PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life2 delayed until "05"...per Gabe

Pages : [1] 2

PaiN
04-19-04, 07:33 AM
Gabe Newell's quote:
"We've already spent millions into this project, and we're willing to spend as much as we need to make this the best first person experience ever. If that means delaying the game to 2005, we'll do it without any hesitation. If it means sinking another $20 million into the project, we can do it. Rest assured, if we delay the game, it'll be only to blow your socks off even more when it finally releases."
http://www.vgpro.com/news/4590
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/507/507395p1.html?fromint=1

Gator
04-19-04, 07:49 AM
they are truely ridiculous, just release the game already, and if you need to patch the game later then so be it. UT2k3 certainly had enough patches. And God bless Epic/Atari for releasing games in a timely fashion, ie: UT2k4, now if only Valve would get the message.

And man, if I was an exec at ATI I would be so pissed off at Valve right now, they offered all those free HL2 coupons with their video cards. But with HL2's continued delays, the R9800 and R9600XT wont be top notch for it anymore at release. ATI should sue these nuts
:lame:

silence
04-19-04, 08:19 AM
if HL2 showed when it was supposed....i guess it would be mind blowing.
Far Cry raised the bar of my expectation really high and i think that STALKER and Doom3 will raise it even more.

if it really comes in 2005... it wont be anything special. :lame:

S.I.N
04-19-04, 08:28 AM
Proof the damn game was not done and it being swiped provided perfect cover. I just hate the fact there were probaly alot who payed $500 for there 9800XT thinking it would be the best think to play this game in a weeks at the latest a few months not a year later and they should atleast provide if anybody those you bought a 9800XT a demo.
:lame:

EMunEeE
04-19-04, 08:34 AM
:lame: :lame: :lame:

de><ta
04-19-04, 08:42 AM

:lol2:

monkeydust
04-19-04, 08:42 AM
He did not say the game is delayed until 2005. He was speaking hypothetically that he would delay it until then if he thought the game needed it to be great.

Gator
04-19-04, 08:45 AM
He did not say the game is delayed until 2005. He was speaking hypothetically that he would delay it until then if he thought the game needed it to be great.

that's not any better... a delay to 2005 should be considered completely unacceptable. And I really do feel for those folks that bought an R9600 or R9800 thinking they'd be best suited for HL2, that's just not fair

Smokey
04-19-04, 09:07 AM
Maybe it will be delayed until 2005, if the X800XT isnt as fast as the 6800U in HL2 :p

Gator
04-19-04, 09:23 AM
Maybe it will be delayed until 2005, if the X800XT isnt as fast as the 6800U in HL2 :p

ah! I see where you're going with this :lol2:

That would be interesting if it was all a scandal and ATI pushed it back if the GF6 outperforms them. I wanna beleive ATI would be angry about a delay, but who knows they may be behind it :screwy:

and oh yeah... mandatory :lame: :lame: :lame:

saturnotaku
04-19-04, 09:46 AM
I'm also thinking Far Cry caught Valve with their proverbial pants down. Valve figured FC was going to be good, but not receive the absolute rave reviews it's been getting from publications and the community alike. Valve could very well want the memory of Far Cry (or even Painkiller and Doom 3) to wear off before releasing HL2.

But by then it will probably be too little too late. Well, it's already too late. ;)

PaiN
04-19-04, 10:01 AM
This crap just hurts the gamer.....HL2 will be nothing next year but an "already been there" game. Games like the above mentioned STALKER, D3 and FarCry are and will set bar this spring.
imo....rather than having "the best first person experience ever." (per Gabe) I just want a damn kick-ass, techno-advanced FPS I can play now or soon.

saturnotaku
04-19-04, 10:31 AM
The May issue of Maximum PC has HL2's release date as November. So a delay to 2005 wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, provided this information is accurate.

SuLinUX
04-19-04, 10:39 AM
What was it some people said, ahhh, they delayed HL2 because of GeForceFX optimizations and it's nvidia's fault. Gabe Newell is a arsehole pure and simple. :lame: :lame:

Mullins1060
04-19-04, 11:23 AM
lol oh well, tbh i dont think hl2 is gonna be that special. its gonna be just another fps. farcry looks as good as the footage of hl2 thats been released, so maybe the possible delay will just be to try and out do all the games out atm. but by the time they do that other games will be out that look better than farcry and it will get delayed again lol its a huge vicious circle, i say release it.

|JuiceZ|
04-19-04, 11:42 AM
*sigh* Some of these devs are truely :lame: I mean think about it logically, if you keep delaying a game, naturally better games will be released in the meantime. If they keep delaying it w/ the intention of making it better than the latest hot title, it'll never be finished...:rolleyes2

:banghead:

stncttr908
04-19-04, 11:48 AM
Hush children.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20716

monkeydust
04-19-04, 12:02 PM
Aw come on! You guys are going to buy the game when it comes out and you are going to like it! :D

LycosV
04-19-04, 12:08 PM
*sigh* Some of these devs are truely :lame: I mean think about it logically, if you keep delaying a game, naturally better games will be released in the meantime. If they keep delaying it w/ the intention of making it better than the latest hot title, it'll never be finished...:rolleyes2

:banghead:

Can you say Duke Nukem Forever, how about Team Fortress 2?
In my opinion Half Life 2 was nowhere near finished and this just carrys on the Valve tradition of talking up a game, then not realeasing it for a very long time.
I think HL2 will be just another FPS, plain and simple.

LycosV

LiquidX
04-19-04, 12:32 PM
Aw come on! You guys are going to buy the game when it comes out and you are going to like it! :D

Most likely most of us complaining will because we loves games but its really sucks that it was ready when they did the demo/benchmarks for ATI and all that damn publicity and now still nothing to show for it. I would have much preferd they kept it under wraps and not talk about it as much instead of releasing so much info as if we would be seeing it shortly.

Also I think there really holding it back because of DOOMIII and what they might have seen in Far Cry. I bet if Doom was annouced to ship in june HL2 would ship in July. Another :lame: to add to the rest.

zoomy942
04-19-04, 12:55 PM
so we can put HL2 in the same boat as the game duke nukem "never".

Nephilim
04-19-04, 02:49 PM
so we can put HL2 in the same boat as the game duke nukem "never".

I already have. Someone just needs to go a slap the Valve team around a lot.
:retard:

Dazz
04-19-04, 04:12 PM
[Post censored] A little hint at whats going on in my mind.

zoomy942
04-19-04, 04:14 PM
i guess our last hope for a true revisit of legacy games is doom 3

walkndude
04-19-04, 04:23 PM
What ever happened to blaming the delay on the leak, that satement alone shows it to be an absolute lie...

I also want to say that he didn't state it was going to be delayed till 2005, just that if thats what it takes for them to be happy with the final product they're willing to spend as much time and money as necessary. The statement was made to reiterate their commitment, not to give a timeline for release(for those that dont realize how out of context this threads title was taken :)).

Either way Gabe looks like a fool.