PDA

View Full Version : sound card

Thing
04-20-04, 04:36 AM
hello

pentium iv 17000mhz
512 megabytes random access memory
microsoft windows 98

last time i played anarchy online i used a "creative sound blaster live value" which is nothing special, i didn't have any problems...

now i changed to my audio-on-board which is "advance ac'97 audio for intel audio controller" and my sound is very bad in some games, just the new ones like condition zero and anarchy online i can't hear the music it starts and stop and jumps... (there must be a name for this problem but i don't know)

i find this strange since the creative audio card was a bit old and didn't have problems, now with the on-board i have.

what do you think?

i will post some replays from people in the forums of a very good game (anarchy online !!!)

Regulas: I'm not sure what's causing this but I can confirm this problem. My computer came with the onboard AC'97 audio codec chip and sound seemed to 'skip' or 'stutter' in games. Is this the problem you are having too?

I was unable to ever find a solution and finally bought an Audigy 2.

Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on this.

ghump: Without being too technical... It's a matter of recources. Usually the onboard AC97 soundchip has to share some recources with the other onboard stuff like HD-controller, network adapter, memory interface etc. etc. So the harder You run your pc, the more stuttering You will get.

The Audigy 2 will get You:
- No stuttering
- Much improved sound clarity (You will need some proper speakers to hear it of course )
- Better sound effects (for the good games, sound is as important as graphics)
- Higher framerates in most of your games.

I saw a test where they compared the Soundblaster Live to the Audigy 2. On a 2 GHz pc with all soundchannels in use the cpu-utilisation on the Live was 34%. With the Audigy 2 it was less than 4%. That should translate into higher framerates and smoother gaming in most of your games

thanks

Gator
04-20-04, 06:58 AM
Well first of all the PCI sound card is more capable than your integrated AC97. But second, the AC97 uses some (not a lot) of CPU resources to function. This may have affected your gaming performance because you have P4 1.7ghz which is showing it's age. I'd say purchasing a PCI sound card was a good idea for you.

PaiN
04-20-04, 07:24 AM
Thing is compairing the Audigy line to the AC97....these to are not even in the same league. The Audigy has a dedicated DSP sound processing engine which off loads massive amounts of work(in games) from the CPU. The Audigys bring to the table Avanced HD and EAX sound capablities.
Thing..get and Audigy2 you'll thank yourself a 1000 times over :cool2:

Thing
04-20-04, 07:42 AM
no!

please read, im comparing "creative sound blaster live value" to the ac97...

Gator
04-20-04, 08:21 AM
no!

please read, im comparing "creative sound blaster live value" to the ac97...

In general the SBLive Value is a real piece of junk. It's sucks up PCI bandwidth, and overall doesn't sound that great. It also had some scratchy sound issues with WinXP which some people never got resolved (myself). But in comparison to your AC97 audio, it depends on the chipset. Nforce2 Soundstorm & oboard CMI audio are much better than SBLive Value PCI. But Realtek AC97 is kind of a toss up.

Since you're having trouble with the AC97, and since SBLive stinks... buy a Hercules Fortismo III or Audigy2

I hope that's what you were asking.

Rampant CL
04-20-04, 12:56 PM
If you have an sb live and an ac 97, use the sb live if you can. If you really need to use the ac 97, stop, and read what i just wrote. ac 97 quality is acceptable, not good, not amazing, not stupendous. I use that and an sblive at the same time, but only becuase i need a lot of i/o ports.

Dazz
04-20-04, 02:48 PM
He has a P4 423 aka P4 1.7GHz which don't use hardware as such is software AC97 chipset as such you will indeed see huge peformance increase.

It was the same when i had my ASUS A7M266 Cmedia software AC97 and upgraded to an Auidgy my frame rates shot RIGHT up 50% in some cases.

Thing
04-20-04, 04:30 PM
okay, done... i use the sound blaster live value card again, thanks.

UDawg
04-20-04, 04:54 PM
Audigy2 ZS Pwns joo!

Tuork
04-20-04, 11:22 PM
Thing is compairing the Audigy line to the AC97....these to are not even in the same league. The Audigy has a dedicated DSP sound processing engine which off loads massive amounts of work(in games) from the CPU. The Audigys bring to the table Avanced HD and EAX sound capablities.
Thing..get and Audigy2 you'll thank yourself a 1000 times over :cool2:

W00t... been thinking of getting one of these suckers for some time. Gald to know it will help my gaming.

goofjb
04-21-04, 02:08 AM
I was going to say change drivers. I have an nforce2 mobo using realtek Ac'97 and with the nvidia drivers the sound was pretty bad. Shutters, pops and just bad sound in general. Then i switched to realtek drives and now the sound is really pretty good for an on-board solution.

sytaylor
04-21-04, 02:20 AM
Audigy2 ZS Pwns joo!

I was gonna make this post but the Dawg beat me to it :ORDER: