PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 w/nv40?

Pages : [1] 2

mexell
04-17-04, 02:57 AM
anyone hear or know how doom 3 will play on a nv40?

jAkUp
04-17-04, 02:59 AM
Well, I havent heard anything, but it will probably be the card to own for it :) Considering NV's rep for steller OpenGL performance.

jimmyjames123
04-17-04, 03:01 AM
Not only that, but apparently the Ultrashadow II technology really helps speed up the game.

jAkUp
04-17-04, 03:02 AM
I wonder if it will run in mixed mode for the 6800?? It shouldnt...

jimmyjames123
04-17-04, 03:07 AM
Apparently the 6800 series can run very fast with full precision. So yeah, maybe it will not be very beneficial for 6800 owners to use the NV3x path.

Skynet
04-17-04, 03:16 AM
Now all that has to happen is for the game to be released. Damn this game seems like it is taking years to come out. :angel2:

Nv40
04-17-04, 03:32 AM
i think Nvidia is waiting for ATI to launch the R420 and bang!
show the Doom3 benchmarks... hehe
it doesn have sense to do it againts the RAdeon9800xt..
the NV3x cards already demostrated to do very well againts R3xx hardware there ,in early benchmarks and sometimes by a large diference. wait for the release of the R420.. Doom3 benchmarks will be around that time.

LiquidX
04-17-04, 03:42 AM
show the Doom3 benchmarks... hehe.....

Cruel...very cruel. But it would be a almost deserving pay back over what happend last September and a "bang, bam, boom, POW!" if anything DoomIII was to be released with it (which I doubt).

ChrisRay
04-17-04, 04:07 AM
Well I think the Nv30/MV35 are gonna run this game great, Same with the r300 derivitives as well

OldOfEvil
04-17-04, 04:15 AM
The Doom 3 Alpha ran respectable ( at low res ) on my 8500LE..

I think we'll be very happy when the games comes out, irregardless if we have ATi or nVidia card.

Nv40
04-17-04, 05:00 AM
Cruel...very cruel. But it would be a almost deserving pay back over what happend last September and a "bang, bam, boom, POW!" if anything DoomIII was to be released with it (which I doubt).

well thats the way Business works.. :)
NVidia and ATI will do anything they can ,to sell more video cards ,so they will release benchmarks with the games that their hardware perform better and most people want. so expect to see HL2 benchmarks by the release of the R420 . but in my opinion it will be the same as releasing quake3 benchmarks today.. to see which one get 200fps first ,because both cards will be more than enough to play that game without limitations at maximun resolutions and AA/AF settings. FArcry and Doom3 is a diferent story ,they need more power of your video card and of your cpu . i think the real battle will be in the $100-$300 range of videocards.. the highends will do fine in most games.

Rollo
04-17-04, 10:19 AM
I wonder if it will run in mixed mode for the 6800?? It shouldnt...

AFAIK Jakup, Doom 3 is an OpenGL game and there's no such thing as "mixed mode" for OpenGL.

Carmack coded a lot of Doom 3 on a 5800Ultra because of it's longer instruction sets.

Can't comment on Doom 3 performance, the only benchmarks available are very old and show a 5800 smacking down 9800s, which I doubt will happen in the final game.

Rollo
04-17-04, 10:22 AM

If Doom 3 is in the box, I think you can count on even more 6800s being sold than will be already. I can't think of anything that would make me throw caution to the wind and not wait for ATI benches except that.

Give me Doom3 - NOW! :)

StealthHawk
04-18-04, 02:26 AM
Not only that, but apparently the Ultrashadow II technology really helps speed up the game.

In other words, NV40's awesome Zixel rate ;)

AFAIK Jakup, Doom 3 is an OpenGL game and there's no such thing as "mixed mode" for OpenGL.

NV30 path vs ARB2 path. NV30 path uses mixed precision, FX12, FP16, and FP32, whereas ARB2 path uses just FP32. I am unsure whether things like UltraShadow are only available with the NV30 path or whether they will also be used in the ARB2 path if the hardware has support for such things.

Carmack coded a lot of Doom 3 on a 5800Ultra because of it's longer instruction sets.

I don't believe this is true. Carmack has said that he ran into the limitations of R200's instruction count, but not for his work on Doom3.

muzz
04-18-04, 02:31 AM
show the Doom3 benchmarks... hehe
it doesn have sense to do it againts the RAdeon9800xt..
the NV3x cards already demostrated to do very well againts R3xx hardware there ,in early benchmarks and sometimes by a large diference. wait for the release of the R420.. Doom3 benchmarks will be around that time.

Are you referring to the specially coded for NV beta version of D3?

Sure sounds like you are..............

ChrisW
04-18-04, 02:53 AM
Actually, Carmack said he used the NV30 because it allowed him to test more pathways (NV1x, NV2x, NV3x, ARB, ARB2) verses the Radeon 9700 (R8500, ARB, ARB2). Basically, it allowed him to test all the pathways except the special pathway for the Radeon 8500, so it made perfect sense to use the card for development. Of course, this is all because he chose to create seperate pathways for the entire GeForce line.

muzz
04-18-04, 02:57 AM
Actually, Carmack said he used the NV30 because it allowed him to test more pathways (NV1x, NV2x, NV3x, ARB, ARB2) verses the Radeon 9700 (R8500, ARB, ARB2). Basically, it allowed him to test all the pathways except the special pathway for the Radeon 8500, so it made perfect sense to use the card for development.

You are referring to special coding pathways...

Which are SERIOUS BS........
DX wasn't developed to have one crew add a TON of work on a game for the sake of a dopey IHV........
Why should anyone that doesn't own a card that doesn't follow spec have to pay for all that EXTRA development?
ot only that, but it ADDS time to do so.........
As if these game developers aren't going slow enough....

That really pisses me off.....

Edit:
BTW Except for 1 card? One card?
He codes three PROPRIETARY paths for NV, but the 8500 gets nada?

Sounds like SERIOUS BS to me.

Diamond_G
04-18-04, 02:58 AM
Doom3 uses open GL not DX... so DX compatibility is a moot point

ChrisW
04-18-04, 03:00 AM
Well, it's the developer's decision. He decided to create special pathways to help improve performance for as many cards as possible. I would probably do the same as I would want as many people to play my games as possible.

muzz
04-18-04, 03:03 AM
Yeah I love waiting for a game because some clownface couldn't follow a spec..
:angel2:

Diamond_G
04-18-04, 03:10 AM
Yeah I love waiting for a game because some clownface couldn't follow a spec..
:angel2:
muzz I am curious as to which instruction set are you referring to?? Carmack doesn't care too much for the DX instruction set, so he opts for OGL...

I like that he chose OGL cause that means my linux boxes can play games that he comes out with as well... until MS allows cross platform compatibility I will always lean towards OGL more than DX....

But that could just be me...

StealthHawk
04-18-04, 03:12 AM
Doom3 uses open GL not DX... so DX compatibility is a moot point

For rendering maybe ;)

P.S. Yeah, I know Muzz was talking about rendering, and his point definitely falls short there.

Diamond_G
04-18-04, 03:17 AM
For rendering maybe ;)

P.S. Yeah, I know Muzz was talking about rendering, and his point definitely falls short there.
sometimes i guess ppl get confused... MS has played a number on this generation of gamers.... DX isn't the end all be all to rendering methods...

i hope that this doesn't ignite a flamewar of any sort....

XanderF
04-18-04, 03:25 AM
You are referring to special coding pathways...
DX wasn't developed to have one crew add a TON of work on a game for the sake of a dopey IHV........
Why should anyone that doesn't own a card that doesn't follow spec have to pay for all that EXTRA development?
ot only that, but it ADDS time to do so.........
As if these game developers aren't going slow enough....

First off, as has been noted, Doom3 is OpenGL, not DirectX.

And secondly....well, you're obviously not an engineer. Have you even SEEN the OpenGL extensions? EVERY FREAKING VENDOR HAS THEIR OWN!!!

Coding in OpenGL is a pain in the ass, I dunno why anybody would do it. Indeed, more power to whoever can, I could never figure it out.

DirectX IS much simpler - as you noted, it's essentially 1 standard. You adhere to it, you're golden. One function should do the same thing on all graphics cards. OpenGL is nothing like that at all! You HAVE to code seperate paths for each IHV - Kyro, nVidia, ATI, Matrox, 3dfx (back in the day), etc. Intel's integrated, too, actually. S3 needs their own, etc.

I guess the biggest flaws of DirectX is that it IS platform-dependant. You can't port DX games to Macs, or Linux, or anything else. OTOH, nowadays, you CAN port DX games to XBOX with a modest amount of effort, so it gains a little usefulness that way.

But it sure is easier to code for!

goofjb
04-18-04, 03:27 AM
For the linux guys OpenGL is the way to go. Not to mention the fact a lot of it is developed by people who simply love gaming. DX is the microsoft baby that no one can touch or improve on. So I am also happy OpenGL was chosen for Doom 3. Just ignore the fact that I am running XP Pro. :)