PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturer Drivers vs. Nvidia Drivers?

CornCake
03-30-04, 07:40 PM
Are there any tangible (or discernable) differences when using drivers put out by your video card's manufacturer as opposed to just getting them straight from Nvidia?

Why I ask:

I'm currently running 53.03 (from Nvidia's site) on my MSI Ti4400. I've read enough about other's problems with the 56.64 drivers to where I don't really want to mess up my system or have my card overheating (I suspect this could be a culprit behind several complaints of CTD while playing certain games I've been reading in this forum). I noticed that MSI has a 56.63 version on their site.

I tend to wonder if these are just rehashed version of the 56.64 drivers with an MSI label posted somewhere in a readme file or if there any actual benefits to using drivers from a card's specific manufacturer.

Sorry if these are noob-ish questions and thanks for any info.

arunabh
03-30-04, 09:20 PM
i've been using the 56.64 drivers from the nVIDIA site and they r working good for my card.....
i think for the G4 Ti series the best drivers are 4x.xx .....
i have tried may drivers on the G4 Ti 4200 8X 128 MB.....the best what i found is 44.03......
try them out ......

mrsabidji
03-31-04, 07:45 AM
There's no real difference between a given NV driver and its manufacturer-specific equivalent... Sometimes the manufacturer's .inf file will only contain entries for its own cards, but that's about all, as far as I know, and it can be modified anyway.

mrsabidji

bobbobson
03-31-04, 08:02 AM
Well I don't know if manufacturer drivers contain card specific optimizations (one would wish so) but from experience I couldn't see any. What I DID realize was useless manufacturer software getting installed with those drivers. Like diagnosis tools, overclocking tools, autoupdates, colorprofiles and desktop assistents and I daresay NVidia itself is already on the brink of making itself a nuisance with all the crap that gets installed with their "bare" Forceware drivers.

mrsabidji
03-31-04, 08:14 AM
Agreed. That's why I always install the driver using the .inf file instead of 'setup.exe'. Plus it's usually faster and safer.

mrsabidji

saturnotaku
03-31-04, 08:46 AM
The only NVIDIA cardmaker whose drivers differ from the reference ones is Asus because their .inf file contains entries specific to their cards. But most other manufacturers either 1) take reference drivers right from NVIDIA and post them on their site or 2) link straight to NVIDIA's driver download section.

BTW, arunabh, - as a heads up, you'll need to either shrink the font you're using or shorten your signature to 10 lines or less. This is the policy on these forums. If you don't, a mod or admin will edit it for you.

theultimo
03-31-04, 12:40 PM
the only time I will use manufacturer's drivers is if there isn't an equivalent reference driver that has been leaked.

CornCake
03-31-04, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the info. You all answered my questions. :thumbsup:

jimmor
03-31-04, 06:11 PM
Are there any tangible (or discernable) differences when using drivers put out by your video card's manufacturer as opposed to just getting them straight from Nvidia?

Why I ask:

I'm currently running 53.03 (from Nvidia's site) on my MSI Ti4400. I've read enough about other's problems with the 56.64 drivers to where I don't really want to mess up my system or have my card overheating (I suspect this could be a culprit behind several complaints of CTD while playing certain games I've been reading in this forum). I noticed that MSI has a 56.63 version on their site.

I tend to wonder if these are just rehashed version of the 56.64 drivers with an MSI label posted somewhere in a readme file or if there any actual benefits to using drivers from a card's specific manufacturer.

Sorry if these are noob-ish questions and thanks for any info.

No, the MSI 5663 driver is not a rehashed 5664!!

I use the MSI 5663 and for my setup, they run reasonably stable. Had lots of issues with Nvdia 5664's when I tried them. Plus I like the extra MSI features or gizmo's available! Used their 5303 with no problems too!

Don't believe I've ever found I any specific manufacturer performance tweaks, only extra gizmo's!! but I have certainly found MSI drivers stable compared to others! maybe it is just my setup??

fingermouth
04-01-04, 04:13 AM
I agree with Saturnotaku, the drivers all are pretty much the same execpt for ASUS. I had an ASUS Vseries card Deluxe with 3dglasses and the driver on ASUS's site had stuf for the 3dglasses and their were other tweaks for the ASUS only cards so their is differneces from drivers between ASUS and Nvidia but everyone else, its about the same execpt for numbers and revisions that end up from Nvidia sooner or later.