PDA

View Full Version : No monitor signal with new GeForce4 Ti 4400

Pages : [1] 2

Pontius
10-11-02, 06:53 PM
I just purchased a PNY ti 4400. I waited a few weeks and was so eager to get my new $200 toy. I get it, put it in my AGP slot and find that my monitor gets no signal with it. I swapped it out with my old card (a GeForce 2 MX), just to make sure, and that one worked fine. But my new card will not work at all! All of the troubleshooting guides talk about installing new drivers if your card doesn't work. Mine won't even get to that point, there is no signal coming to the monitor. I checked that power is going to it, and it seems fine because the fan on the card is spinning. I'm running it on a 1.33 GHz Athlon, asus a7a266 mobo with a viewsonic pf790 monitor. Can anyone help me? I've heard some mention of needing a beefy power supply with these cards. Maybe that's it. Thanks, bye

SurfMonkey
10-11-02, 07:29 PM
I would think you have a broken card. If you can try it in another machine or just get a replacement.

The Baron
10-11-02, 07:46 PM
Never heard of any problems with that particular board and GF4s, so I'm guessing you got unlucky and got a bad card.

Sorry bro.

OliverRedfox
10-11-02, 08:04 PM
If it craps out once you start booting windows, it could be a driver issue. But if you aren't getting a signal even when you first power on, such as your memory check and other bios boot functions, a driver won't change things, only a new video card that isn't broken will.

Pontius
10-11-02, 10:59 PM
I tested the card on another computer, Dell P4 and it works fine! So the card is definitely ok. But here at home, when I turn on the computer, the monitor doesn't get a signal and just displays its default "no sync" message. It's not a driver issue, the screen is blank from the start, before windows ever starts booting. Any ideas? Again, it's a PNY ti 4400, asus a7a266 mobo and an Athlon 1.33GHz. I just bought a 350 watt power supply, when it gets here in a week, I'll probably give that a try and see if it helps. I really hope so. Any other ideas?

Bah!
10-11-02, 11:00 PM
I had the same problem with mine when i first got it. It turns out the card just wasnt seated in the AGP slot all the way. It could be a bad card but it could also just need a bit of a push when you install it.

Also was your MX card pci or agp? If it was pci you need to switch the primary graphics to agp before you take it out so that when you put in the Agp card it will recognize it.

Pontius
10-12-02, 03:47 AM
my old card was in the agp slot and it was fine. i also made sure it was firmly pressed in. it is down as far as it will go. still, no signal. i'm going to tinker with the bios and see what happens

LordVampyre
10-12-02, 11:27 AM
sorrry sounds like a doa
:mad:

SurfMonkey
10-12-02, 06:18 PM
When you power up does the fan on the card start up? If it doesn't then it's probably not seated properly. My GF4 required some *ahem* encouragment to get it to seat in the AGP slot properly.

Also try and set your BIOS to initialise the AGP port first if you have that option.

Does your computer continue to boot even without the signal? And do you hear mutliple POST beeps when you power up?

So many questions, so few answers :rolleyes:

edit
just read your first post again, the fan is powering up so the cards getting power. Give it a good push anyways just to make sure!!

One other thing to try is increasing the I/O voltage by a fraction, if you have that option. This may be a little risky so I'd try it as a last resort.

Smokey
10-12-02, 07:54 PM
With computers you get to learn that they have a mind of thier own sometimes ;) Ive had the exact same problem with my GF3 in my old pc, thing is I still dont know what happened as I didnt change anything in the bios nor my pc and everything just started working again. It can be a rreal apin in the butt, start by only putting the videocard, cpu and one stick of ram in the motherboard and see how u go. Also something that has already been said, as the card is new it could be a tight fight in the AGP slot, so keep trying there, move the card from side to side a little. Or it may just be your power supply after all as I belive a P4 system will use a minimum 350watt and you may have a 250watt?

Pontius
10-13-02, 01:09 AM
Still no luck, here's a summary of where I'm at:

1) Tried it on a Dell P4 at work, and it works fine. Therefore, the card is not bad. It works perfectly fine on other systems beside mine.

2) I made sure it is firmly seated in the AGP slot. It can't go in any further, trust me.

3) I upgraded my bios, and still nothing. I'm really beginning to think it's the power supply. I don't even know how many watts my current one is. It's some cheap piece of crap I bought a long time ago. Although, there is enough power to make the fan on the card spin.

4) I ordered a new 350 watt supply, should be here in about a week, I'll let you know what happens then.

I really hope that fixes it, otherwise I'll need to get a new mobo, ugh.

walkndude
10-13-02, 06:18 PM
If you want to diagnose your problem you'll really need to strip the system. Remove all cards except the vc and only connect the hardrive, then set your bios to defaults.

It helps others to help you by being a alot more specific as far as listing your machines specs. Without detailed specs all your going to get are guesses.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-13-02, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Pontius
I tested the card on another computer, Dell P4 and it works fine! So the card is definitely ok. But here at home, when I turn on the computer, the monitor doesn't get a signal and just displays its default "no sync" message. It's not a driver issue, the screen is blank from the start, before windows ever starts booting. Any ideas? Again, it's a PNY ti 4400, asus a7a266 mobo and an Athlon 1.33GHz. I just bought a 350 watt power supply, when it gets here in a week, I'll probably give that a try and see if it helps. I really hope so. Any other ideas?

Could be your motherboard doesn't meet AGP 2.0 or 3.0 specification. I don't know why it wouldn't work anyways, I have older motherboards that work fine with GF4, but yeah, its probably not the card, also, probably sounds stupid so don't get mad at me for suggesting, but make sure the card is seated all the way in. I have had many times that I am 100% sure that the card is in fine(or at least I think) and I turn the power on to nothing but an error from the motherboard. Check it out, if that doesn't do anything, RMA works too.:D

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it. :p

thcdru2k
10-13-02, 09:39 PM
another one of those..stupid sounding post, but from my personal experience, with geforce4 and agp, i think i have it all the way in the slot, i mean all the connectors are in all the way, but theres this movable white thing at the end of my agp, if its not firmly pressed in with the card, it won't boot, even if all the connectors of the card are touching the agp connectors.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-13-02, 09:43 PM
LOL, yeah, that would make sense wouldn't it? it works like the memory slot. If the clip isn't in, then it doesn't work. I like how the AGP 3.0 slots look. I think they are smaller or something, but they have that extra clip.:D

Pontius
10-14-02, 11:10 PM
I've tried it all. The card is in as far as it will go. If I push any more, it will go through the mobo!

Still no signal. Of note, I tried it with a different monitor, and it still didn't work. So at least we know it's not the monitor.

I've also tried reverting to the default bios settings and only having a single hard drive and the card plugged in and nothing else. Guess what? Still doesn't work.

I ordered a new 350 watt power supply for $70 and am hoping that will solve the problem. We'll see what happens when that gets here. If not, then I know it's the mobo. I would really like to avoid buying a new one, since mine is only about a year and a half old. Spending the few hundred $$$ is not on my list of things to do. But what the hell, money burns, right?

What would really help is if someone with specifically an asus a7a266 with a GeForce 4 card could reply here and tell me if they've gotten it to work on their system. Let me know, thanks.

Pontius Pilate

PS What is RMA?

thcdru2k
10-14-02, 11:13 PM
if it really is the mb, don't even trip about price man. a great athlon xp mb can be had at newegg for $53. not $$hundreds. go check it out, its an ecs and tons of people at this board have had it and have nothing but good to say about it.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-14-02, 11:14 PM
What type of power supply have you been using, nVIDIA recommends at least 350W power supply for GF4 system. RMA is the Return Merchandise Authorization number they give you so you can return the product if it is defective.

thcdru2k
10-14-02, 11:17 PM
no need to rma..it works on the p4 dell he tried at work. if it ain't the p/s it most definately has to be the mb. oh well, a 350w ps won't be to waste, it definately would increase stability as you increase add-ins and connections to your computer.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-14-02, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about the Dell system. Okay, its not the video card, its your mobo. Ditch that old junker and buy a new one off of eBAY or Pricegrabber.com . They have great prices there and figure all the charges. Anyways, AMD based mobos are really cheap in prices, not quality, lol. But you should look into another motherboard, if your current one doesn't support AGP 2.0 or 3.0, then don't expect to get anything past GF3 to work on it, you should have at least a 350W power supply if you plan to use a GF4 in your system.

Pontius
10-16-02, 10:47 PM
Well, I got the new 350 watt power supply and everything works fine. My old one was only 300 watts. Guess that solves it. Don't ever try these cards with less than 350. Nvidia already said that though, guess they meant it. Thanks all

LORD-eX-Bu
10-16-02, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Pontius
Well, I got the new 350 watt power supply and everything works fine. My old one was only 300 watts. Guess that solves it. Don't ever try these cards with less than 350. Nvidia already said that though, guess they meant it. Thanks all

I have a Ti 4200 working fine on a 250W PSU P3 system. But thats because there isn't a heavy loud for the PSU from anything other than the CPU and GPU.

SurfMonkey
10-17-02, 03:19 AM
I had my Ti4400 and 2 HDs, DVD, CD-RW, SB-Live, NIC and TV-Card all running off a 250w AOPEN PSU. Everything was overclocked to the hilt and never once did I encounter any power problems. It looks like a definate case of Quality over Quantity!!

LORD-eX-Bu
10-17-02, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by SurfMonkey
I had my Ti4400 and 2 HDs, DVD, CD-RW, SB-Live, NIC and TV-Card all running off a 250w AOPEN PSU. Everything was overclocked to the hilt and never once did I encounter any power problems. It looks like a definate case of Quality over Quantity!!

LOL, yeah. That P3 that I have has a CD burner, a CD drive, a SB Audigy Gamer, 3 HDs 2 floppies, a GF4 w/its blueorb, a P3 with its Thermaltake HSF and 2 Pc cameras. All in all, it runs great. I guess its only when you start overclocking on those old PSUs that you run into trouble.

Mandarb1
10-20-02, 04:28 PM
I have an A7A266, MSI Ti4400, TBird 1.33ghz and I'm using a generic 300W PSU and I didnt experience any problems with using my video card... I'm using a two optical drives, a Zip drive, floppy, SB Live card, a couple of fans, exhaust fan, and other PCI cards. I dont think its the motherboards fault on this one. I havent heard of any problems similar to yours on the amdmb.com forums either... it could be that its a PNY :) But as long as it works now with your new PSU it doesnt matter much anymore :)