PDA

View Full Version : is it safe to wash keyboards..?

Nutty
10-10-02, 05:53 PM
I just came home to find some lovely member of my household has spilt a cup of tea all over my keyboard. Lots of sugar in it, so it's getting sticky.

I was thinking of unplugging it, and running it under the tap for a bit, and letting it dry out in the airing cupboard? Anyone tried this? Anyone think it's a bad idea? How do you go about cleaning your keyboards? Or should I just chuck it and buy a new one?

fishlung
10-10-02, 06:52 PM
If your keys are sticking when you press them, personally, I would buy a new one. I doubt it's worth the hassle of cleaning, as it's not as easy as it seems. If it's just surface stickyness to your fingers, you can just wipe it clean.

I purposely have a regular $15 keyboard, not the fancy-schmancy kind, because they're cheap to replace if they ever get messed up.

The Baron
10-10-02, 06:53 PM
Compressed air MAYBE, or just buy a new one.

thcdru2k
10-10-02, 07:35 PM
hey, since most likely you are going to need to replace it, i say run it under the tap, and let it dry for one day outside. who knows it might work, and than just return the keyboard you bought, if it doesn't work, than trash it :)

Cereal-Killer
10-10-02, 07:42 PM
I put my keyboard in the dishwasher once and it worked great, but I took it apart first. You'll mess up the num lock/caps lock/scroll lock LEDs if you don't take that little chip out first. It takes quite a while to reassemble the keyboard, but it'll be like new :)

sy5tem
10-11-02, 02:39 AM
errr take about 20 min .... open it up and was it from under...
remove all the electronic piece and put some soap plus water under presure for faster clean

hehehe i was my keyboard once a years.. i love this old ibm keyboard... :P

Nutty
10-11-02, 07:10 AM
yeah it's only a cheapo 10 quid one. I'll give it a wash, if it breaks, I'll just get a new one. cheers all.

arise
10-11-02, 12:05 PM
It is safe, yes, but only with Coke or Beer...

volt
10-11-02, 12:11 PM
That's why I dont buy expensive keyboards...
I usually buy a new one every year or so. Between that time I try to keep it as clean as possible :)

Evil17
10-12-02, 04:44 AM
Just on the idea of keyboards...
a PC key board can be cleaned,
what about laptop keyboards?
they can get a fair amount of dust on them just like the pc keyboards (if you use then enough, or if you have furry animals who love a warm "cushion" just like my friend....)

Nutty
10-12-02, 05:50 AM
well "eye" rnsed t wth luke warm water, and now my "eye" keys bust. Maybe needs more dryng tme or somat.. Looks nce and clean tho..

Nutty
10-12-02, 11:06 AM
ahh bugger it, I went out and bought a nice new logitech keyboard. much nicer, quiter, more comfortable.. God help those who spill tea on this one! :D

VeritechK7
10-13-02, 08:01 PM
the only keyboards i 'd spend MY money on are the natural kinds .. nad that's it ..otherwise it's the generic ones for the standard keyboards