PDA

View Full Version : no NV40 soon?

Pages : [1] 2

CaiNaM
04-21-04, 12:31 PM
EVEN THOUGH many of you expect to see NV40 Ultra and non Ultra soon in the stores it's not going to happen that soon. For all of you who are expecting to buy any cards before the end of April I have to say it simply won't happen.
Nvidia will ship some quantities in May - probably by the end of the month - while the real batch will be available in early June sources close to Nvidia confirm.

We saw some Nvidia papers with some interesting dates inside. The first beta drivers were ready at launch time, the 15th of April. Release Candidate RC driver is scheduled for 28th of May, quite some time from now and obviously when the card gets closer to being a reality. So, if nothing changes, Nvidia will ship the beta driver with its first cards but release the real thing soon enough, I guess.

Our knowledgeable friends also told us that there might be some price drops in June when the cards are massively available.

It ATI keeps its promise it will have quite few X800PROs at that time on the market and X800XT just ready to launch. And if ATI's claims are true Nvidia might have to play with releasing a higher clocked NV40 Ultra card. The NV40 Ultra 2 maybe?

SOURCE (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15439)

Dazz
04-21-04, 12:54 PM
From what i have heard the R420 will be out before the NV40, which is due out mid may or maybe even the end :eek:

digitalwanderer
04-21-04, 01:01 PM
May 6th R420 will ship and be available to purchase, nV40 won't be available to actually purchase until July.

Bank on it. :afro:

Unit01
04-21-04, 01:31 PM
More Inq posts / quotes from the same thread started???

Add your own opinion as well next time?
Hrm digi i thought you stopped posting here :p
Any evidence for that claim except "insider info"??

Clay
04-21-04, 01:36 PM
Ahh...let's see here. The Inq: check. Digi: check. Now all I need is for my uncle's mechanic's mother's gardener to chime in and I'm a believer. ;)

zakelwe
04-21-04, 01:58 PM
Brian Burke says end of May .. tough call on who to believe ?! :)

So I say neither and it will be June 6th or near to.

MUYA linked to

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech/200404/kt2004041917251911780.htm

I'm happy to delay till June if it comes with 700MHz Samsung memory on it. Mind you the voltages they have been trying out seem to fluctuate from an original 1.8v up to 2.1v before ending up at 2v.

Regards

Andy

Nvidia256
04-21-04, 02:05 PM
May 6th R420 will ship and be available to purchase, nV40 won't be available to actually purchase until July.

Bank on it.

Whatever Bank you go to, Throw my money in there as well :)

CaiNaM
04-21-04, 02:09 PM
well, i think it's a bit of a failure if nv40 comes late.. if ati delivers their product weeks in advance.

imo there's enough excitement in this gen. of hardware that many who are impressed with the nv40 may jump the gun and grab an r420 if the performance is similar, ps3.0 or not...

Nvidia256
04-21-04, 02:20 PM
Canam The X800 Pro was always supposed to come out before the NV40. The 6800 was nothing but a paper launch. If the NDA for ATI is released on the April 26, then we should see them in store shelves next week, however people are saying that ATI will wait till MAY 6, so that when they do unveil the X800, it will be avalible in store shelves that day.

We will just have to wait and see what ATI's move will be?

CaiNaM
04-21-04, 02:28 PM
Canam The X800 Pro was always supposed to come out before the NV40. The 6800 was nothing but a paper launch. If the NDA for ATI is released on the April 26, then we should see them in store shelves next week, however people are saying that ATI will wait till MAY 6, so that when they do unveil the X800, it will be avalible in store shelves that day.

We will just have to wait and see what ATI's move will be?

i know that.. no one thought nv40 would be available at the "launch".

however most people expected availableility late april, early may. now it's looking like late may or even june. i don't think that plays well for nvidia.

theultimo
04-21-04, 02:46 PM
If digi posts, its true.
;)

Dazz
04-21-04, 02:57 PM
It ,uch of a launch without the cards on the market :D

Riptide
04-21-04, 02:59 PM
Doesn't it seem odd that we can't pre-order these cards yet? If they are so close to shipping you'd think we'd be able to by now. Perhaps it is truth in that they are going to delay until early June before we can actually buy one. :(

Blacklash
04-21-04, 04:37 PM
Most of the word I have been hearing is end of may for NV40. I too believe the r420 will be out first. I am still buying my 6800u though, first or last release.

For 'just a paper launch', I have seen alot of cards though.

ClosetFanBoy
04-21-04, 04:54 PM
dont get sucked into a ati maketing ploy, hang onto your money and spend it where its meant to be spent - geforce 6800 period. or be really smart and hang on for the geforce 6969 512mb ultra-licious! ok so they may not name it that but it would be stellar if they did.

Nvidia256
04-21-04, 04:58 PM
dont get sucked into a ati maketing ploy, hang onto your money and spend it where its meant to be spent - geforce 6800 period. or be really smart and hang on for the geforce 6969 512mb ultra-licious! ok so they may not name it that but it would be stellar if they did

You say not to get sucked into marketing ploy, yet here you are doing just exactly that. You have declared the 6800U the winner, without even taking a look at what the R420 might bring. Also speaking of Marketing ploy again, Nvidia is dog dog in that area, "the way it's ment to be played" the PR stunt with the PS 1.4 vs PS 3.0 comparison etc.....

CaiNaM
04-21-04, 05:09 PM
You say not to get sucked into marketing ploy, yet here you are doing just exactly that. You have declared the 6800U the winner, without even taking a look at what the R420 might bring. Also speaking of Marketing ploy again, Nvidia is dog dog in that area, "the way it's ment to be played" the PR stunt with the PS 1.4 vs PS 3.0 comparison etc.....

i agree.. it's a bit silly to decide before even knowing what the competing product will offer.

as for 'marketing', it's not so different than ati pushing DX9, or bundling a voucher for a game we're STILL waiting for.. i don't think we will get away from marketing "ploys" by either company any time soon ;)

ClosetFanBoy
04-21-04, 05:29 PM

your right. i think the 6800 is the sheeit. why would i need a r420? because it might be faster? not good enough. i dont care whats said about 3.0, either you have it or you dont. correct?

Nvidia256
04-21-04, 06:14 PM
Yes I agree both companies are going to lanuch MP, but the reason for my comment was to the gentlmen who was indicating not to fall for one marketing ploy while he was buying into another.

it's not so different than ati pushing DX9,

Well this is the only area where we the consumers benefit, if DX9 is pushed. But of course both companies are going to launch very aggressive marketing campaigns

ragejg
04-21-04, 06:19 PM
@ ClosetFanBoy:

"not good enough"

...hm, I'm not really understanding your logic, ClosetFanBoy...

If you are leaning towards the NV side solely based on a "you have it or you don't" perspective... re: PS3.0, then I REALLY don't understand the first half of the sentence which states that you don't care whats said about PS3.0... :confused:

What points are you trying to prove?

If you are just plain excited about the new NV lineup, use the next couple months to learn about the features, learn about how games are playing on it, and make an informed decision if and when you purchase...

Failure to do so (or failure to keep things mature and non-idiotic) may result in the word "Closet" being removed from your user name.

Nvidia256
04-21-04, 06:21 PM
your right. i think the 6800 is the sheeit. why would i need a r420? because it might be faster? not good enough.

The question is what are you looking for? Tell me your criteria, what is it that you feel gives value towards a card. Hey it's up to u

Oh and I would just like to add one thingthat i directed to everyone here.

"IF" The X800pro is faster, people whom are Pro NVIDIA, will say speed means nothing etc.. Extra features that are not ever going to fully mature until next gen is the importance etc...

"IF" the 6800U turns out to be faster than the X800, you can bet your ass all the PRO NVIDIA people would be shouting that the 6800 is the king/best gpu and use that as fire

Vice versa for those of the ATI camp.

ClosetFanBoy
04-21-04, 07:06 PM
@ ClosetFanBoy:

"not good enough"

...hm, I'm not really understanding your logic, ClosetFanBoy...

If you are leaning towards the NV side solely based on a "you have it or you don't" perspective... re: PS3.0, then I REALLY don't understand the first half of the sentence which states that you don't care whats said about PS3.0... :confused:

What points are you trying to prove?

If you are just plain excited about the new NV lineup, use the next couple months to learn about the features, learn about how games are playing on it, and make an informed decision if and when you purchase...

Failure to do so (or failure to keep things mature and non-idiotic) may result in the word "Closet" being removed from your user name.

i will live and die by my beloved name! the 6800 has shown me that it has more than enough power. my plans are not to be king of the 3dmrk hill. if the 6800 blows away the r420 in that benchie, i could really give a rats ass. and vice-versa. and i promise i wont be in here spewing if the 6800 does. and it seems to me that the ati camp is saying -we gonna blow you away with speed- and i havent seen anyone get defensive about that. would you expect any less from ati? now if it were the r5xx that was coming out i MIGHT have a difficult choice, but its not. :ORDER:

Rogozhin
04-21-04, 10:54 PM
you are a boy, and a myopic one at that :)

You can only describe the quiddity of nvidia by negative attributes ;)

Rogo

Carbon Unit
04-21-04, 11:02 PM
R420 12pipe version will be due out in June, not date for the R420 16 pipe, seems all of the sudden ATI fixed the other 4 leaky pipes
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15440

Nvidia256
04-21-04, 11:05 PM
Dave Baumann who was at the ATI conference today has clearly stated that article from the Inquier to be false, just thought I would let you guys know.