PDA

View Full Version : What ATI user thinks about NVIDIA drivers...

Pages : [1] 2

freak77power
04-02-04, 03:19 AM
I have two machines: Gaming and Business...
In my gaming machine I have installed ATI Radeon 9800XT. In my second machine i have installed NVIDIA GF4ti 4600. I just installed the latest NVIDIA drivers, and I can tell that those guys from NVIDIA driver department know their job. Since I have dual monitors, NView works frawless. I never could strech taskbar using hydravision software from ATI. I don't want to go into drivers in a sense of gaming, but my overall impression is that the display control panel looks almost perfect. It's really nicely managed, and 2D performance is much faster than I have with ATI drivers....
NVIDIA have really good programmers...

Sazar
04-02-04, 03:24 AM
I have to admit the nvidia drivers/app for dual monitor seem far superior to hydravision..

when I was running dual monitor I was using ultramon to do my work and it worked well enough for me and did everything I wanted it to do that hydravision didn't...

freak77power
04-02-04, 03:25 AM
I'm really looking forward NV40, and after three years of having ATI card (which worked frawless for me as well), I could switch to NVIDIA. I hope they are going to bring the faster solution than ATI, otherwise I will stay with ATI.
I'm not a person who holds any of side ATI or NVIDIA, I'm just looking for what is better. Many people are wasting their energy in these conversations... :screwy:

freak77power
04-02-04, 03:28 AM
ATI needs to redesign everything from scratch...I'm not talking about drivers, but control panel, hydravision software.

OWA
04-02-04, 02:05 PM
I'm shocked! I thought you were definitely anti-nv so I thought this was an april fools joke at first but then noticed it was posted today. :)

freak77power
04-03-04, 01:19 AM
I'm shocked! I thought you were definitely anti-nv so I thought this was an april fools joke at first but then noticed it was posted today. :)

I'm not on either side. I'm just a customer, who is looking for better product in order to justify lost of 500$ :drooling:

Blacklash
04-03-04, 05:37 AM
I have cards from both companies too. I can say ATI has vastly improved their driver quality. I have always said though, I wish ATI designed the hardware and Nvidia just the drivers. If Nvidia refuses to support PS 2.0 in the correct fashion this time, I could very well shift wholly to ATI. Why? Because we have yet to truly harvest/exploit PS 2.0. Supporting PS 3.0 is nice but it's abit much to ask developers to leave a huge sector of people out of their games. Hell many are still using PS 1.1.

Still I would like to have competition high so we could benefit from real price wars etc.

We will see what's what shortly.

Sazar
04-03-04, 11:42 AM
I don't mind the drivers and the control panel so much... I guess I am spoilt coz I use the MMC software a fair deal and it is head and shoulders better than anything I have seen from other companies :D

but hydravision DOES need work (oh boy does it ever.. I have never used it other than the first time I got my 2nd monitor) and extra functionality in the drivers to give better control over desktop and dual-mon's will make it better :)

freak77power
04-03-04, 08:40 PM
Drivers are fine, and MMC. Hydravision needs work..

ChrisRay
04-03-04, 08:49 PM
I wish NVDVD was included in Nvidias Software Suite, Its much much better than the MMC, IMO, And offers almost all the features, Unfortunately, it cost money so cant truly be compared.

OWA
04-03-04, 11:12 PM
I thought it would be included in the multimedia suite.

ChrisRay
04-04-04, 12:04 AM
Nope.. Nvidia insists on charging for it, Some ways rightfully so, Because its way better than the MMC, But... Doesnt mean I pay for it. I just obtained it another way...

particleman
04-04-04, 03:25 AM
ATi's MMC is built off PowerDVD which is a great software DVD player but the version in MMC is crippled, limited sound options, and just limited options in general. The lack of 5.1 audio configuration options the main advantage of NVDVD. Of course MMC does other stuff as well like TV & Video-In & it does make a good all-in-one Multimedia suite for HTPCs. But for just DVD's NVDVD is better. But personally if I am going to pay for a software DVD player I would go with PowerDVD or WinDVD.

ChrisRay
04-04-04, 04:25 AM
ATi's MMC is built off PowerDVD which is a great software DVD player but the version in MMC is crippled, limited sound options, and just limited options in general. The lack of 5.1 audio configuration options the main advantage of NVDVD. Of course MMC does other stuff as well like TV & Video-In & it does make a good all-in-one Multimedia suite for HTPCs. But for just DVD's NVDVD is better. But personally if I am going to pay for a software DVD player I would go with PowerDVD or WinDVD.

Well NVDVD offers mpeg, Mp3, Ect playback as well. Similar to ATIS File Player.

freak77power
04-04-04, 09:19 PM
The interesting thing is that NVIDIA driver's package is a lot smaller than than ATI's driver package.
ATI's driver package which includes display drivers + control panel + wdm drivers is about 24MB if I'm right + hydravision software 6mb.
Nvidia's package only weights 17MB including NView, control panel, display drivers and not sure about wdm drivers...

I guess Nvidia drivers have a lot smaller number of line codes, from my experience in the programming.
ATI have good drivers talking about display drivers and control panel. After they fixed color gamma issue, works frawless. I hope they put game profile option, like Nvidia did...

Sazar
04-04-04, 09:51 PM
I dun use ati's dvd player if I can help it... however ati's dvd decoder is pretty exceptional..

the one advantage of ati's dvd player :) it works perfect with the remote wonder... ah the joys of lying in bed watching tv and then switching over to dvd or audio cd :cool:

but the dvd player by itself is not nearly as good as a few other options...

have heard good things bout the nvdvd thinger or whatever its called... but I can't be arsed to pay for it :(

Shamrock
04-04-04, 10:26 PM
The interesting thing is that NVIDIA driver's package is a lot smaller than than ATI's driver package.
ATI's driver package which includes display drivers + control panel + wdm drivers is about 24MB if I'm right + hydravision software 6mb.
Nvidia's package only weights 17MB including NView, control panel, display drivers and not sure about wdm drivers...

I guess Nvidia drivers have a lot smaller number of line codes, from my experience in the programming.
ATI have good drivers talking about display drivers and control panel. After they fixed color gamma issue, works frawless. I hope they put game profile option, like Nvidia did...

that's for the international version, the English only version weighs in at 11,200kb

fallguy
04-05-04, 04:54 AM
I have a 9800XT in one machine, and a 5900NU in anther. So I deal with both drivers pretty often. I like different things about each of them. I REALLY like the game profiles in nVidias, but I dont like how there isnt a seperate D3D and OpenGL tab. I didnt like ATi's 3D tab at first, but now I do.

So I guess in short, Id like to have the ATi driver set up, with nVidias game profiles. The popup blocker would be nice too.

Sazar
04-05-04, 11:05 AM
there should be a parhelia thinger in this thread as well..

from what I have seen the parhelia has a decent CP...

Cota
04-05-04, 08:06 PM
I wish NVDVD was included in Nvidias Software Suite, Its much much better than the MMC, IMO, And offers almost all the features, Unfortunately, it cost money so cant truly be compared.

Many FX cards include nvdvd OEM and some even the full version.

One thing I like about Nv drivers are all the options it has.

Before I had to use 3rd party programs to accomplish what I can do with the latest nvidia drivers.

I can capture video, play games with 3d glasses, display on the TV with overscan, set refresh rates and even block pop-ups.

Oh and I can play games too...

theultimo
04-06-04, 12:08 AM
Many FX cards include nvdvd OEM and some even the full version.

One thing I like about Nv drivers are all the options it has.

Before I had to use 3rd party programs to accomplish what I can do with the latest nvidia drivers.

I can capture video, play games with 3d glasses, display on the TV with overscan, set refresh rates and even block pop-ups.

Oh and I can play games too...
Nv DVD 2.55 was included with my laptop. EXCELLENT dvd player.

DSC
04-11-04, 12:16 AM
I'm was using NVDVD 2.55 previously and atm I'm trying out Forceware Multimedia 3.00.50.00. Too bad the FWMM 3.0 installer uninstalls NVDVD 2.55, can't have both on 1 comp. Hope Nvidia will officially release FWMM 3.0 final soon, I kinda like the improvements in it.

XanderF
04-13-04, 12:42 AM
I REALLY like the game profiles in nVidias, but I dont like how there isnt a seperate D3D and OpenGL tab. I didnt like ATi's 3D tab at first, but now I do.

Errr...what's the point of having a seperate Direct3d and OpenGL tab WITH game profiles? :screwy:

I mean, do you really need to set your Direct3d or OpenGL settings *differently* for the SAME GAME? Seriously, I think I can count on one hand the number of games that even SUPPORTS both DirectX and OpenGL.

Having seperate Direct3d and OpenGL tabs should be thought of as the step immediately before game profiles. Once you have them, you don't need to group your games into just two sections - 'OpenGL games' and 'Direct3d games' and set two different profiles that much catch all your games using the defined API. You can define the settings on a game-by-game basis.
I'm was using NVDVD 2.55 previously and atm I'm trying out Forceware Multimedia 3.00.50.00
Are you referring to the rumored 'Forceware Multimedia Application'!? That can stream video over the network to client PCs!?!?

If so, I *desperately* need to try this program out! Right now, I'm using Snapstream's BeyondTV to stream my TV tuner across the network, but....well....it sucks. A lot. It's a HUGE CPU hog, and I'd really like to give something different a try before my trial expires on this one.

Where did you find it?

DSC
04-13-04, 12:55 AM
This was the FWMM that was leaked out on the web a sometime ago, it's definately not the final release and it doesn't have streaming capabilities in this version, it's more closer to NVDVD 2.55 atm in features, it just plays DVDs.

XanderF
04-13-04, 01:11 AM
Bummer. I thought I had been keeping pretty up-to-date on this and was surprised by your post.

Still no ETA, then, huh? Drag....