PDA

View Full Version : 3 Pin fan connectors

aaahhh52
04-21-04, 05:21 PM
ok so i'm quite the noob at all this, i'm wanting to get a fan like this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-999-110&depa=1 now this says it has a 3 pin connector on it, now where exactly would that go, would it have to be hooked up to my mobo, or hooked up to wires on my power supply, i'm getting a lot of mixed answers everywhere else lol so please help :retard:

PaiN
04-21-04, 05:35 PM
That fan connects to the 3-Pin header on the motherboard

aaahhh52
04-21-04, 05:46 PM
ok thnx, hmm well then can you reccomend me a fan that uses the power supplies 4 pin connectors, that are at at least a 4500 rpm rate, i need something that really blows lol, i looked at the vantec tornado but its width is a little to big for the front of my case so it won't fit, any suggestions would be helpful thnx

aaahhh52
04-21-04, 07:43 PM
hmm well this one has a 4 pin and a 3 pin, would i need to plug in the 3 pin for it to work? or could i just plug in the 4 pin?

Kandoko
04-22-04, 01:55 AM
It will work fine off the four pin connector or three pin.
Don't!! :nono: connect both bad things would happen ;)

Motherboards usually have only a couple of fan connectors so fans come with an adapter to run off the 4 pin (molex) power supply connector.

The only reason to run it off the 3 pin(motherboard) is if you want to monitor the RPM of the fan.

saturnotaku
04-22-04, 08:00 AM
If you were doing any overclocking of your CPU, I would say plug it into the 4-pin adapter (one less thing your motherboard needs to provide power for). But since it looks like everything you have is at stock, you should have no trouble plugging it into one of the extra fan headers on the board.

aaahhh52
04-22-04, 01:45 PM
thnx for the help guys :)