PDA

View Full Version : New Audigy Drivers

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
03-29-04, 06:17 PM
Fixes

*Resolves the issue of THX® Setup Console resetting to default values whenever it is launched.
*Removes noise and distortion when THX Setup Console is used.
*Synchronizes the settings between EAX® ADVANCED HD™ and Creative Graphic Equalizer.
*Enables MIDI device name display in Windows® Multimedia Device and SoundFont® Bank Manager.
*Enables the activation of imported EAX effect presets.
*Resolves the audio mute issue that is encountered when certain EAX effect presets are activated.
*Resolves the system stall issue that is encountered when rewinding or fast-forwarding DTS®-encoded audio CDs, on external DVD players that are playing back through your audio card.
*Enhances the performance of PC games that use native OpenAL API extensions.

www.creative.com

saturnotaku
03-29-04, 08:29 PM
Is anyone else having install issues with these? I downloaded the file, double-clicked it and watched the installer do its thing. It brings up the screen asking to reboot and when I click finish, the program craps out a black screen with my mouse cursor stuck in the hourglass position. I have to ctrl-alt-del out of the program, which means the drivers won't install. I was able to get around this by using WinRAR to extract the contents of the downloaded file to a folder and then using the CTZAPXX.exe file to update. That worked just fine.

anzak
03-29-04, 08:52 PM
Is anyone else having install issues with these? I downloaded the file, double-clicked it and watched the installer do its thing. It brings up the screen asking to reboot and when I click finish, the program craps out a black screen with my mouse cursor stuck in the hourglass position. I have to ctrl-alt-del out of the program, which means the drivers won't install. I was able to get around this by using WinRAR to extract the contents of the downloaded file to a folder and then using the CTZAPXX.exe file to update. That worked just fine.

I've been having trouble with Creative Labs drivers. After installing the OEM Soundblaster Live 5.1 that I got from newegg I popped in the drivers CD only to find that it does not contain drivers for Windows 2000 or XP! No biggie, I downloaded the drivers from the Creative Labs site and I got an error saying that it could not find a Soundblaster card in my system yet windows picked it up the moment I started up my system. I talked to Creative labs and they told me there new drivers do not support OEM cards! Finally I found 3d party drivers that support the card and have had no trouble since. Learn from my mistakes and DO NOT buy a OEM creative labs product.

zoomy942
03-29-04, 09:04 PM
they installed great for me. how much of the creative software do you have installed?

saturnotaku
03-29-04, 09:08 PM
how much of the creative software do you have installed?

Just the drivers, nothing else.

zoomy942
03-29-04, 09:22 PM
i'm not sure whta you did, but i have laerned that i never ever choose to restart when it asks me. i always say no and do it myself

saturnotaku
03-29-04, 09:31 PM
I tried that, but it still went to a black screen. It's like there's something buggered in the install routine that doesn't shut it down properly.

EMunEeE
03-29-04, 11:45 PM
Installed and workin here!

GamblerFEXonlin
03-30-04, 03:44 AM
i think you need the drivers from CD installed first. I tried just to install the 03.11.19 driver update with only the control panel apps from CD installed but it didnt work

these make the UT 2004 beta demo crash my PC.

I'll try a reformat/reinstall of XP.

Anyone elses logon after bootup getting slower? its now 15 seconds instead of 10 seconds.

NAZCA M12
03-30-04, 01:16 PM
Thanks for posting this Jackup. I've had nothing but problems with my Audigy 2ZS. Until i got fed up and installed my (ridiculous ain't it? :screwy: ) old Live! drivers. No more problems for me ever since. Fine hardware + unstable software = works whenever it feels like! Well, i'll have a look at the new drivers.

stncttr908
03-30-04, 01:44 PM
I'm a little apprehensive to try these if others are having trouble. I'll just set a system restore point and give them a try I suppose.

GamblerFEXonlin
03-30-04, 02:27 PM
A system restore point? hmm so that is a workaround for a bad driver system in windows?

it would be nice if i could just delete a folder if i wanted to uninstall a driver or something... I've just reformat/reinstalled XP and now it logons in 3 seconds instead of 15.

john19055
03-31-04, 02:52 AM
I have soundstorm in but I have a Sound Blaster Audigy laying around and does it help in overclocking your system and would it help in games as far as making them a little faster with not haveing to use the onboard sound or is there any benefit to putting the S.B Audigy in my system.

LTech221
03-31-04, 02:55 AM
Are u running the analog out or the digital out? If you run teh analog it'll sound worse and give u a performance hit, whereas if u run via the spdif out to a DD Decoder u shouldnt get a big hit. Should perform along the lines of an audigy in terms of performance but no EAXHD effects.

john19055
03-31-04, 08:33 AM
I put my S.B. Audigy in and downloaded the new drivers and disable the sound storm and I have just a 2.1 speakers analog and it was like going from night to day ,I mean damn I have had this card just thrown in the closet for about six moths because I kept hearing that the soundstorm is about just as good,I mean when I play games now it's like I was missing half the sounds.

Riptide
03-31-04, 11:19 AM
I installed these yesterday. Hasn't had any noticeable negative effects so far. Boot times are fine and FarCry isn't crashing to the desktop or anything strange. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones this time? :)

zoomy942
03-31-04, 02:21 PM
I put my S.B. Audigy in and downloaded the new drivers and disable the sound storm and I have just a 2.1 speakers analog and it was like going from night to day ,I mean damn I have had this card just thrown in the closet for about six moths because I kept hearing that the soundstorm is about just as good,I mean when I play games now it's like I was missing half the sounds.

i went from soundstorm to an audigy platinum and holy cow things were better! and when i play games... the little noises that set up the modd.. like the electtrical sounds or humming of machines.. they were never here until i used the SB. its great

PsychoSy
03-31-04, 03:33 PM
I'm such a stickler for actual sound quality in music that I'm always apprehensive in trying new Audigy drivers. In fact, I've been running on the older "Compaq" drivers for my A1 for the longest time because more recent drivers absolutely destroy bass & treble and overmodulate the midrange. What does that mean in Laymen's terms? It means that the swirling moogy keyboards from a typical Styx or Yes song are AUDIBLE and SWIRL around the room with these trusty "Compaq" A1 drivers while more recent driver updates render the same keyboard simply inaudible and/or "tinny".

YUCK!!!! :(

Inaudible/tin-can Keyboard in Styx/Yes music = BLASPHEME!!!!! :mad:

Nutty
03-31-04, 06:21 PM
Should perform along the lines of an audigy in terms of performance but no EAXHD effects.
I know for a fact SoundStorm supports EAX1, and possibly EAX2, though I'm not 100% sure on that one.

saturnotaku
03-31-04, 10:03 PM
EAX HD = EAX 3 and 4 so no, other sound cards would not support it. But I'm in the same boat with a lot of these folks, I've enjoyed my A2 ZS thoroughly. Much moreso than my Soundstorm.

stncttr908
03-31-04, 10:20 PM
EAX HD = EAX 3 and 4 so no, other sound cards would not support it. But I'm in the same boat with a lot of these folks, I've enjoyed my A2 ZS thoroughly. Much moreso than my Soundstorm.I agree. I didn't have any problems installing the update either.

Drumphil
03-31-04, 10:37 PM
yeah well, i have soundstorm, and an audigy, and I can easily hear how much better the audigy is in 3dgames.

saturnotaku
04-01-04, 06:05 AM
One major thing I noticed between the A2 and Soundstorm is in GTA3. There are several sound effects you simply can't hear on Soundstorm that are loud and clear on the Audigy. It made a huge difference to me.

Nutty
04-01-04, 07:54 AM
Are we comparing analogue output on SoundStorm here, or proper dolby digital output, and decoded via an external amp ?

saturnotaku
04-01-04, 09:29 PM
*sigh*

We know Soundstorm has better digital output. But most of us here have standard, analog speakers. And in that respect, the Audigy is far superior.