PDA

View Full Version : PCI cooling card

aaahhh52
04-10-04, 11:30 AM
ok i have a 5950 ultra and i was wondering if getting one of those vantec spectrum cooling cards would help cool down my card much, the vantec sits in the pci slot next to the vid card and blows air directly on it, so if i got one of those do you think that would cool down the card at all, since the 5950 has that big plastic cover over the fan and heatsinks, so would any of the air actually reach any vital parts of the card, since that huge plastic thing is in the way??

heres the link http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=120565&Sku=V13-4200&CatId=804

kev13dd
04-10-04, 11:50 AM
I don't think it would influence the card directly with a 5950. It might cool down the entire case a little which might make the car a tad bit cooler. This is a pretty nice cooling card though. Would probably do pretty good job cooling a 5900 or any other card. If only I had money...

K

anzak
04-10-04, 12:10 PM
Yeah, the plastic cover would kill effects of the vantec fan card (I just ordered one last night to cool my 9600XT since it is overheating in my microATX case). Where is the air pushed from the the FlowFX cooling system because a super duper slot fan ( http://3dcool.com/?module=product&sku=SuperduperSlotfanBallBearing ) could pull hot air away from the cards exhaust.

aaahhh52
04-10-04, 12:26 PM
the cooling system exhausts the hot air from the fan out of the 2nd pci slot, so you think that supder duper cooling thingy will help cool it down?

aaahhh52
04-10-04, 12:33 PM
actually i see what your saying now, is there any other video card solutions that would help me cool my vid card that could go in the pci slot??

kev13dd
04-10-04, 02:32 PM
Nope. That plastic makes it practically impossible. Cooler air outside the case might work. Put a open fridge in the back of the computer, it will be sicking in cooler air! Thats probably it. Lol

K

serAph
04-11-04, 03:25 PM
perhaps you should consider taking the cooling system off, then applying a more effective thermal paste to the GPU. That worked wonders for my 5900 on its stock cooling...

XanderF
04-12-04, 05:49 PM
The best place for one of those 'super duper slot cooling fans' :rolleyes: is right above your video card - if your motherboard supports it. Yeah, I know, you'd have to turn it over for the fan to suck the air away from the card (the fan intake would need to 'point' down). But, that's easy enough to do with most of those cards - the bracket that fits it into the case (and it exhausts through) is just clipped onto the plastic fan frame, it's easy to turn over.

Also, you'd need a motherboard where the AGP slot is not the top slot. Pretty rare anymore, but, IIRC, that is where the CNR riser used to go. Motherboards that had that slot would almost always put it over the AGP slot, so you'd have an extra bracket for the exhaust above your AGP card. Hot air rises, after all....