by OCing. And No, i am not a thief. I have no plans to return this card. I will just be purchasing another card instead. Being my 2nd 5900 by PNY, i was wondering if it was overheating, so i could fix it myself, not rma it. If you were referring to a previous thread, this is not the same card.
I dont care about your 5800, in fact, i was happy to see you got one. Sure. i'd like to have one to mess around with too. And i never blamed you for making the threads get locked, i was saying that you should know not to post useless crap. like you said, you posted about your new video card. Im sure you posted to get some kind of positive response and/or requests for information. Not people posting crap you could care less about, like in your case, the 9800 pro being better, or in my case, some idiot laughing at you and posting a stupid picture because they didnt read the post properly.

mrgoodcheese
03-31-04, 03:54 PM
When video memory is OCed too high, and the heat builds up, you'll sometimes get "snow", or little white speckles in your image.