PDA

View Full Version : From night to Day

john19055
03-31-04, 08:53 AM
I have had my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe with the soundstorm and I kept hearing it was a good sound card and I just put my S.B.Audigy in the closet and never thought about it since I have a 2.1 Altec Lansing analog speakers,then I have been hearing if you are not useing digital then the soundstorm is'nt that great.Well I decided to put it back in and download the new S.B.A drivers and all I could say was damn I could not believe the differences I been playing all my games and when I played Far Cry again it was like I was missing half the sounds.All I know IMO if you are useing analog speakers the Audigy makes all the difference in the would.And all I have is the Audigy 1.

Omega53
03-31-04, 12:02 PM
Dude, just get an audigy 2 zs and you will hear even more sounds and effects. I have to say its the best 100 bucks ive ever spent on a computer

Drumphil
03-31-04, 10:43 PM
"All I know IMO if you are useing analog speakers the Audigy makes all the difference in the would.And all I have is the Audigy 1.
"

ive been trying to say this for ages, but people do not understand the significance of the difference in quality of the DAC chips on a good sound card, vs on-board audio.

ChrisRay
04-01-04, 02:44 AM
Ya I use my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz over my sound storm. The SoundStorm is faster but IMO the Analog Quality of Santa Cruz cant be beat :)

stncttr908
04-01-04, 10:32 AM
You can get an Audigy 2 ZS retail for less than $90 from ZipZoomFly (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=290223) if you're interested. You get the retail package with a decent warranty and a couple of free games to boot.

sxotty
04-01-04, 02:27 PM
Everyone agrees.

But this is the point youguys miss, it is not that soundstorm is bad. Soundstorm only outputs digital signals, and then some crappy onboard dac converts them.

In fact supposedly you can connect the digital out of a soundstorm to an audigy and effectively use the audigies dac's I haven't done it though just heard it worked out well.

Nutty
04-01-04, 03:01 PM
The audigy might be great, but I still think analogue out SoundStorm is pretty good.. I remember when I 1st got my nforce2 I heard loads more sounds in CS over my bog standard SB live 5.1.

Should sound even better when I get a dedicated DD decoding amp, and use the digital output.

betterdan
04-02-04, 04:12 AM
Do you think if I get an audigy2 to replace my sb live 5.1 it will improve frame rates at all? Waht about the santa cruz sound card? I'm sure it will sound a lot better right?

sxotty
04-02-04, 08:56 AM
The santa cruz is quite good but it is really old, they (voyetra) have been negligent in not making anything new or better.

betterdan
04-02-04, 09:19 AM
So which one to get, the Santa Cruz or Audigy2?

saturnotaku
04-02-04, 09:35 AM
The Santa Cruz isn't supported any more. Get the Audigy 2.

they (voyetra) have been negligent in not making anything new or better.

The prevailing rumor was that Voyetra was getting out of the PC sound card game for good. But recently they announced two new products - the Catalina and Riviera. Here's the press release (http://www.turtle-beach.com/site/press/releases/riv_cat_032304.asp).

betterdan
04-02-04, 11:34 AM
Thanks only one more question then i will be out to go get a new sound card :D
Will I notice a lot less cpu utilization (better frames per second) in games with the audigy 2 over my live 5.1 card?

saturnotaku
04-02-04, 11:47 AM
Will I notice a lot less cpu utilization (better frames per second) in games with the audigy 2 over my live 5.1 card?

It's been a while since I've used the SB Live. But I can tell you right now that the A2 makes a pretty big difference in terms of frame rate. In the few benches I've done with the A2, I've noticed performance increases as high as 15-20% over Soundstorm.

john19055
04-02-04, 01:54 PM
It seems like I gain 2 or 3 FPS in Far CRy but even if I lost 2 or 3 the sound quaility just makes it more then worth it.

betterdan
04-02-04, 09:41 PM
Thanks all I bought an Audigy 2 ZS today and got it installed. The drivers on the cd wouldn't let my AntiVir guard start up and my network icon in the tray wouldn't show up. I updated the drivers by the autoupdate on Creative's site and now it's working fine. It does indeed sound a lot better than the SB Live I had. Can't wait for the gf to go to bed so I can crank up the sound in some games :) I noticed with the UT 2004 demo I get better frame rates now and now when i enable eax it gets the same frame rates as the SB Live did with no Eax enabled. Thanks again this seems like a great card.