PDA

View Full Version : render # of frames

zoomy942
04-05-04, 09:17 AM
in the drivers i can choose how many frames to prerender.. i would be comfortable with 2 or 3. it is default at 3. what do you think would be best for performance? i have beard arguements both ways.. i alwasy thought that is i chose 2 frames instead of 3 then,.. thats less work. and dont take into account tearing and things like that. i am only interested in performance

Greg
04-06-04, 02:54 AM
If you are after performance, then the more the merrier. I think there is a Microsoft specified limit of 3 frames but I am sure you could use a utility (like Riva Tuner) to increase it further if you can't in the driver dialog. Could grab you a few extra benchmark points, and that's about all it is worth.

The issue is that more buffered frames gets you out of sinc with the system inducing things like mouse lag. That is pretty much the reason to knock it back to 2 or even 1 if a particular game is nasty. Some games (like UT2003/4?) use a fairly efficient way to prevent lag due to this reason without causing true render stalls.