PDA

View Full Version : Pick which monitor you want game to run on

atlas
04-12-04, 06:03 PM
Hi, I have a three monitor setup. Primary on left, secondary in middle, and tertiary at right. The first two are running off a single card. I want to tell games that they should run only on the middle (secondary) monitor. In other words, I want quake e.g., to run on this monitor and not default to the primary. I can switch the primary and secondary in display properties, but that messes up the ordering of the desktops. Is there a checkbox somewhere to enable this?

Thanks,

atlas

GlowStick
04-12-04, 06:16 PM
Pritty much the answer is no,
Pritty much the best option is to make your middle monitor primary, then 'move it around' so everything is like normal, however, when a install program makes icons it will put it there, and programs will open there by default.

atlas
04-12-04, 07:03 PM
Right, but if the left monitor is primary and each desktop extends from the first, wouldn't making the middle one primary mess up the desktop ordering. I should add this is not merely because I do not want to crane my neck 20°, but that the output to the primary has bad artifacts.

-atlas

GlowStick
04-12-04, 07:08 PM
Ok, i have to say that the primary monitor artifacting, that shouldnt happen heh, can i ask what video cards your useing?

Also, you can move the monitors around.

Its kind of hard to explane, but you can tell each monitor where they are in the physical envrioment and it maps the virtual desktop to fit.

Just click on the big blue box and drag it. Each box represents one of your monitors.

atlas
04-13-04, 12:24 AM
I am the same guy that complained about his XFX 5700u dvi showing shimmering pixels on one of the monitors. I am running both at 1600x1200 and basically I think it is because it is near the limit of the DVI spec. Monitors are 2001FP's. I know what you mean about the dragging. But it seems that when you make [2] primary, [1] [2] [3], it shifts [2] over to far left and messes up desktop ordering. Oh well, I can't remember.

GlowStick
04-13-04, 12:35 AM
Wow, are you running 3 monitors off the 5700u? That is very cool, i didnt even know it is possible?

But yes, i saw a really good article witch i cannot find on DVi. THey used some scope to test what video cards can properly display 1600x1200. To sum it up, they found that alot of nvidia cards cannot. Also some ATi based cards cannot do it also.

But here is what could.

Nvidia
Quadro Cards, and Nvidia Refrence Samples
ATi
All FireGL cards, and only Built by ATi 9700 Pros and 9800 Pros

The rest nvidia cards were a no go. Oddly enough, non Built By ATi cards were not capible eather. Its kinda funny heh?

Blacklash
04-13-04, 07:21 AM
Here is a nice long article at Extremetech that deals with DVI and video cards plus they do actual testing.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C3973%2C1370500%2C00.asp

GlowStick
04-13-04, 10:57 AM
Here is a nice long article at Extremetech that deals with DVI and video cards plus they do actual testing.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C3973%2C1370500%2C00.asp
Yes, thats the article!

Hooray!

Notice how the ATi 9800Pro passses with flying colors, but the TYan dosent!

After i saw that i did decied to only buy bbati products (if i choose ati) because i love LCD's

atlas
04-14-04, 01:07 AM
Interesting article, thanks. I've so far had pretty good luck w/DVI at 1600x1200. My problem seems to be running DUAL DVI at 1600x1200. I have tried the Asus 9520 and the XFX. The Asus wouldn't even output through the second port, while the XFX had beautiful output through the one port but degradation in the other. I don't have the money for the Quadros, and ATi lost me after the Rage Fury Maxx fiasco.
Interestingly, the XFX improved a great deal after using the latest 57.XX drivers and allowing the boot to work from both the BIOS and through Windows. Previously, I was relegated to forcing PCI as the primary boot device, followed by the AGP in windows.

atlas
04-14-04, 10:51 AM
Of course, this beast might render the issue moot!

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/feforce_6800-01.html

GlowStick
04-14-04, 05:57 PM
Of course, this beast might render the issue moot!

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/feforce_6800-01.html
hell yeah!