PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98SE Driver for GeForce FX Go5350

Reklov
04-10-04, 02:01 PM
Hi!

I am searching for a way to get my graphics card work under Win98. The manufacturer of my notebook has only drivers for WinXP/2000. I asked once, if they could give me the driver for 98, but they only support XP/2K. So there's no way for me to get it work...

I hope you can help me.

Reklov

saturnotaku
04-10-04, 02:07 PM
I've not heard of this particular laptop chipset. If you had an FX 5600 Go, you could download the regular Windows 9x drivers and force install them as the desktop version of the FX 5600. This is what I used to do with my GF4 440 Go - install drivers as a GF4 MX 440.

But with this chipset, you're probably SOL. And why would you want to run that arcaic OS anyway?

GlowStick
04-10-04, 02:09 PM
Hi,

I also havent herd of that chipset, but these may work, and they are worth a shot

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_56.64

give them a try and then report back?

Reklov
04-10-04, 03:31 PM
When I tried to install the Win98-Driver (56.64), the installer told me that the PCI-ID of my graphics card is not in the inf-file...the chipset is from a german discounter called ALDI/Medion...

GlowStick
04-10-04, 03:38 PM
Ok, yes i did some research into your problem and it seems that the drivers are only for windows 2000/XP,

but on the bright side since nvidias drivers are unified, i bet a inf hack will work.

gimme a few and ill see if i can figure it out.

EDIT-------------------------

Ok, i take that back, a friend told me that its not that easy to add device id's from 2000 drivers to 98 heh. sorry about that : (

Deathlike2
04-10-04, 04:25 PM
The best bet is to goto your manufacturer's website for the drivers...

I've never even heard of the model of the video card stated in your title...

It's much more difficult to obtain 98SE/ME drivers than it is to find XP/2000 drivers...

If anyone can find the specs for this hardware... please post a link...

Alternatively, you can try to force FX5200 detection for this hardware with the 98SE/ME drivers... (it seems to be the closest, in my opinion)...

GlowStick
04-10-04, 04:32 PM
Well i do know his chip is exactly a Goforce 5200 chip, the nv34 heh.

Reklov
04-10-04, 04:37 PM
Here's the .inf file from the xp/2k drivers, perhaps you can use it...

the manufacturer won't support a driver for 98, i asked already...

Deathlike2
04-10-04, 04:45 PM
The inf file only verifies it is an NV34... that's all...

You have two options..

1) Upgrade to 2k/XP... not that it's a great idea... but they are probably more notebook friendly (better power management/ACPI support)...

2) Force the installation of the latest NVidia drivers on NVidia's site to detect your hardware as a FX5200... you would need a program like Winzip to extract the contents of the setup program for the drivers... then install the hardware via the hardware detection wizard...

I'm not sure how to explain the 2nd option any better...

Reklov
04-10-04, 04:54 PM
I had XP installed, but i find more and more arguments against it...Win98 is still my favourite OS...

jAkUp
04-10-04, 04:59 PM
what arguments againts it do you have? If its the look you know you can make it look identical to 98...

Reklov
04-10-04, 05:37 PM
I know...and I did...but i don't like it, too much integrated programs and functions...i don't like it (did i mentioned yet? *g*)

I tried to modify the inf-file of the newest Win98-drivers and it worked...I just inserted two lines...(i marked them in the attachment, second is at the end, first somewhere else, don't know the lines...)

Thanks for help...

Deathlike2
04-10-04, 06:45 PM
Good to hear you got it working...

You should consider Win2K... it's only half the bloat XP is...

Reklov
04-10-04, 06:52 PM
oh no, 2k isn't my thing...

But there's a little problem with the gc driver, nview doesn't work...
and i realized that there are some other drivers which won't work with 98...
so i have to install xp again :(

Deathlike2
04-10-04, 07:00 PM
oh no, 2k isn't my thing...

Why?

It's not heavily integrated.. and it's pretty compatible with whatever XP is compatible with... unless you use a joystick or something

But there's a little problem with the gc driver, nview doesn't work...

Would you actually use nView?

Reklov
04-10-04, 07:03 PM
some time ago, i had 2k installed, but it didn't work, like i wanted it to...or somthing else...

i mean with nview the possibility to change the display to monitor or tv-out...and i need this...

Deathlike2
04-10-04, 07:07 PM
some time ago, i had 2k installed, but it didn't work, like i wanted it to...or somthing else...

Define what didn't work...

Remember that you need a different set of drivers for 2K.. than 98...

Also, for XP/2k.. you need to get the latest service packs to get them working just fine...

Reklov
04-10-04, 08:10 PM
it's quite a long time ago, but the problem wasn't the drivers...