PDA

View Full Version : Better top or bottom?

Pages : [1] 2

Snarfy
04-16-04, 09:41 PM
Bottom or top, which is of higher quality?

http://www.azuretwilight.org/gallery/albums/coolstuff/farcry_edited.jpg

P.S. -- No zoom, because you dont get 2x and 4x zoom in the game and thats :lame:

Ruined
04-16-04, 09:45 PM
This looks like Far Cry, if so its not really a fair comparison as on current drivers Nvidia cards have vis bugs, including the 6800. Lets wait for the next set of drivers before doing FarCry comparisons, as the current driverset has issues. The retail set of drivers should enable Shader Model 3.0 on 6800 chipsets, which should fix the vis bugs, increase the IQ, and allow for a more accurate comparison - right now, the 6800 is using the NV30 path and 16-bit precision in FarCry which will not be the case when the 6800 goes retail. The SM3.0 FarCry videos are quite impressive, can't wait until it is implemented in drivers so review sites and users can get big screenshots.

Snarfy
04-16-04, 09:50 PM
^_^ you didnt say which you thought looked better :lame:

jAkUp
04-16-04, 09:50 PM
Clear victory, bottom picture takes the cake.

Ruined
04-16-04, 09:51 PM
^_^ you didnt say which you thought looked better :lame:

Not really a fair comparison, I mean someone could easily go find a game that has some visual glitches on an ATI card, post a comparison with an Nvidia card that doesn't have a glitch, and then ask "which looks better?" well duh! ;) Like I said, let's wait for the next Nvidia drivers with SM3.0. Then we will see the pure cream :)

MikeC's post, on the other hand, was a fair test because both cards were rendering the scene without driver-induced glitches or visual anamolies.

Bopple
04-16-04, 09:53 PM
It's a silly comparison indeed.
But I can see his point. That SM3.0 comparison was also silly.

Ruined
04-16-04, 09:54 PM
But I can see his point. That SM3.0 comparison is also silly.

I think we'll have to wait-and-see on SM3.0. Even if SM3.0 doesn't technically do any visual effects SM2.0 can't, it doesn't mean that devs won't implement exclusive SM3.0 effects. But in the case of FarCry, its definitely going to make a big difference as the 6800 is currently running 1.1/2.0 FP16/FP32 mixed shaders instead of straight FP32 3.0 as it should due to the beta drivers.

Nv40
04-16-04, 09:55 PM
Snarfy:Bottom or top, which is of higher quality?

hehe.. thats good one.. :D
obviously the second shot is the RADeon9xx , the first shot is the Bug in farcry with Nv40 drivers..and patch 1.1 ,that runs in NV3x mode. its good that you post those screenshot because that will be the same Pixelation that will happen in FP24 vs FP32 in shader model 3.0 games that requires PS FP32 precision as minimun . there is also a tiny bit of pixelation in second shot ,that also exist in the first ,in one tile ,bit of banding ,but is not easily noticeable. that doesnt happen in other games like Doom3 because they use lower resolution textures ,so need less precision.

Snarfy
04-16-04, 09:56 PM
But I can see his point. That SM3.0 comparison was also silly.

good eye, bopp :)

Snarfy
04-16-04, 10:00 PM
Not really a fair comparison, I mean someone could easily go find a game that has some visual glitches on an ATI card, post a comparison with an Nvidia card that doesn't have a glitch, and then ask "which looks better?" well duh! ;) Like I said, let's wait for the next Nvidia drivers with SM3.0. Then we will see the pure cream :)

MikeC's post, on the other hand, was a fair test because both cards were rendering the scene without driver-induced glitches or visual anamolies.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
i'd like to take you up on that 'someone could easily go find a game that has some visual glitches on an ATI card, post a comparison with an Nvidia card that doesn't have a glitch, and then ask "which looks better?" well duh!' offer

and before the flame wars start, plz recognize that im only trying to stimulate my underused braincells :retard:

Nv40
04-16-04, 10:05 PM
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
i'd like to take you up on that 'someone could easily go find a game that has some visual glitches on an ATI card, post a comparison with an Nvidia card that doesn't have a glitch, and then ask "which looks better?" well duh!' offer

and before the flame wars start, plz recognize that im only trying to stimulate my underused braincells :retard:

so i was right? :D

Snarfy
04-16-04, 10:08 PM
so i was right? :D

top's the 6800, bottom's the 9800 xt =)

now go find some crappy ati pix to show me...if you can (mag)

saturnotaku
04-16-04, 10:11 PM
plz recognize that im only trying to stimulate my underused braincells :retard:

Well you're not doing a very good job. Go take a page from the MikeC school of image quality/screenshot comparison then come back. kthxbye

Snarfy
04-16-04, 10:12 PM
Well you're not doing a very good job. Go take a page from the MikeC school of image quality/screenshot comparison then come back. kthxbye

=/

Nv40
04-16-04, 10:13 PM
top's the 6800, bottom's the 9800 xt =)

now go find some crappy ati pix to show me...if you can (mag)

load Doom3editor . design a basic map with 1600x1600 or more quality texture.. and you will see pixelation.. in a radeonR3xx but dont have an ATI card to prove it. to show pixelation at FP32 is also possible ,but you will need to use extremely high resolutions beyond 2k . the higher quality is the textures ,or shaders the higher precision they require. :)

Snarfy
04-16-04, 10:17 PM
load Doom3editor . design a basic map with 1600x1600 or more quality texture.. and you will see pixelation.. in a radeonR3xx but dont have an ATI card to prove it. to show pixelation at FP32 is also possible ,but you will need to use extremely high resolutions beyond 2k . :)

doom3editor?

how about a game thats out now, and i dont have to do anything that certain people might consider illegal to see?

Clay
04-16-04, 10:29 PM
Going back in time just a bit but not as much as Doom3editor...fire up Dungeon Siege with any ATI card on some earlier Catalyst drivers. At any rate, the overall point is that this is not an apples-to-apples comparison you are making.

Nv40
04-16-04, 10:34 PM
doom3editor?

how about a game thats out now, and i dont have to do anything that certain people might consider illegal to see?

i mean FArcry editor.. :angel2: :D

Snarfy
04-16-04, 10:36 PM
Going back in time just a bit but not as much as Doom3editor...fire up Dungeon Siege with any ATI card on some earlier Catalyst drivers. At any rate, the overall point is that this is not an apples-to-apples comparison you are making.

its not apples to apples? sure looks like the same pic to me :)

Clay
04-16-04, 11:01 PM
its not apples to apples? sure looks like the same pic to me :) (omg) ...ugh, you are comparing a set of recogninzed buggy drivers for a particular game with a set of drivers which are not. 2 + 2 = 4 ;)

Snarfy
04-16-04, 11:12 PM
(omg) ...ugh, you are comparing a set of recogninzed buggy drivers for a particular game with a set of drivers which are not. 2 + 2 = 4 ;)

waiting for the appropriate drivers for the nv40 before comparing far cry screenies is like waiting for the x800 to be launched before we assume nvidia has won =) sure, we'll find out the truth in a bit, but has that stopped the rumor mongering?

somehow, i end up regurgitating the same responses on all 3 of the forums i'm currently trolling. i'm so :lame:

Clay
04-16-04, 11:29 PM
I disagree.

That's a reflective response ;) You're admittedly trolling? :rofl bah, nuff said :D

Snarfy
04-16-04, 11:43 PM
I disagree.

That's a reflective response ;) You're admittedly trolling? :rofl bah, nuff said :D

hee hee, man i'm tired, lolz. long day, plus some sleeping pills

i prolly look like -> :drooling:

Clay
04-17-04, 12:05 AM
Ahh, yeah same here...I'm fighting a stinkin' cold.

/me makes note that we need a sneezing smiley

DaveW
04-17-04, 10:32 AM
The top pic has horrible compression artifacts all over it.

So does the NV40 have the same crappy DXTC implementation as all the previous GeForce cards?