PDA

View Full Version : nForce Audio Question

vegas_jay
04-20-04, 12:41 PM
Hopefully somebody can give me a clue to figure out the problem I am having. I just built a new system, the motherboard is a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. One of the reasons I picked this motherboard is because I thought it would have good built in audio, but I am having a problem with the front channel audio.

If I plug my speakers into the connector for the rear channel, I can hear the rear channel. But pluging them into the front channel gives me no sound.

I have tried the latest audio driver that was on Asus web page and also the latest one that was on Nvidia's web page. I suspect that perhaps the front audio connector is simply broken, but I wanted to ask if there is anything I might be doing wrong.

I have also tried pluging the speakers into the other audio connectors, just in case I was somehow misunderstanding what connector is for the front speakers, but that didn't fix it.

jnd3
04-20-04, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the board!

What kind of speakers do you have?

Did you use the audio driver included with the 3.13 UDP, or the beta 4.31, or both? (Personal recommendation: stick with Nvidia's drivers over Asus's.)

Did you try the speaker setup wizard with the speakers plugged into the front (lime green) channel? What kind of results did you get?

Have you been over to http://www.nforcershq.com yet? There's a great nForce forum over there.

Cheers,
JND

vegas_jay
04-20-04, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the board!

What kind of speakers do you have?

Did you use the audio driver included with the 3.13 UDP, or the beta 4.31, or both? (Personal recommendation: stick with Nvidia's drivers over Asus's.)

Did you try the speaker setup wizard with the speakers plugged into the front (lime green) channel? What kind of results did you get?

Have you been over to http://www.nforcershq.com yet? There's a great nForce forum over there.

Cheers,
JND

Thanks for the nice welcome. :) The speakers that I have are older ones that I already had from my other computer. They are Altec Lansing ACS48. They are a 2.1 speaker system. The line out from the sound card goes into the subwoofer and it then connects to the 2 other speakers.

I am not 100% sure what version of drivers I downloaded from Asus site (I am at work at the moment and when I look that there web page I am not recognizing the file name).

From Nvidia, I installed the Version 3.13 Unified Driver (dated Nov 3, 2003) and also I tried the Version 4.31 Audio Driver (dated March 31, 2004).

I used the Speaker Wizard program, with my speakers plugged into the lime green jack and I told it I had a 2 speaker, analog set up. I heard no sound. I also tried telling it I had a 4 speaker set up and I then plugged my speakers into the rear channel plug (I think it was purple?) I could hear it say "Rear Left... Rear Right" while it did that audio test.

Thank you for showing me that web page, I will look on there and see if anybody had a simial problem. :)

jnd3
04-20-04, 03:15 PM
Hm. I had a pair of ACS33 (2.1) that worked with my setup ... 3.13 UDP and 4.31 audio. Do you have a pair of headphones to try in that jack? It does sound a little bit like a connector problem. Good luck!

Cheers,
JND

vegas_jay
04-20-04, 03:50 PM
Hm. I had a pair of ACS33 (2.1) that worked with my setup ... 3.13 UDP and 4.31 audio. Do you have a pair of headphones to try in that jack? It does sound a little bit like a connector problem. Good luck!

Cheers,
JND

After researching that site you recommened, I think I know what the problem is! My case has 2 connectors for audio on the front (microphone and earphones). Somebody mentioned that if you hook up the earphones on the front, no sound will go to the front channel out on the back panel. Since I did hook that up, it is possible that is my probelm and it will be an easy fix.

Thanks again for pointing out that web page for me! :)