PDA

View Full Version : When we gonna start dropping the res and realizing AA is still possible?

ChrisRay
04-01-04, 05:34 AM
Since Shaders today are becoming a fill rate Issue, Its been occuring to me. People Claim how poorly Far Cry runs for example.

Obviously dropping resolution will = More Performance. Even in Shaders, Theres Simply less to shade, And the Fill Rate isnt as much as a bottleneck, And I was also thinking. Since AA is mostly a bandwith issue, We could probably turn AA on and still see Greater Quality @ 640x480 or 800x600, Due Memory bandwith being our friends (least FX cards and prolly ATI cards too)

with the coming storm of shader titles, We're gonna be seeing this more and more. Either way Running @ lower resolution with AA is usually producing less of a performance hit with NVidia and ATI cards than running @ a higher res with AA/AF off,

Note to me this only applies to FX and r300 cards, Not geforce 4 users since AA is so damn demanding on those cards.

Mariner
04-01-04, 06:09 AM
I think one of the main problems now is that lots of people have LCD monitors which, of course, have a fixed resolution. Lowering resolution on these just provides a crappy image so it's always preferable to stay at native resolution.

ChrisRay
04-01-04, 06:11 AM
I think one of the main problems now is that lots of people have LCD monitors which, of course, have a fixed resolution. Lowering resolution on these just provides a crappy image so it's always preferable to stay at native resolution.

Touche to that, I guess there are advantages to my old Flat screens here :)

dan2097
04-01-04, 09:41 AM
Dont know whether that applies to the full version of farcry as the aa is broken on ATI cards in the demo version and I dont have the full game, although I think it should apply.

The main problem is that the techniques developers are using often breaks fsaa. For example halo cant use fsaa, could really do with some in 800x600 (which is the resolution I use so it doesnt get slow down in indoor fire fights)

MUYA
04-01-04, 09:50 AM
AA is not broken on the retail version and my 9700 Pro (omega drivers)

MUYA
04-01-04, 09:52 AM
Please tell me more dude, I have a LCD mon if you look at my sig but I always play below the reccomned 1280 by 1024 for my mon. I notice if i drop below this res on my desktop, the 2d gets really bad, blurred text etc....on DVI too!

WarheadMM
04-01-04, 09:55 AM
he means that AA doesnt work with DX9 shaders. Also if you drop the rez the game will look like crap. People want quality.....it doesnt matter how much AA and AF you use in 800x600...it will still look like crap

dan2097
04-01-04, 09:58 AM
he means that AA doesnt work with DX9 shaders. Also if you drop the rez the game will look like crap. People want quality.....it doesnt matter how much AA and AF you use in 800x600...it will still look like crap

If hyopthetically the fsaa was free, Id take it even in 800x600, a smooth low res image is better than a pixellated low res image :)

MUYA
04-01-04, 10:02 AM
are u posting a reply to my post?

I asked about LCD mons and resolutions dude, and see how the quality will be affected by dropping resolutions from native resolution. I didn't ask about Aa and DX 9 . ;)

OWA
04-01-04, 10:08 AM
It's having to interpolate when using a lower res than the LCD's native resolution. So, the desktop is going to be blurry. That happens in games as well it's just not as noticeable.

MUYA
04-01-04, 10:17 AM
It's having to interpolate when using a lower res than the LCD's native resolution. So, the desktop is going to be blurry. That happens in games as well it's just not as noticeable.
Thanks man...not that i noticed in games :D too busy gaming to notice..also not static objects in games to fully realise..gonna have to investigate ;)

OWA
04-01-04, 10:29 AM
A good way to think about it is that it still has to use the same number of pixels etc. when dropping the resolution. So for example, at the true res you have 1 to 1 whereas if you reduce the resolution it might clump together 5 pixels and call it one to reduce to the number required by the lower resolution. Something to that effect anyway. Some of the newer LCDs will allow you to display the image in the middle of the LCD and I think in that case, it doesn't interpolate but rather just cuts off the extra pixels. So, it's not blurry but the side effect is that you then have a large black border around your image.

Edit: Yeah, I rarely notice it either unless I stop in the middle of the game and try to see it.

StealthHawk
04-02-04, 02:00 AM
640X480 is still a blurry mess :(

ninelven
04-02-04, 02:59 AM
As I think was said earlier, the problem of broken AA WRT shaders is the issue. Simply upping the resolution is really the only solution at this point besides SSAA. Ideally, one should at least be using a high enough resolution that the texture size being used actually makes sense as well :).

theultimo
04-02-04, 03:03 AM
A good way to think about it is that it still has to use the same number of pixels etc. when dropping the resolution. So for example, at the true res you have 1 to 1 whereas if you reduce the resolution it might clump together 5 pixels and call it one to reduce to the number required by the lower resolution. Something to that effect anyway. Some of the newer LCDs will allow you to display the image in the middle of the LCD and I think in that case, it doesn't interpolate but rather just cuts off the extra pixels. So, it's not blurry but the side effect is that you then have a large black border around your image.

Edit: Yeah, I rarely notice it either unless I stop in the middle of the game and try to see it.
The FX Line does compensate better for this then Onboard on LCD's for laptops. My 1400x1050 laptop looks fine at 1024x768, with a little blurring.
The Intel "EXTREEEEEEEMMMMMMM" Graphics suck at this, for example.