PDA

View Full Version : 19" LCD or a 21" CRT?

DiscipleDOC
04-15-04, 10:12 AM
Ok, I need some input. Should I get a 19" flat panel, or should I get a 21" crt? I can get them for about the same price.

Comments?

stncttr908
04-15-04, 10:43 AM
That depends on some of the 19" LCD's specs. Does it have a good response time? What are you going to be using it for? One thing I can tell you, that 21" CRT is going to be a tank. I wouldn't be surprised if it weighed more than 70 pounds. The LCD would probably have a sharper image (if it's a good brand) and would weigh somewhere in the area of 20 pounds.

Oh yeah, the viewable area of the two will be practically the same. CRT monitors, like my 19" NEC for example, have a smaller viewable area than advertised as you probably know. When you get a 19" LCD, you're getting 19" viewable from corner to corner.

DiscipleDOC
04-15-04, 10:55 AM
That depends on some of the 19" LCD's specs. Does it have a good response time? What are you going to be using it for? One thing I can tell you, that 21" CRT is going to be a tank. I wouldn't be surprised if it weighed more than 70 pounds. The LCD would probably have a sharper image (if it's a good brand) and would weigh somewhere in the area of 20 pounds.

Oh yeah, the viewable area of the two will be practically the same. CRT monitors, like my 19" NEC for example, have a smaller viewable area than advertised as you probably know. When you get a 19" LCD, you're getting 19" viewable from corner to corner.

Mostly games, and to be used for like watching dvd's and things like that. I'm looking at some lcd prices now.

Riptide
04-15-04, 11:03 AM
You might try checking out what Dell wants for the 1903FP. If it's 16ms it can probably be had for a competitive price. Their line seems pretty popular right now.

EMunEeE
04-15-04, 12:10 PM
Only get the 19" LCD if its a Dell flat panel otherwise get the 21" CRT

FastM
04-17-04, 11:28 AM
http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=PN22NSCUU&selTab=Specifications

Okay, so it does weigh 70 pounds but dont tell me anything else has a sharper image compared to a .24mm AG.

My next monitor is definatly LCD but i cant say i regret this purchase one bit, after getting used to a 1600x1200 desktop i have no choice but to wait for a native 1600x1200 LCD with under 20ms response.

GlowStick
04-17-04, 01:43 PM
Mostly games, and to be used for like watching dvd's and things like that. I'm looking at some lcd prices now.
Heh, if you mainly play Games and Movies on your computer, id recomend a CRT.

I use LCD's because i do more web browsing and coding than gameing now, so they are better for that. But if you only hop on to game and watch movies, a CRT is unbeatable.

retsam
04-18-04, 02:25 AM
anything that has todo with motion of graphics crt all the way !!! but if your main features are limited space and looking good then i would go with lsd ... i mean lcd... oh ya lcd's cost sooo much more nowadays .......

Tuork
04-18-04, 03:05 PM
Prices, anyone?

PaiN
04-18-04, 09:32 PM
MaximumPC has a good article this month, on LCD's and gaming....I'd give it a read before you buy, most of the LCDs failed to perform well.

anyway, imo..right now, there's nothing like the IQ of a big fat 21" CRT :)

Sazar
04-18-04, 09:37 PM
prob the dell 19incher lcd... :)

nice things those...

crt's are not bad and have good res's BUT the lcd's are not bad at all...

plus you save on power and reduced cooling (crt's produce lotsa heat)

PaiN
04-18-04, 09:41 PM
The Dell 2001FP got top honors for LCD gaming....and at $900 not bad for a 20.1" flat :)