PDA

View Full Version : The new guy...

ryoohki
04-22-04, 08:58 AM
Hi there, been browsing this site and the forum for quite some time and decided to register just today...

I'am not really a big computer part consumer but last month i decided that my Celeron 700mhz and Geforce 2 MX shall go into the realm of Backup computer...

Yesterday i've received my new Motherboard (Asus NF7-S), Athlon XP 3200+ and my ram. I've assemble all this and of course it's wayyyy faster than my old setup.

For the video card i decided to wait until the new Geforce 6800U is released. Since i upgrade once 2-3 years i plan to buy the fastest now so it will have a longer life in the future.

I know Nvidia has revealed the card last week, but i don't seem to find information about the Asus model or others on their websites. Someone know when they are plan to be released? I'am not in a hurry, gonna pile some cash in the account before buying it, but the fact that websites don't have their version listed yet might tell me that there not gonna be released that soon..

Thanks!

eesa
04-22-04, 09:11 AM
nobody really knows for sure when the 6800 will come to stores, but yeah, as you say, I wouldn't hold my breath...

actually, for someone who's looking to get the most bang for the buck, I find it's actually more worthwhile to buy at the sweetspot and upgrade more often. Get some midrange card now, and in two years, but another midrange card. I'm pretty sure the cost of 2 cards won't exceed the cost of one single high end card now, and the one you get in 2 years will be faster than the fastest available today. That works for CPUs as well.

|JuiceZ|
04-22-04, 09:27 AM
Being a person who doesn't upgrade very often hate to say but, you probably should of went w/ a A64/KT800 or NF3 (250) combo being it would be much more future proof than system you just built. Granted you've got a very nice rig now but just wanted to give you a heads up.

As far as video cards are concerned, smart consumers wait until competing products are released before making choices on where to spend their hard earned money. Granted the 6800U is an incredible card, as a consumer, it would be wise to wait to see ATi's offerings before making a final decision. :)

ryoohki
04-22-04, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the reply's! I've checked the AMD 64bit and Nforce 3 part before buying my system but i'am not that convience that 64bit will be all that even after 2-3 years from now. I perfer to let the thing mature out a few years before making the move to the 64bit world, that's why i choose to stay with the current system and buy what i've buy.

To be honest, i've updraded to play Far Cry, Half Life2 and Doom3 (next unreal too)etc... I'am a big console gamer and got an Xbox at home too, but those game look far more amazing on a nice rig than they will on the console.

Of course i'll wait for ATI, we'll know what's up they're sleeve in about a month if i'am not mistaken. I actually got the money to put on a graphic card right now. I never bought one that was actually more than 200$CAD, but now i'am ready to take the big step up!

saturnotaku
04-22-04, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the reply's! I've checked the AMD 64bit and Nforce 3 part before buying my system but i'am not that convience that 64bit will be all that even after 2-3 years from now. I perfer to let the thing mature out a few years before making the move to the 64bit world, that's why i choose to stay with the current system and buy what i've buy.

Even in applications that are available now, the Athlon 64 is still quite a bit faster and more efficient than its Athlon XP counterparts.

eesa
04-22-04, 01:36 PM
Of course i'll wait for ATI, we'll know what's up they're sleeve in about a month if i'am not mistaken. I actually got the money to put on a graphic card right now. I never bought one that was actually more than 200$CAD, but now i'am ready to take the big step up!

So I assume this means you're in canada? You can't get much for $200cdn these days :) Where in particular?

Daneel Olivaw
04-22-04, 01:39 PM
As many have pointed out, the Radeon 9800PRO is getting affordable (around or under 340$ CAN). Just don't buy a Radeon 9800se. Never a 9600se. Maybe a 9600pro/XT.

A genuine 9800 non pro would be a really nice buy, though it may be harder to find.

The GeForce 5900non ultra and GeForce 5900XT are quite affordable, the first just over 300$CAN, the second just below 300$. Both are quite similar, I'd choose depending on availability and manufacturer.

The GeForce 5700nu/U/256mB), in my case was a disappointment, I brought back mine to get a 5900XT. Never buy a 5600. You probably know that already.

A really cheap Geforce4 Ti (below 150$) could also be a reasonnable temporary buy. (I rather like the card, it has that 'coolness' factor :) :) :) )

check out prices at www.microbytes.com and www.shoplci.com if you're in Qc/ONT.