PDA

View Full Version : Logitech MX510 mouse and PS/2

bigrydes
04-13-04, 10:20 AM
I just purchased a Logitech MX510 gaming mouse, nice looking piece of hardware. I have plenty of USB ports on my PC, but I'm using a KVM switch to switch between two PCs and keyboard/mouse/monitor and it only has PS/2 so I will be using the PS/2 adapter. My question is, using the PS/2 adapter instead of the USB connector will I see some performance degradation?

Thanks,
Rydes

jAkUp
04-13-04, 10:25 AM
Hmmm.. well a PS2 port does have higher latency, whether or not you will notice the difference, Im not too sure..

randsom
04-13-04, 10:30 AM
where did you get mx510, ive been searching high and low and cant find one instock anywheres.

bigrydes
04-13-04, 10:50 AM
I went to a few different stores, most were either sold out or just didn't carry it, but the second Best Buy I went to had it. I really wanted the blue one and they only had one left and it was red so I took it. If you have any Best Buys in your area try the website, they have a thing that should tell you if a store near you has it in stock.

-Rydes

jAkUp
04-13-04, 10:51 AM
Yes I wanted the blue one also... all I could find is the red

randsom
04-13-04, 11:01 AM
thanx , il give that a go.

and as to youre original question, i dont think youd see much of performance difference between ps2 and usb,jakup was right though ps2 has much higher latency, so there would be some difference, but not so much that you would probably notice.

PaiN
04-18-04, 09:54 PM
I think you'll loose some button funtionality plugged into PS/2.

GlowStick
04-18-04, 10:42 PM
I dont think you will notice much of anything.

Infact, i belive with some registry hack you can actaully make your ps2 port refresh alot faster than your usb port.

I tried it, and coudlnt tell a dam diffrence, im not sure if it was fake or not heh.

But in anycase, i bet you wont notice a diffrence.

Nutty
04-19-04, 03:28 AM
I'm thinking of getting one of these too.. The logitech website said there were no retailers currently selling it.. Might buy it direct from logitech. Was quite reasonbly priced too..

randsom
04-19-04, 07:56 AM
check your local best buy,i found one there yesterday

saturnotaku
04-19-04, 08:42 AM
Infact, i belive with some registry hack you can actaully make your ps2 port refresh alot faster than your usb port.

There was a registry hack that allowed you to set your PS2 refresh rate to up to 200 times/second. But in Windows XP, being able to adjust it is a standard feature. I've never heard of a registry hack that allows you to set the PS2 refresh rate higher than that of USB.

bigrydes
04-19-04, 11:27 AM
Actually now that I have the mouse installed I noticed that Logitech's mouseware program has a setting for the ps/2 refresh rate, it's default is 100 but I set it to 200.

-Rydes

Nutty
04-19-04, 12:11 PM
We dont have a best buy in UK. AFAIK.

randsom
04-19-04, 12:14 PM
didnt see you lived in the U.K, might be awhile before you see the mx510.

took me a week to find one in Oregon

Nutty
04-19-04, 01:20 PM
I'm sure I bought my last mouse direct from logitech. I'll just do the same this time.