PDA

View Full Version : GeForce4 Ti 4400 problem with RAID motherboard

hydr0
10-10-02, 02:58 PM
I just recently purchased an MSI Geforce4 Ti4400 and when I put it in my system, it causes my RAID controller not to even be recognized by the system. So I am forced to use regular old IDE for now until I can find out why. I have the latest BIOS for my motherboard [9M by Abit] which includes a RAID BIOS update as well. With this card in the RAID Chip refuses to be seen by the PC during the boot process. Nothing I have is overclocked and I have tried removing all non essential components as well as only connected the hdds to the controller just to see. Nothing has worked so far. Worked fine with the Geforce3 Ti200 I had. Any ideas?

Thanx,

hydr0

FastM
10-10-02, 03:28 PM
Now thats a weird one. Your saying when you boot without the GF4 installed your Onboard Raid controller gets detected fine, then when you install the GF4 its like the Raid controller is not even there?

SurfMonkey
10-10-02, 03:47 PM
That is a pretty weird error... What rating is your power supply?, you are running quite alot of kit in there and maybe the GF4 is drawing just enough extra current, over the GF3, to make this happen.

hydr0
10-10-02, 04:18 PM
I'm running a 300 Watt Antec Power Supply as well as 2 CDRWs, I have 2 case fans, and a System Cooler Slot Fan. Might it be the power supply? I never thought about that before, I thought maybe it was just an incompatibility.

--- With the Geforce3 Ti200 in,during the boot process the RAID controller's BIOS runs and detects drives and such, but with the Geforce4, the RAID Controller's BIOS doesn't even show, so it doesnt load anything from the array at all. It's as if the Geforce4 covers up the RAID Controller so it can't be seen. Maybe an incompatibiliy because my board is an Abit and the Vid Card is an MSI? I really don't know what else it could be.

hydr0
10-10-02, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by FastM
Now thats a weird one. Your saying when you boot without the GF4 installed your Onboard Raid controller gets detected fine, then when you install the GF4 its like the Raid controller is not even there?

Yup that's exactly what I'm saying

saturnotaku
10-10-02, 04:21 PM
That's very weird. I have an Abit KR7A-RAID with 2 optical drives, two WD hard drives on my RAID controller in RAID-0 and 7 fans (including 2 on my power supply) running on a 500W PSU and everything's great on my machine which has a Visiontek Ti4600. I would check into the power supply first since we both have a similar setup (different mobo and PSU). Other than that, this is quite a perplexing problem. :confused:

What kind of RAID controller is on your board? Mine is a Highpoint with BIOS 2.32, provided by the latest KR7A-RAID BIOS (b5). My setup properly detects my RAID drives and my opticals and boots without a hitch.

hydr0
10-10-02, 04:28 PM
[i]What kind of RAID controller is on your board? Mine is a Highpoint with BIOS 2.32, provided by the latest KR7A-RAID BIOS (b5). My setup properly detects my RAID drives and my opticals and boots without a hitch. [/B]

I have a Highpoint HTP 370A RAID Controller latest board BIOS [9M] and RAID BIOS [2.0.1024] Thats the latest included in the latest BIOS from Abit. Are you using an unofficial BIOS for your Board? I have a 9M BIOS with the 2.32 BIOS slipped in it, but I'm afraid to try it, something might go wrong and I'd be screwed.

As long as the GF4 isnt in there I have no problems whatsoever.

saturnotaku
10-10-02, 04:35 PM
The 2.32 BIOS came with the package I downloaded from Abit. Didn't have to slip in anything on mine. :confused:

FastM
10-11-02, 10:14 AM
Well have you gotten any further?

My only suggestion would be to look in the Bios for any sort of IRQ options and such. Apart from that i really have no idea, i would probably already be on the phone with Abit though.

SurfMonkey
10-11-02, 01:13 PM
If it's not a power supply problem, which it probably isn't, then the GF4 may be occupying the memory space used by the RAID controller at boot up. I'm stabbing in the dark here though.

Try out Sudhian (http://www.sudhian.com/) the Abit FAQ is hosted there and they have a pretty sh*t hot support forum for Abit mobos.

Good luck.

edit
In fact check out this thread (http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=13318) there's alot of info about GF3\4 problems with Abit mobos.

I must say that I am running a KR7A-133R with a Ti4400 and have never encountered that particular issue.

hydr0
10-26-02, 02:06 AM
thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I flashed to an unofficial 9m bios with integrated 2.32 highpoint BIOS and it works just fine now. Really didn't wanna do that, but it worked so thats good.