PDA

View Full Version : What if the x800XT is faster?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

jAkUp
04-17-04, 01:46 AM
Will you still go the NV route for the PS 3.0? I think that all of us are a little confused about the benefits that PS 3.0 has over 2.0, especially from those fudged up FarCry images.

Personally, it's a toss up for me, a part of me wants the PS3.0 features, another part of me wants the fastest card on the planet, hopefully NV delivers in both these areas so I dont have to make a decision :D

jimmyjames123
04-17-04, 02:00 AM
I think it will boil down to what games you play, what AA/AF settings you use, and what resolutions you run at. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

Face Stabber
04-17-04, 02:03 AM
Will you still post flamebait if it isn't?

Skynet
04-17-04, 02:20 AM
I don't think it matters all that much if it is faster, other than bragging rights. The NV40 is already CPU limited as it is in most situations. What will be the deciding factor for me is image quality, features, power consumption, heat and noise, assuming speeds will be comparable.

I would pick up a 6800 right now if it was for sale, I can tell you that much.

LiquidX
04-17-04, 02:34 AM
I honestly think I may go with 6800 line even if the ATI is a little faster because in will be a long term buy for me personaly.

One reasoning is the PS 3.0 support which I think more devolopers will embrace given the fact it will allow them to code a game that will non only run faster but said provide a more level of detail than 2.0. Even Crytek said it took them just 3 weeks to convert Far Cry to 3.0. Efficiency and speed is what it seems PS 3.0 will bring and there are couple big name games said to feature it that I am looking forward to (S.T.A.L.K.E.R). So even if the ATI beat it by a small margin I will still go with it for above mentioned along with opengl and driver preference.

If its a $100 cheaper thats another story. :)

Nv40
04-17-04, 02:53 AM
its all about at the games you play..
or the features you want.. but i think the general gamer cant go wrong with one or the other. both will be great cards.

however ,i will go with the Geforce6800 , even if the R420 is 100% faster and cost $100 less . if the R420 is alot more faster ,in anyway will mean that a card that is (2x-3x faster than the R360) is a slow card,dont you think? but only that is more faster.

SM3.0 is really important to me.. so i will like to learn to program shaders in a hardware with no limits in DX9 .... hehe :) i want to get those new demos of Nvidia and those new demos of ATI too and even those of PowerVR.. the Nv40 will run everything you throw of DX9 at it.. :) those DX9 demos kick ass!! dont know why they dont release short games with that . but also for the full FP32 presicion and the programable video chip. Doom3,Stalker an quake4 best hardware will have my money ,no matter the price. but also looking forward for Unreal3.. dont upgrade frequently so the NV40 will be able last me until the NV50/R500 and will run those leaked betas of incoming SM3.0 games.:angel2: :D

however if the R420 is much faster in Doom3 than the Nv40 and have support for SM3.0 /Fp32 ,its a diferent story. the Future proof of a card is top prority for me. drivers and stability in Opengl aplications too. i suppose that is summary im a technology fan. :)

OldOfEvil
04-17-04, 03:20 AM
If the x800XT is faster thant the 6800Ultra, which I think it will be but not by a huge margin, then so what? Its going to be a while before we even see it and by that time, the NV45 should be soon to come out.

batterbrain101
04-17-04, 04:04 AM
If the ATI is faster then its faster, oh well. BTW, the X800 is supposed to be out the 26th, so I don't think the NV45 will be ready ;) I'll still stick with nvidia, like their overall package better personally.

monkeydust
04-17-04, 04:19 AM
All indications point to the X800XT having PS3.0 features, but probably not all of them. Currently, some games take advantage of PS2.0 features, but they don't use every one of them.

So, it comes down to... Are the PS3.0 features that the X800XT have the ones that are really going to be used?

Nv40
04-17-04, 04:45 AM
All indications point to the X800XT having PS3.0 features, but probably not all of them. Currently, some games take advantage of PS2.0 features, but they don't use every one of them.

So, it comes down to... Are the PS3.0 features that the X800XT have the ones that are really going to be used?

thats new to me.. all rumors around internet says otherwise..
but it will be nice if they are true..more support ,is always better.but it cant be partially. there is no between as far as i know. Sm3.0 needs FP32 precision as minimun. there is no _pp there.. hehe.. but either way partial support is better than none.. :)

5150 Joker
04-17-04, 06:06 AM
Will you still go the NV route for the PS 3.0? I think that all of us are a little confused about the benefits that PS 3.0 has over 2.0, especially from those fudged up FarCry images.

Personally, it's a toss up for me, a part of me wants the PS3.0 features, another part of me wants the fastest card on the planet, hopefully NV delivers in both these areas so I dont have to make a decision :D

If they are within 5% of each other (R420 being faster) I'll buy the NV40 for these reasons:

1. I miss DV and don't see ATi offering anything like it in the foreseeable future.

2. NV drivers are probably still a bit better.

3. Faster OpenGL on NV.

4. I want something different after having ATi for a yr.

However, I will go ATi under these circumstances:

1. Its at least 10-15% faster in most situations than 6800u.

2. Improved IQ over R360.

3. Uses a single molex.

4. Is available in a timely manner - meaning it has to be at least within a month of NV40 release. If its not then I'll forego all the above and just get the NV40 cuz i'm impatient.

PS 3.0 is nice but not really important to me right now.

Quitch
04-17-04, 06:14 AM
From my reading it's VS 3.0 and not PS 3.0 that will bring the really cool new features to the table, and rumour has it that the new Radeons may well support VS 3.0. Guess we won't know till it's out.

All indications are it'll be single molex and the clocks will be higher... but how much higher? Contrary to the CPU limited belief, there's as much indication that bandwidth limitations are the problem, so the memory speeds used might make all the difference...

PenguinJim
04-17-04, 07:26 AM
If its a $100 cheaper thats another story. :)
(Referring to the x800XT)
You know, that's a very real possibility :). ATi could match nVidia on performance/features, and beat them on price.

Anyone remember when $250 was the price of an expensive graphics card? nVidia seem to be forgetting...

saturnotaku
04-17-04, 07:50 AM
Isn't the X800 XT going to be PCI-E only? That alone would preclude me from buying that card over the 6800. Personally I'm going to wait for the refreshres of both products before making a decision. By that time I should have a job as well as some money saved up to re-do my entire system. I'll have an Athlon 64 so the CPU wouldn't be as much of a bottleneck to a top-end graphics card. ;)

MUYA
04-17-04, 07:53 AM
dude, did ya read what Mike wrote his athlon64 3400+ is not enough for the 6800 ultra? It seems certain games seem to be cpu bound when previously it wasn't!

saturnotaku
04-17-04, 08:11 AM
But by the time I'm ready to buy, Socket 939 will be available. Plus it will be far less of a bottleneck than the Barton I'm currently running.

muzz
04-17-04, 09:20 AM
Isn't the X800 XT going to be PCI-E only? That alone would preclude me from buying that card over the 6800. Personally I'm going to wait for the refreshres of both products before making a decision. By that time I should have a job as well as some money saved up to re-do my entire system. I'll have an Athlon 64 so the CPU wouldn't be as much of a bottleneck to a top-end graphics card. ;)

Nope the X800 series is agp.
The X880 is the Pci-e part.

Ruined
04-17-04, 09:31 AM

Well jakup, I'm going NV40 (eventually). Why? NV40 delivers killer performance (more than fast enough), has SM3.0 support, stable drivers, and a video processing chipset that has hardware acceleration of mpeg1/2/4, divx, and wmv9 encoding/decoding. Would you want a card thats a bit faster but loses some of that functionality? I think its also realisitic to guess that some of the TWIMTBP developers will implement exclusive SM3.0 effects that will not run on SM2.0 cards, so the R420 may lose in the IQ department if it does not implement FP32/SM3.0. Hopefully ATI will deliver a card that has similar features, otherwise in my mind they aren't really competitive.

Bopple
04-17-04, 09:31 AM
I think I'll take x800xt, if it is faster by 30% or more.

muzz
04-17-04, 09:52 AM
Only if it's 30% faster?

30% at those numbers would be an extremely incredible feat.

solobird
04-17-04, 10:07 AM
Well jakup, I'm going NV40 (eventually). Why? NV40 delivers killer performance (more than fast enough), has SM3.0 support, stable drivers, and a video processing chipset that has hardware acceleration of mpeg1/2/4, divx, and wmv9 encoding/decoding. Would you want a card thats a bit faster but loses some of that functionality? I think its also realisitic to guess that some of the TWIMTBP developers will implement exclusive SM3.0 effects that will not run on SM2.0 cards, so the R420 may lose in the IQ department if it does not implement FP32/SM3.0. Hopefully ATI will deliver a card that has similar features, otherwise in my mind they aren't really competitive.

Totally agree with you. As this generation the performance of 6800U is fairly enough! But the functionality is really what I am pursuing for!

TheTaz
04-17-04, 10:12 AM
Don't care about PS 3.0, just like I didn't care aboout PS 1.4 when I had my Geforce 3.

If the XT800 is a little faster or visa versa...

The simple answer is ... I'll go for price.

/shrug

lIqUID
04-17-04, 10:43 AM
I think I'll take x800xt, if it is faster by 30% or more.

Impossible, havent you been reading that many games are becoming CPU bound? Im going nV40 and not even giving the ATI card a look, my barely overclocked 2800+ Barton would be a bottleneck for either of these cards anyways.

muzz
04-17-04, 10:57 AM
Impossible, havent you been reading that many games are becoming CPU bound? Im going nV40 and not even giving the ATI card a look, my barely overclocked 2800+ Barton would be a bottleneck for either of these cards anyways.
They've been talking about cpu bound for awhile now.....
Yet there always seems to be an increase in SOME of these titles....

GL with your 6800U

Bopple
04-17-04, 11:20 AM
NV40 has almost maxxed its power up to the theoretical maximum.

But still, in HDR demo and FarCry, its performance was a bit subpar compared to its overall performance.

If NV40 runs at 60fps and R420 at 65~70fps, I don't think that difference delta is good enough for the lack of PS3.0. But if R420 is around at 75~80fps, then it is worthwhile to take, imo.

x800xt is rumored to be around 600, then I take it around 525~550.(seeing that x800 seems to be having 475, while it was rumored to be 500). That's 31~38% faster clock speed, compared to NV40 400MHz. Therefore, I don't see why it's impossible for x800xt to be faster by 30%, if they don't make any serious mistake.