PDA

View Full Version : NV40 Capabilities Clips

jAkUp
03-31-04, 08:20 PM
This just up at our own Homepage :)

NVIDIA's Developer web site has been updated with rendering video clips that serve to demonstrate a variety of special graphics effects that will be possible with the soon to be announced NV40.
High Dynamic Range Rendering - Uses floating-point textures to accurately represent high dynamic range lighting

Displacement Mapping - Uses Vertex Shader 3.0 to displace vertices as specified by a texture map

Motion Blur - Uses floating-point blending to accurately simulate motion blur in real-time

3D Paint - Uses floating-point textures and floating-point blending to allow complex image manipulations in real-time

Multiple Lights - Uses the looping features of Pixel Shader 3.0 to computing lighting from many lights with a single program

Deferred Shading - Uses Multiple Render Targets to calculate lighting more efficiently

Water Simulation - Performs a complex water simulation using vertex texture fetch (a Vertex Shader 3.0 feature)

http://developer.nvidia.com/page/home

-=DVS=-
03-31-04, 09:05 PM
Thats all cool but we want benchies :D lotsa reviews :drooling:

Ninja Prime
03-31-04, 11:35 PM
While there is no doubt that those are some sweet looking graphics, I'm not too impressed yet, as we have all those effects on our current gen cards, just done differently.

AthlonXP1800
03-31-04, 11:48 PM
It amazing these demos like 3D paint done in real time, I did that effects with Photo Shop Pro but it didnt rendering in real time, it use lots of CPU processing power, it take little time to rendering in background and display end result. Current CPUs are capable of calculate at least 5 billions per second, can you imagine in near future paint programs add NV40 support that will mean to take over the CPU processing power and the GPU has the capable to calculate trillions per second, it more than enough to render in real time. :)

Clay
04-01-04, 12:15 AM
just done differently.Differently = better? ;) Proof of concept material like this is never meant to "wow"...which I wasn't either as yourself. However, the water physics were very impressive. I've not seen the physics of water represented as accurately and realistically as this water demo exhibited.

Evildeus
04-01-04, 02:05 AM
Just a reminder
Please note that the video clips were captured from live demos via a digital-to-analog scan converter and then recompressed. Although the voice-over explains the concepts behind each technique, colors and frame rates are not represented accurately and the effective resolution is reduced significantly.

flick556
04-01-04, 02:31 AM
Also just to add my two since I always here this argument about the sound being good so the vid also must be good.

Sound and video are almost always compressed separately, it's then up to your cpu to synch them if one happens to move faster than the other. Also frame skips can occur to either so if video is moving to slow and sound is moving fine your player can skip some video frames without affecting audio, the opposite is also possible as well as both can be lagging. Also playing these in anything other than thier native resolution creates some work for your system, which if your box is not fast enough can also cause lag.

You can open the videos in a movie editor and export it as a uncompressed avi, for me this got rid of the choppiness caused by the video, which is extremely variable based on your cpu speed and any hardware acceleration occurring (sound card or video card). The file size of the Displacement_Mapping.avi which is one of the smaller ones was 180mb after doing this. The NV40 seems to be able to handle this demo with very high frame rates I’m still trying the other vids.

Morrow
04-01-04, 01:04 PM
just on a sidenote: These are NOT the demos nvidia will use to demonstrate the nv40 on 13th April!

The posted videoclips are just technical demonstrations of SM 3.0. The nv40 demos will be much more impressive :)

MUYA
04-01-04, 01:11 PM
just on a sidenote: These are NOT the demos nvidia will use to demonstrate the nv40 on 13th April!

The posted videoclips are just technical demonstrations of SM 3.0. The nv40 demos will much more impressive :)

Cool!!! (foshiz)

einstein_314
04-01-04, 01:36 PM
I can't wait for the actual demos. I wonder what they will be?

Nutty
04-01-04, 02:12 PM
Well Dawn seemed pretty popular, so maybe her younger sis.. ? ;)

Toaster
04-01-04, 02:20 PM
A Dawn and Dusk naked mudwrestling match.

And wasn't Futuremark supposed to do an NV40 demo as well? I remember some anouncement from NV right after the lawyer crap thingy between Futuremark and NV.

GlowStick
04-01-04, 03:17 PM
These demos did look pritty cool, i like the teapot one heh.

GamblerFEXonlin
04-01-04, 03:34 PM
we have all those effects on our current gen cards, just done differently.

Yes, but the NV40 could mix 8 lights in one pass because of PS 3.0 (or was it 10 lights and PS 1.4?).

The water-demo shows you gotta have lots of polygons in addition to pixel effekts damit.

Finally a usable displacement feature?

I still belive lots of polygons is good becaus then you can have

- holes in bodies and intestines dangling out
- even better physics (you wouldnt belive how cool a heavy-looking gas barrel can get)
- polygoned "sticky" slow blood (instead of this flat sprite stuff today)
- 100 monsters at non-drop 60 FPS hurlig toward your minigun loaded with high-velocity ammo.

you guys should demand more polygon power, that is my mission.

Nv40
04-01-04, 04:56 PM
ok guys.. here is may takes on those videos.. :)

the one that i liked the most was the
1)HDR video..
yes there are demos already available ,it can be done in PS2.0 hardware ,but still is not good enough , as it can be ,according to VAlve.

on the question about NEXt Generation hardware capabilities
VAlve told.

Thursday 25th December 2003
We're going to see continued evolution and improvement of shadowing solutions, and far superior lighting solutions like high-dynamic range rendering (HDR). HDR is already possible, but we'll see better implementations made possible by new hardware available within a year.

2)the water simulation

THat was very nice demostration ,real looking water is one of the most dificult things to do in computer graphics (if not the most) ,not only dificult in gaming ,but also in non realtime Proffesional Graphics . so its very nice to see for the first time ,water that -displace- water ,but also simulated refractions under the water ,wich is fantastic. still doesnt look exactly like real water ,shaders 3.0 doesnt solve everything ,but the behavior now is more natural looking .. so any game developer with talent can show something much more closer to the real thing.

3)the 3dpaint

i think if NVdia manages to talk to ADOBE and make them support PS3.0 in Photoshop , it will a must have feature for people that depends on Photoshop for a living.

4)the displacement mapping is really nice too. i remember JohnCarmack complains about DM in ATI/NVidia in first generation of Dx9 hardware. it should be interesting to know what he thinks now ,since PS3.0 allows more natural DM.

all other demos seems to be more performance improvements ,that its possibile in SM3.0.

freak77power
04-01-04, 05:40 PM
Only good thing there is DM...
Everything else looks nothing special...ATI presented similar demos more than a year ago with those balls and the big one in the middle (Radeon 9700Pro)
What we see now is the level of shading and performance of PS, which matches to r360's. Till now, GFX cards were actually advanced dx 8.1 cards...or i should say dx9.0 entry level cards...

Nv40
04-01-04, 06:50 PM
Only good thing there is DM...
Everything else looks nothing special...ATI presented similar demos more than a year ago with those balls and the big one in the middle (Radeon 9700Pro)
What we see now is the level of shading and performance of PS, which matches to r360's. Till now, GFX cards were actually advanced dx 8.1 cards...or i should say dx9.0 entry level cards...

yep ,but now things are inverted.. R3xx /R4xx hardware will be treated as entry level Dx9 cards ,only for simplistic effects ,suporting only the minimun specs ,while Nvdia Nv4x hardware will be doing the more interesting and Advanced and Complex effects,since its a whole new Generation ahead. :thumbsup:

note.. ofcourse this is true only if the rumors of ATI R4xx generation hardware not supporting SM3.0 (until R5xx) are true ,we will need to wait for final reviews and see . :)

Razor04
04-01-04, 07:36 PM
yep ,but now things are inverted.. R3xx /R4xx hardware will be treated as entry level Dx9 cards ,only for simplistic effects ,suporting only the minimun specs ,while Nvdia Nv4x hardware will be doing the more interesting and Advanced and Complex effects,since its a whole new Generation ahead. :thumbsup:
I would by no means classify the R3XX as entry level DX9. They have proven their capabilities time and time again while certain other entry level DX9 cards have proven that they are nothing more than a feature listed on the back of the box. Whether you would like to admit it or not the R3XX is still an extremely viable solution and will be for some time. If ATI did choose to stick with PS 2.0 only it could very well be the right decision for this generation as there isn't an abundance of PS 3.0 titles either announced or in the market. Even if there were the extent to which they would be used is dependant on whether a cards architecture allows them to be used at a decent speed. Besides...PS 2.0 is the baseline for DX9 and will most likely be used much much more than PS 3.0 until the market is saturated with 3.0 capable hardware (that can actually use it at a decent speed) so concentrating on the speed of PS 2.0 could be the right decision. Frankly there are still way too many unknowns at this point to tell who will be the winner in the end. Even when the first reviews are released we won't know enough to tell. Sure we will know what cool new features are on the cards but I think we need to wait for the cards to be picked apart to truly see who is the winner.

nForceMan
04-02-04, 04:26 AM
Edited: that was not needed

Remi
04-02-04, 04:46 AM
Please, please... If Valve thinks it should treat GFXs as DX8 cards, it's Valve's choice.

You know, and it seems to be a little known thing, but developpers actually comes with a feature called "a mind", and you may think it's a rumor but I've heard that they use it to make their own decisions.

When you speaks of their decision, then please speak of that - their decisions. Not just a marketing message supported by a company who migth be preparing an excellent game, but has also recently advanced a lot in the road leading to poor credibility.

Thanks.

theultimo
04-02-04, 05:56 AM
Please, please... If Valve thinks it should treat GFXs as DX8 cards, it's Valve's choice.

You know, and it seems to be a little known thing, but developpers actually comes with a feature called "a mind", and you may think it's a rumor but I've heard that they use it to make their own decisions.

When you speaks of their decision, then please speak of that - their decisions. Not just a marketing message supported by a company who migth be preparing an excellent game, but has also recently advanced a lot in the road leading to poor credibility.

Thanks.

Exactly. ATI and nVidia had differing opinions. Thats all. Both chips are incredably fast, moreso then any other competitor (XGI, PowerVR, S3).

So what if a card gets +-5% then another, as long as it plays what you want at the performance you want, why complain?

I've said this time and time again, even the slow 5200 has its merits!

Toaster
04-02-04, 06:55 AM
Yes, but the NV40 could mix 8 lights in one pass because of PS 3.0 (or was it 10 lights and PS 1.4?).

The trick about the teapot-demo is that one shader can do a single light or 1000 lights. In ps2.0 you need a seperate shader for each number of lights.

Nutty
04-02-04, 07:04 AM
Yep, and reduced shaders, means reduced resources, and less shader switching, which again improves performance further.

volkskrant
04-02-04, 12:00 PM
*sigh* Dumb FANatiC talk, FUD and PR :bs: over and over again. :lame:

Claiming someone just spreads BS with Smilies and not countering or even touching his allegations isn't exactly objective either...
Your reaction inclines me to conclude you show fanboy charateristics yourself :screwy: