PDA

View Full Version : Application profile-driver settings don't take effect!

graphicdesign
04-06-04, 09:25 AM
Since the release of the Application profile feature, I haven't been able to use antialiasing or any of visual quality feature... I've tried over and over applying the settings but they never take effect!!!
I have no idea why?!?!?

Currently I have installed latest forceware driver 56.72..
Winxp with sp1a
Directx9.0b

Card- GF4 MX 440

OWA
04-06-04, 11:24 AM
Describe how you're doing it.

Cheeseh
04-06-04, 06:30 PM
same here, I have got MSI geforce fx 5900xt and changing even the Global Driver Settings to use 8x anti-aliasing (so I can notice) and 8x anistropy, won't do anything. whats up with that :rolleyes:

Clay
04-06-04, 06:37 PM
What games are you guys using? Can you take/post screenshots?

Cheeseh
04-06-04, 06:47 PM
I can tell you exactly ! I found out that Direct 3d games will NOT use the settings and use defaults. OpenGL games work okay with the settings (e.g. Half-life in opengl say)will work okay with your selected settings, but direct3d mode = no go :(

Cheeseh
04-06-04, 06:53 PM
oh hold on.. yeah Direct 3d is okay in HL (half-life) (settings work okay) other games, say Duke nukem MP (got with card) , selecting direct X for rendering mode will not use the settings. But choosing open GL as the rendering mode it will use the settings.

Also a lot of the text in HL (in d3d) is a bit mucked up with high AA. Not that I play it in openGL anyway!

Clay
04-06-04, 07:02 PM
oh hold on.. yeah Direct 3d is okay in HL (half-life) (settings work okay) other games, say Duke nukem MP (got with card) , selecting direct X for rendering mode will not use the settings. But choosing open GL as the rendering mode it will use the settings.

Also a lot of the text in HL (in d3d) is a bit mucked up with high AA. Not that I play it in openGL anyway!
Hmm, I don't have any of those games installed or readily available or I'd see what results I get. As for the text being mucked up, yeah, AA will do that in some games (with any card) BF1942 was bad about that too.

Richteralan
04-07-04, 08:31 AM
hm....strange, I can get this working on UT2k4, U2XMP and Far Cry.
Are you sure you know how to set?

graphicdesign
04-07-04, 08:32 AM
Yes it appears to not work in Direct3D games... apart from a few games perhaps... like 'Cheeseh' had mentioned before...
the program im mainly using is...
MS Flight Sim 2004
and another one ive tested is..
NFS Underground
both of these don't work at all with AA or any visual setting feature... the driver setting changes take no effect...
I've tired many ways of doing it with no success... could someone please post a message with the corect method of applying settings anyhow?? but im quite sure im doing right...
What I don't understand is how anyone could over look this...this should be fixed... How could Nvidia not know of this??? is there any way to overcome this quite obvious problem???

saturnotaku
04-07-04, 08:36 AM
Dunno about FS2004, but FSAA and AF simply don't work on NFS: Underground. Or rather there is a way to make it work but there are some visual quality settings within the game that you must disable in order for those options to take effect.

BTW, I'm amazed you're even able to run Underground on a GF4 MX, let alone try FSAA and AF.

OWA
04-07-04, 11:45 AM
and another one ive tested is..NFS Underground
To get AA working in NFSU you have to turn off motion blur and light trails. AA doesn't work if those are enabled. This is also why the profile for Halo automatically disables AA (certain effects won't work if AA is enabled so you either have to disable the effects or not use AA).

As far as the app profiles, it works with all the games I have so I'm not sure what is up with that. If you set the global settings does it work then? Is there any chance you're setting it with the global settings but then over-riding the settings with an application specific profile where it might not be turned on or something like that?

Edit: Just in case you're curious, these are the games I've used the app profiles for so far and appear to work correctly for me: Far Cry (although I'm now generally letting the game set it), NBA Live 2004, MVP Baseball 2004, Madden 2004, TW 2004 (although I'm now using the game to set it), Star Trek EF2, COD, NFSU, LOTR: Return of the King, Painkiller demo, CMR04 demo, Rallisport Challenge, MP2, NASCAR 2003, and UT2K4. This is with the 56.72s. I had tried more games with the 56.55s and 56.56s but after a recent fresh install I haven't gotten around to loading everything back on the system yet. The card I'm using is a PNY5900U.

graphicdesign
04-07-04, 09:23 PM
Well doesn't appear to be any setting conflicts.. may attempt reinstalling FS2004.. although had no effect after I reinstalled NFS underground..
underground.. runs smoothly...even when I had AA and AF working~~ guess it depends more on your cpu and ram in that game??? but my system isn't too flash... yeap but motion blur and light trails aren't supported by gf4mx of course because as you probably already know has no advanced pixel engines..just the T&L (correct me if I haven't used the right terms)
Anyway I find this pretty fustigating... nvidia appear to have simplified the driver tools but by adding profiles this has complicated things a bit more.. wouldn't it be a lot easier if they had an 'advanced' setting for profiles and 'standard' setup for adjusting AA etc without profiles.. or basically just replace global settings with the old menu... just a few ideas...
anyone solved the initial problem??? it worked before so it must work now!?!?

Greg
04-08-04, 02:39 AM
I notice some games run with multiple .EXEs, so add them ALL to the app list, or figure out which one is the important one. I think I had to do that for DeusEx: Invisible War. Almost a crime not to enable AF within the game :O