PDA

View Full Version : 8x card on 4x (performance and overclocking query)

sreaver
04-21-04, 09:19 AM
Hi there
im usin this card
prolink geforce fx 5200 128 bit 128 MB(250/500)
i wanted to knw that there was an option of auto overclocking in the driver 56.64 win 9x but that is not comin in the 56.72 driver in win xp.
PS: is it ok to enable this option or will it affect the card in any way

Also i used riva tuner and overclocked the card to the maximum it specified the card to be overclocked i tested the new setting and the screen got white with spots and i restrtd th pc and it was workin fine again...
well i wanted to knw is there still a problem or not and how can i check it...
PS: i am getting this score in 3d mark 5131 in AGP 4x mode (my mobo has a 4x slot)

well if i upgrade my mobo to an 8x slot then will there be an increase in the performance and if so then how much..(i think my card is running at half the speed coz the card is 8x)
Thanks
Reply early..

saturnotaku
04-21-04, 09:59 AM
Also i used riva tuner and overclocked the card to the maximum it specified the card to be overclocked i tested the new setting and the screen got white with spots and i restrtd th pc and it was workin fine again...[/b]

That's because the card probably reverted back to its default speeds since you were trying to test at a setting your card was in no way capable of handling. Overclocking is a delicate art, and you can't just go in with guns a blazin' by setting the tweaker to the absolute maximum settings.

Use the autodetect in Windows XP to give you a baseline of where to start and adjust the clock speeds from there. Test by running 3DMark 2001 or 03. If the benchmark hardlocks your system, the core speed is too high. If you see artifacts, the memory is too high. Drop either by 5 MHz and try again to find the happy medium.

well i wanted to knw is there still a problem or not and how can i check it...
PS: i am getting this score in 3d mark 5131 in AGP 4x mode (my mobo has a 4x slot)

well if i upgrade my mobo to an 8x slot then will there be an increase in the performance and if so then how much..(i think my card is running at half the speed coz the card is 8x)

AGP rating makes next to no difference in terms of performance. Maybe 5% at the absolute maximum.

anzak
04-21-04, 11:57 AM
Test by running 3DMark 2001 or 03. If the benchmark hardlocks your system, the core speed is too high

From what I have found the ATI screensaver Bacteria http://ati.com/developer/demos/r9700.html is the best way to test a video cards stability. At 580mhz on my Radeon 9600XT I can run 3dmark03 and all of my games but the Bacteria screensaver locks up after a few minutes.

BigE4u
04-26-04, 12:43 AM
The fx5200 is know to be a crappy card, performance wise no matter how high of an OC you can get. As for thinking you might be better off with a newer motherboard, don't bother... theres hardly any difference if any between 4x and 8x to warrant such a move. Save your money and get a REAL video card, you will be much happier you did.

theultimo
04-26-04, 12:45 AM
4x is STILL not being stressed...yet.

superklye
07-27-04, 08:43 PM
I just installed CoolBits2 and saw that it had a slider allowing to change AGP modes (PCI, 1x, 2x and 4x) and my card is in PCI mode. I have a GF4 Ti4400 and it has ALWAYS ran in PCI mode no matter what I do in the BIOS or anything. AGP 8x is enabled, I dunno what else to do.

Any ideas? Sorry again if this is a widely discussed topic...the search function is really breaking my balls.

BucketsPC
07-27-04, 09:23 PM
I just installed CoolBits2 and saw that it had a slider allowing to change AGP modes (PCI, 1x, 2x and 4x) and my card is in PCI mode. I have a GF4 Ti4400 and it has ALWAYS ran in PCI mode no matter what I do in the BIOS or anything. AGP 8x is enabled, I dunno what else to do.

Any ideas? Sorry again if this is a widely discussed topic...the search function is really breaking my balls.

I just installed CoolBits2 for my BFG 6800OC and there's Not a AGP mode slider,
BIOS has an AGP Mode = Auto, it is grayed out and Fast writes are enabled. Mine says "PCIx0" on the display properties using 61.21 drivers that came with the card what gives.

I have an MSI KT4Ultra with newest BIOS flash,

superklye
07-27-04, 09:29 PM
I just installed CoolBits2 for my BFG 6800OC and there's Not a AGP mode slider,
BIOS has an AGP Mode = Auto, it is grayed out and Fast writes are enabled. Mine says "PCIx0" on the display properties using 61.21 drivers that came with the card what gives.

I have an MSI KT4Ultra with newest BIOS flash,

That's kind of odd. The slider is under the section called "AGP Settings" in the little pop-out window on the side of the window.

AGP 8x is enabled in the BIOS as I said yet the card will never change out of being in PCI Mode.

BucketsPC
07-27-04, 09:43 PM
That's kind of odd. The slider is under the section called "AGP Settings" in the little pop-out window on the side of the window.

AGP 8x is enabled in the BIOS as I said yet the card will never change out of being in PCI Mode.

Mine doesn't have that slider :lame:

update: did a update of the VIA 4-1 drivers I now have 8x AGP showing and the tab is there :nana: , now lets see if it's running a faster ... :)

BucketsPC
07-27-04, 10:17 PM
My AquaMark3 score went from 32,900 to 46,342 :clap: ... Thanks (ALL) for the info
Mark :)

superklye
07-27-04, 10:28 PM
Mine doesn't have that slider :lame:

update: did a update of the VIA 4-1 drivers I now have 8x AGP showing and the tab is there :nana: , now lets see if it's running a faster ... :)

Glad yours is working, but what the eff am I supposed to do? :(

superklye
07-27-04, 10:32 PM
Glad yours is working, but what the eff am I supposed to do? :(

I tried setting the AGP Bus speed at 66Mhz (instead of Default) in the BIOS but that didn't change anything.

superklye
07-27-04, 10:45 PM
Nevermind. I figured it out.

Turns out it was a chipset driver issue. The drivers were never installed when I reinstalled XP and that was causing the issue. I downloaded them from Biostar and updating and now, AGP 4x. YAY!

leatherface
07-27-04, 11:11 PM
a little off topic, but just wondering:

the bandwidth and memory handling of all current cards, inlcuding the 6800 series, would not run any different in PCI Express vs. AGP 8x....

thats true, is it not?

I've heard all current video cards are still under the limits of the AGP 8x interface....

BucketsPC
07-27-04, 11:20 PM
Nevermind. I figured it out.

Turns out it was a chipset driver issue. The drivers were never installed when I reinstalled XP and that was causing the issue. I downloaded them from Biostar and updating and now, AGP 4x. YAY!

:jumping: That was my problem too .. Glad it's working now ....

superklye
07-27-04, 11:57 PM
a little off topic, but just wondering:

the bandwidth and memory handling of all current cards, inlcuding the 6800 series, would not run any different in PCI Express vs. AGP 8x....

thats true, is it not?

I've heard all current video cards are still under the limits of the AGP 8x interface....

i've heard this as well.

superklye
07-27-04, 11:59 PM
:jumping: That was my problem too .. Glad it's working now ....

haha, me too man. I'm so glad I checked Device Manager and saw that the SM Bus controller was having issues. A quick googling told me that was the chipset drivers and lo and behold, Biostar had them readily available.

I'm so excited to get my 6800GT tomorrow :)