PDA

View Full Version : Reattachin CPU pins

sxotty
04-05-04, 07:58 AM
Well as I lamented in another thread(here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26844)) my friend destroyed his cpu by trying to unscrew it from the socket... In any case he bought a new one and now has the broken one left. I was wondering whether anyone has actually tried to reattach a pin to a cpu before. I figure if I could somehow do it then I could use his old one in a new system. I thought about buying a cheapo motherboard for about $55 and then trying it out, that way if the motherboard died I wouldn't have to dry, plus I could always return it :)... anyway anyone tried anyhing like this?

ragejg
04-05-04, 11:03 AM
I've tried it...

No go... to get the solder to flow right, you need at least 600 degrees temp... I affixed a heatsink to the core to disipate heat, and I think it still killed the chip... I got it oh so perfect, but it just wouldn't work...

:(

Sazar
04-05-04, 11:15 AM
dead cpu coz of broken pin == unfixable..

if I remember correctly somene on this board did manage to get an rma of it... lucky sod :D

sxotty
04-05-04, 12:01 PM
Well how about this, could I put some kind of conductive adhesive on there maybe? I am just curious if there is anyway to do it. Seems to me all the ingenious overclockers should be able to think of something.

If you break the cpu's, I'll buy them off you. I have no qualms about reattaching pins or anything like that

But was it lies? I dunno there probably really is a way to get it to work. Such as using regular solder so it doesn't have to get to ridiculous temperatures.