PDA

View Full Version : FX 5600 Problems

Paradicio
03-29-04, 01:03 PM
Hey all,

Was wondering if I could maybe get some advice. I'm having problems with my GeForce FX 5600. The problems happen when I am doing any kind of gaming. I've tried with EverQuest, Final Fantasy XI, and Morrowind. I will be able to play for a while, then either get a Bluescreen, get kicked out of the game back to desktop with no error, or a message from the game stating the client may have crashed (the last error happens with EQ only).

My system is as follows.

Intel D865PERL motherboard
P4 2.6Ghz w/Hyperthreading enabled
PNY Verto GeForce FX5600/256 AGP
1GB of RAM
Soundblaster PCI 512
D-Link DWL-G520 PCI Wireless Ethernet Card
Windows XP home, all Windows Updates downloaded

I'm currently using the latest drivers w/DX9, however I have tried reverting back to older drivers. I've also tried the Omega drivers, none of them improve the situation at all. The system shows that the video card is sharing IRQ 16 with the USB controller, however I've read up on this and apparently it's fairly common and shouldn't be a problem. The device manager shows no resource conflicts.

I'll be happy to post my DXDIAG and/or MSINFO files if anyone wants to take a look. I could really use some help, I'm stumped. :(

-Para

raksasas
03-29-04, 02:28 PM
You wanna know the problem it's the 5600. it's a crapy card. Why you think you don't see it for sell anywhere, anymore. It's the second time that Nvidea has pissed me off bad cards, bad drivers, haveing to use beta drivers. the list goes on and on. that is why once i get enought cash. i'm switching over to ATI. Btw, my friend even has the newer 5700 ultra and getting the same problem.

Paradicio
03-29-04, 02:38 PM
Well, I haven't had any problems with it up until now. I just upgraded the motherboard and processor, before that it worked fine. I also got a new power supply cause I thought the problem might have been with my old one. The strange thing is, unless I'm gaming there's no problems. If I'm just browsing the web or working in MS Word I don't crash...

raksasas
03-29-04, 02:50 PM
Ditto

micron
03-29-04, 02:59 PM
You wanna know the problem it's the 5600. it's a crapy card.
Raksasas, do me a favor please, and never post here again.

To the original poster, do you have anything overclocked? what are your memory timing's set to? do you have any other app's or program's running in the background while you play games? any messanger program's?

Paradicio
03-29-04, 03:10 PM
No, nothing is overclocked, no apps running in the backgrouns, I'm kind of a purist about that.

micron
03-29-04, 03:14 PM
Is this the only video card you've had in this system?

raksasas
03-29-04, 03:15 PM
Raksasas, do me a favor please, and never post here again.

NO!

I have the same freaking problem for over a year not. everything i have done didn't fix it New Motherbaord, new proccessor, new ram, the Audigy 2 and i even took out the audigy and tryed it with the on board sound.and stilll crashes in games i.e. Finaly Fantasy XI (don't play it anymore) Morrowind, Call of Duty, and now Sacred. My computer is not overclocked. Memory is fine, no background appts runing. Messenger turned off. and the only time it the Stupid thing crashs to the desktop with no errors or nothing. The only time that it seem to happen less was when I ran with beta drivers.

Don't have teh cash to spend on a new video card after doing all that but at least i have a faster system now but i'm planing on a new video card in about 2-3 months

Paradicio
03-29-04, 03:50 PM
I put in my old GeForce 2 Ti to see if that fixed the problem. I only ran EverQuest on it, and it still crashed. Of course EQ is crashing for a lot of people right now, so that's not really a valid test. I can try the old card again with FFXI or Morrowind to see if it works for them... But I would really prefer to use my FX5600 cause it has much more video RAM.

Deathlike2
03-29-04, 04:17 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26649

Look at my response and try to make those changes in the bios...

Also, you should consider using the following drivers:

raksasas
03-29-04, 04:48 PM
I think the AGP Apeture might have been the problem this whole time (put it to 128 from 256) but I only played one of the games for about 15 min and so far it has not crashed but going to play some more later and see if it really fixed the problem. also going to tell my friend about that.

Paradicio
03-29-04, 05:38 PM
I had the AGP aperture at 64, (which was the default in the BIOS), when the crashing initially started. I raised it to 128, but that didn't fix anything, I also tried 256. I never thought to try it lower, however I will certainly give that a shot.

There are no options in my BIOS for AGP strength or AGP fastwrite (I've tried looking for them both to no avail).

I just finished running a memory diagnostic on my system RAM thinking that maybe I had bad RAM, it passed all the tests, so I guess it's ok as well.

I called PNY support to see if they had any ideas, but they only suggested things I've tried already with no success. Their solution was for me to send the card back to them and they will send me a replacement. I'm thinking I might as well try, if I don't succeed at least I'll have a brand new card to crash with. :bash:

-Para

Paradicio
03-29-04, 06:17 PM
Now I'm really confused. I was playing FFXI with the GeForce 2Ti card in place of the FX 5600, and I still crashed back to desktop. I'm ready to shoot myself! :kill:

ChrisRay
03-29-04, 06:24 PM
Hey all,

Was wondering if I could maybe get some advice. I'm having problems with my GeForce FX 5600. The problems happen when I am doing any kind of gaming. I've tried with EverQuest, Final Fantasy XI, and Morrowind. I will be able to play for a while, then either get a Bluescreen, get kicked out of the game back to desktop with no error, or a message from the game stating the client may have crashed (the last error happens with EQ only).

My system is as follows.

Intel D865PERL motherboard
P4 2.6Ghz w/Hyperthreading enabled
PNY Verto GeForce FX5600/256 AGP
1GB of RAM
Soundblaster PCI 512
D-Link DWL-G520 PCI Wireless Ethernet Card
Windows XP home, all Windows Updates downloaded

I'm currently using the latest drivers w/DX9, however I have tried reverting back to older drivers. I've also tried the Omega drivers, none of them improve the situation at all. The system shows that the video card is sharing IRQ 16 with the USB controller, however I've read up on this and apparently it's fairly common and shouldn't be a problem. The device manager shows no resource conflicts.

I'll be happy to post my DXDIAG and/or MSINFO files if anyone wants to take a look. I could really use some help, I'm stumped. :(

-Para

Usually the Everquest crash issue that your experience is related to memory, Not Video Card,

I'm willing to bet on trying to replace your memory, See if the problem persists, A good way to test this is to uninstall your AGP drivers and Play the card iN PCI mode, While this will slow you down. But it will also be a great way to see if its related to AGP texturing and Memory, then you just narrow it down.

From Memory, To System.

Paradicio
03-30-04, 12:15 AM
I'm kind of thinking it's memory too. I called the store today where I purchased the memory (the guy who owns it is a friend of mine), he suggested I try taking one of the 512MB DIMM's out and seeing if the problems still occur. If they stop with one of the DIMM's out then I know where the problem is. Gonna cross my fingers and hope that's the case... At least I know if it's the memory he will replace it for me...

-Para

theultimo
03-30-04, 04:03 PM
Aww, don't dis the FX 5600, its still as good as a ti 42/4400.. :angel2:

Anyways, had that problem and found out on my desktop that it was memory, bad 128mb stick i had into it.

Paradicio
03-30-04, 05:23 PM
It's looking like it was bad memory. I pulled out one of the 512 MB DIMM's last night and was able to play for a full hour without crashing before I had to log off. Unfortunately I forgot to put the FX 5600 back in before I did this little test, so I was still using the GeForce 2 Ti.

I'm going to try again tonight with the FX 5600 and the single stick of RAM that worked yesterday. If it works, I'll swap out the stick I know works with the one I took out and see if the crashes start again. If they do, I'll have my culprit!

Slowly closing in on it. :)

-Para

Coldstone
03-31-04, 04:13 AM
@Paradicio
Hi do you have the older or the new version of the card? The new one have Flipchip tech with a power conductor on the card like the ultra and the power conducter must be plugged in because it needs more power under 3D app.

theultimo
03-31-04, 08:05 AM
@Paradicio
Hi do you have the older or the new version of the card? The new one have Flipchip tech with a power conductor on the card like the ultra and the power conducter must be plugged in because it needs more power under 3D app.
Hmm, is that a 5650 ish ?

Paradicio
03-31-04, 09:50 AM
It's the old one, there's no power conductor.

How's this for strange. With one DIMM strip in the motherboard, everything runs fine. Doesn't matter which one. As soon as I put the other DIMM strip in, the crashes start up again.

My motherboard apparently is too lazy to read from 2 memory slots...

-Para

zer0xp
03-31-04, 01:01 PM
Try getting the latest motherboard bios, and/or trying different memory configurations.. (different slots), if you havent done so already

Deathlike2
03-31-04, 01:08 PM
My motherboard apparently is too lazy to read from 2 memory slots...

Not necessarily... (mobos aren't "lazy"... just very finicky)

Different brands of RAM can cause issues with the system... it helps to use a pair of the same brand of RAM... (particularly those that are recommended on that particular mobo)

You don't mention what kind of RAM you have... RDRAM or DDR... (I suspect DDR)..

Try getting the latest motherboard bios, and/or trying different memory configurations.. (different slots), if you havent done so already

This solution can help... mobos are pretty finicky on the slots you put the RAM in... putting the RAM in the least ideal slots may cause problems.. This info should be available in the mobo manual...

You may want to lower to RAM clockspeed in the BIOS (assuming that is an option)... if all else fails... (assuming you want to use both RAM sticks)...

Paradicio
03-31-04, 08:34 PM
Yeah, running the latest BIOS and Mobo drivers. I'm using DDR. I've tried different slots, and no luck. The Intel Mobo is pretty finicky about where it wants its RAM, if you do it incorrectly the BIOS gives you an error. Basically it works like this:

Bank 1
A: RAM
B: No RAM
Bank 2
A: RAM
B: No RAM

I took the Comp back to where I got the Mobo, RAM, and Hard Drive today. When he tried to boot up the comp and it wouldn't even boot. I gave him the run down of all the problems and he gave me a new Mobo and a higher quality RAM (was using a no name before, he gave me Samsung...not sure if Samsung is any good...).

I'm hoping this takes care of my issues.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. This forum seriously rocks!

-Para

ragejg
03-31-04, 08:47 PM
...and for the record we don't take kindly to attitudes and snap judgements such as those of raksasas. Seriously...

If you want to bash a card/chipset/cpu/etc. here, you better have a good wealth of information to back yourself up.