PDA

View Full Version : upgrading to 1GB ram(improves frames)?

agmy00
04-16-04, 05:05 PM
Guys....
Small question pleaseeeee....
Dual channel memory on 865 gbf from intel....

i got 2x256mb pc 400 and 1x512mb pc 333
does it work?
i am putting 256 in channel a 1 and 256 in channel a 2
and 512 in channel b 1
what configuration shall i use..cz now its giving me single channel in bios :screwy:

and one more thing..does it help in gaming frame wise( i jst bought this 512 for cheap money) My pc is 2.8c and 5900 nu ;)

tangggggggggggggg youuuuuuuuu

Riptide
04-16-04, 05:07 PM
You can't do dual channel with 3 DIMMs. You need even numbered sets. That isn't the way it works...

Oh, and you would be wise to stick with identical sets and not mix. More memory should help performance a bit, depending on the game ofcourse.

agmy00
04-16-04, 05:09 PM
the 2x246 mb dont work as dualll at leasttt? :(

Riptide
04-16-04, 05:10 PM
If you have two DIMMs of the same size/speed they should work in dual channel as long as you have them in the right slots.

agmy00
04-16-04, 05:16 PM
now there is 2 ideas...
one saying if u have 2 identical it will work
and another saying that 3 dimms it wnt work

and if 2 identical and one different..ur tellin me at least the 2 identical will go on dual channel..and whats the right slots configuration mann?
:ORDER:

Nutty
04-16-04, 05:24 PM
and if 2 identical and one different..ur tellin me at least the 2 identical will go on dual channel..and whats the right slots configuration mann?

No. You will only get dual channel if you have an even number of DIMMs in total. You cant have dual channel working on half your ram, its all or nothing.

If you only put the 2 256MB DIMMs in the correct slots you will get dual channel, provided they are same make, type and speed. Adding the extra 512MB DIMM in will instantly disable dual channel.

Nv40
04-16-04, 05:31 PM
i have 1GB of DDR ram. :D
and the answer is YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are games that takes any little bits of ram you have ,usually in lans while loading levels ,im the first to be ready , it helps greatly to avoid Hard disk reading ,but also helps in games too.
more ram makes heavy loading times a thing of the past. but also helps your operating system to handle more task ,without any waiting. usually people with faster computers than me ,ask me why my machines is "so fast" ,with so many applications running in the background.. :D

i have just an ATlonXP1900+ :)

agmy00
04-16-04, 05:45 PM
thnks nuttty :D

you seem a wise guy (mag)

what if i add another 512 pc 333 will i get 1.5 gb ram working in dual channel :rolleyes:

and can u tell me about frames..will i get better fps in games like farcry? :rolleyes:

-=DVS=-
04-16-04, 05:50 PM
More ram will eliminate or reduce load on harddisk less swaping, it woun't make your CPU or GPU more powerfull , still need fast CPU and Video card to play new games !

actually going from 768 megs of ram to 2 gigs you woun't notice a difference in games .

agmy00
04-16-04, 06:07 PM
Ok guyss...I got all answers on intel's website (mag)
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-009033.htm

You dnt even need the same ddr speed...lowest speed will be taken :D

Thanks a lot guys...
seee uuuuu
am gonna do sm illegal stuff cz i need money for a 6800 ultra :kill:

ricercar
04-16-04, 08:40 PM
No. You will only get dual channel if you have an even number of DIMMs in total. You cant have dual channel working on half your ram, its all or nothing.This turns out not to be the case. nForce2 can do dual-channel DDR with three DIMMs as long as the two channels have equal capacity. For example three DIMMS work as dual-channel on an ASUS A7N8X deluxe, with two DIMMs (256M+256M) in channel1 and one DIMM (512M) in channel2.