PDA

View Full Version : Stock HSF or Zalman

darkmiasma
04-06-04, 10:32 AM
Hey guys -

I've been running the AlphaPAL and Sunon HSF in my sig for a while now, and its just too loud for me ...

Should I go back to the Stock Intel P4 HSF or get a Zalman?

If I do go Zalman, which one do you recommend.

Thanxs.

- Mike

NickSpolec
04-06-04, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I would say something not as, ahem, aggressive would be just fine. A Pentium 4 at 2.4ghz isn't producing that great amount of heat. Stock or slightly better would be ok.

darkmiasma
04-06-04, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I would say something not as, ahem, aggressive would be just fine. A Pentium 4 at 2.4ghz isn't producing that great amount of heat. Stock or slightly better would be ok.

I'd probably drop down to about 2.1ghz ... wouldnt bother me.

Dazz
04-06-04, 03:01 PM
CLock speeds doesn't make mush diffrence it's the voltage that makes all the heat.

darkmiasma
04-06-04, 03:17 PM
CLock speeds doesn't make mush diffrence it's the voltage that makes all the heat.

I'm @ stock voltage.

saturnotaku
04-06-04, 04:11 PM
Then you could probably get away with a Zalman no problem. But what are your idle/load temperatures with your current cooling setup?

{Sniping}Waste
04-06-04, 04:38 PM
Have you though about replacing the fan with something quiter?

Dazz
04-06-04, 04:57 PM
Or use a Fan bus or something.

darkmiasma
04-07-04, 01:57 PM
Then you could probably get away with a Zalman no problem. But what are your idle/load temperatures with your current cooling setup?

I think my idle is 38C and load is 44C.

Got a suggestion for a really quiet 80MM fan?

I have a baybus for the rest of my case, but i dont want to have my CPU with anything less than full power on the fan.

saturnotaku
04-07-04, 02:47 PM
Got a suggestion for a really quiet 80MM fan?

Anything by Panaflo. Check out the fan section at http://www.heatsinkfactory.com

Even their high-output fans are extremely quiet. You could probably go for something with medium output and still be OK temperature wise.

Viral
04-07-04, 11:56 PM
What are the specs of your current fan? is it one of those 80cfm ones, cause that's even louder than my fan at full speed ^_^

Going for a 2500-3000rpm 80x25mm case fan should give good performance (~30-35cfm) but at a much more bearable noise level (25-30dBA).

darkmiasma
04-08-04, 10:35 AM
Anything by Panaflo. Check out the fan section at http://www.heatsinkfactory.com

Even their high-output fans are extremely quiet. You could probably go for something with medium output and still be OK temperature wise.

Nice site ... thanks.

I actually ordered another Sunon 80MM ... slow RPM only 17CFM, but 22 Db(A) so it should be nice and quiet.

If that doesn't get the job done, I'll check out a Panaflo ...

Thanks for all the help guys.

- Mike

saturnotaku
04-08-04, 10:42 AM
No problem. Heatsink Factory has some of the best customer service out there. They're the Newegg of heatsinks and fans. :)

darkmiasma
04-08-04, 01:54 PM
No problem. Heatsink Factory has some of the best customer service out there. They're the Newegg of heatsinks and fans. :)

The Newegg of heatsinks and fans ... i like that ... that's one hell of an endorsement. :)

darkmiasma
04-15-04, 10:38 AM
Just an update: Got the new Sunon ... nice and quite ... thanks for all the help guys.

- Mike