PDA

View Full Version : Any Real Issues Conserning 56.72 Drivers and FarCry

fingermouth
04-02-04, 10:13 PM
Ive come to a conclusion that Far Cry has much better results with the 53.03 drivers. Ive been to hell and back with testing to prove a point that there is nothing wrong with my hardware or drivers. Ive started with 53.03 and FarCry, all works well. Ive went to 56.72 because its a new driver and people on here give them praise for how well they are in games. I start FarCry with a fresh install of 56.72 and run FarCry. I get awful color globs all over the place with Flickering and checkered brush and trees. A post cliams it could be hardware so i decided to do some troubleshooting. I flashed my 5900 to a 5950 a month ago and all my other games work just fine with 53.03 drivers and they worked ok with 56.72 drivers but FarCry so i reflashed my card back to a non Ultra 5900 and reinstalled 56.72 and it did the same thing so i went to verify this by replacing the card with a 5600Ultra and it did the same thing with the 56.72 drivers so i put the card back in and flashed it back to a 5950 Ultra and no luck so i played with settings in game and when turning off AA and seting AF to 1 the game actually worked ok until i raised AF to high and AA to higher. even a mix of no AA and AF and the game started showing checkered trees and black water and even sand looked checkered. So i went back to 53.03 drivers and the game runs again with no glitches so its not a hardware issue. I think its a driver issue with 56.72 and PS2 shaders.All other games work fine with drivers from 53 and up. Im getting tired of Nvidia not testing with DX9 games. Im about ready to switch to ATI because i seen this game on ATI 9800's and damn its looks good even better than Nvidia and no lag at all and settings were highest. If there is a fix that will stick in the 56.72 drivres, i would like to know because i like the new drivers but they suck in FarCry with AA or AF enabled.

ginfest
04-03-04, 04:27 AM
=============================================
Init Shaders
7 Shader files found.

127 Shader files found.

Construct Shader '<Default>'...ok
Construct Shader 'ZBuffPass'...ok
Construct Shader 'ShadowMap'...ok
Construct Shader 'EdgePass'...ok
Compile System Shader 'StateNoCull'...ok
Compile System Shader 'SunFlares'...ok
2 Sun flares was parsed
Compile System Shader 'LightStyles'...ok
34 Light styles was parsed
Compile Glare Shader ...
Compile System HW Shader 'CGVProgramms'...ok
Compile System HW Shader 'CGPShaders'...ok
Compile System Shader 'TemplFog'...ok
Compile System Shader 'TemplVFog'...Fail.
Compile System Shader 'TemplFog_FP'...ok
Compile System Shader 'TemplFogCaustics'...ok
Compile System Shader 'TemplVFogCaustics'...Fail.
Compile System Shader 'TemplFogCaustics_FP '...ok
=============================================

No matter what drivers, the 2 lines above with "Fail" have occured since the 1.1 patch (all others are the same) and that's when I started getting the weird textures/flashing, etc that others have reported. Everything else is on Very High/water on Ultra High/AA and AF set in game and left at "App Controlled" in the NV control panel.
When I set Shadows to Medium the crap goes away.
Anyway, does any1 know what those lines are-seems to refer to Volumetric Fog ( not sure how that is related to shadows) and is there any other driver setting, maybe with rivatuner that would help get shadows back?

Mike G

fingermouth
04-03-04, 03:04 PM
Sounds like there will be more patches out for this game or better drivers from Nvidia.

OWA
04-03-04, 03:50 PM
The 56.72s are working better for me. I did recently test the 53.03s again just to grab some screencaps but I much prefer the 56.72s. The performance is better and the quality is better (due to the fog fix, etc.). The only thing I'm unhappy about at the moment (beside the game not running at very high framerates on either of my systems) is that the patch seems to reduce the quality on nvidia cards and messes up some of the effects on both nvidia and ati cards.

Edit: I know you said you went back to the 53.03s and things were fine but it really does sound like your card is messed up (hardware-wise). The drivers can change how things react as well. I've consistently had to lower my overclocks with later drivers on my ATI card and my nvidia card. Each new driver seems to push the hardware a little harder so maybe your card is marginal and with the new drivers pushing it a little harder, the hardware starts to buckle.

theultimo
04-03-04, 08:10 PM
Sounds like there will be more patches out for this game or better drivers from Nvidia.
Was'nt this the case with Quake 3/UT/Deus Ex?

fingermouth
04-03-04, 09:06 PM
Yep!

Blacklash
04-05-04, 11:54 PM
I like 53.03's best myself. I re installed Far Cry without the patch just to compare. Right now though I don't have a real card to compare with. *chuckles* I will give it a go when the NV40 hits. Now I am stuck with a geforce 4 4600.

fingermouth
04-05-04, 11:59 PM
when you play FarCry and exit and do something else that requires hardware sound. Does you soundcard act up or give a no soundcard error. It does for me. I will be playing the game and when i exit to play another game, it will give me sound errors in Max payne and when i go to souncard test in CP under sound advanced tab to voice and do a test it will fail or says no soundcard. But when i reboot everything is fine with sound. I called Creative Labs and they don't know either. Have fun

Cheers:
The Bigman

ajay()
04-06-04, 10:21 AM
I've a geforcefx 5900 ultra, and have stuck with the 53.03 drivers for quite a while, and tbh they fine with Far Cry, slower indoors, but generally fine. They had many issues with patch 1.1, so I just stuck with 1.0.
Anyway I recently took a chance with 56.72 and the 1.1 patch, and have had NO problems at all with either, and I've gained a reasonable speed increase in indoor areas.

I realise I'm lucky, and others ahve suffered with both 56.xx and 1.1, and up til now I've stuck with 53.03 'cos they've been the most stable and had the greates compatibility, but I'm failry pleased with 56.72 for now.

fingermouth
04-06-04, 04:20 PM
I don't know any of the two, FarCry or Nvidia Can't get it right with drivers and this game. Im playing in the research lab know and its been working on 53.03 drivers. my main concern is the sound problem after you exit FarCry with an Audigy 2. You hear sound but when you go to an app that uses hardware sound, it gives you the error of no sound device detected but a reboot fixes that.

ATI_Dude
04-07-04, 07:07 AM
I don't know any of the two, FarCry or Nvidia Can't get it right with drivers and this game. Im playing in the research lab know and its been working on 53.03 drivers. my main concern is the sound problem after you exit FarCry with an Audigy 2. You hear sound but when you go to an app that uses hardware sound, it gives you the error of no sound device detected but a reboot fixes that.

In regards to your Audigy 2 problem:

Update your drivers. You may have to use the Audigy 2 ZS drivers (wdm 443). You can find more information at www.3dsoundsurge.com on the Audigy discussion board.

zoomy942
04-07-04, 09:35 AM
how about anyone having trouble when running far cry in openGL mode? i try it and i have horizontally aligned black lines giong down the screen... thats in the menus.. in the game it doesnt do that but there are graphical glithces. and this is only around when i have vsync disabled. when i enable it iot goes away. its bugging me. i tried the 56.72 and the starstorm 56.72 and they both did it.

CaiNaM
04-07-04, 11:33 PM
no problems with the latest drivers.. i do however have problems with the 1.1 patch.

saturnotaku
04-07-04, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure if this is an Audigy2/NVIDIA combination problem, but hardware sound doesn't cause other problems for me in conjunction with my 9800 Pro. Sometimes the sound crackles/cuts out at weird times, but I don't lose audio in any other applications or games. I'm using the latest Audigy drivers as well.

fingermouth
04-08-04, 01:18 AM
hey bud , whats up? Im havinge no probs know with FarCry and im getting near the end of the game so props for me. Its what i think something to do with a setting in the game or stress on the sound hardware because in the game sound is great but when i exit to desktop to do something else like Max Payne i get an audio error sndmsc.dl error in game and puts me back to desktop with error in event log and nocks out sound in voice test in sound properties but all tests pass in Creative diagnostics so this is weird for me. I called Creative and bitched at them but its not in their hands and they think its a DX thng or FarCry but a reboot makes things well.

Cheers:
The Bigman

zoomy942
04-08-04, 08:53 AM
hey bud , whats up? Im havinge no probs know with FarCry and im getting near the end of the game so props for me. Its what i think something to do with a setting in the game or stress on the sound hardware because in the game sound is great but when i exit to desktop to do something else like Max Payne i get an audio error sndmsc.dl error in game and puts me back to desktop with error in event log and nocks out sound in voice test in sound properties but all tests pass in Creative diagnostics so this is weird for me. I called Creative and bitched at them but its not in their hands and they think its a DX thng or FarCry but a reboot makes things well.

Cheers:
The Bigman

i dont know if this would help you but.. i know of a registry edit for windows that will force it to unload all .dll fuiles from memory when the program using it closes. it might help. let me know if you want to try it

theultimo
04-08-04, 03:44 PM
Well, the only issues I can find are odd rendering slowdowns with 1.1/56.72's.

fingermouth
04-08-04, 04:12 PM
Sure.

zoomy942
04-08-04, 04:29 PM
Open your registry and find the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer].

Create a new sub-key named 'AlwaysUnloadDLL' and set the default value to equal '1' to disable Windows caching the DLL in memory.

Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

fingermouth
04-08-04, 06:01 PM
I know that one. It doesn't do anything and when i create the sub key it puts its in the left paine where Explorer is. If thats the right place than im doing it right but tin the right paine where all the values are it equals 1 for disabling Dll Cache. Im lost here another call to Creative will be sutible for ths.

Blacklash
04-15-04, 11:49 AM
No sound issues in Far Cry for me. Same can be said for Painkiller.

fingermouth
04-15-04, 11:04 PM
Its not in the game, hell sound is very good with the back ground music. Its after you exit the game and start another game like Max Payne. You get a sound error but when you reboot the game starts fine with no sound issues at all i mena MaxPayne. Must be a Dll in memory or something but tired the reg tweak to no prevele.