PDA

View Full Version : Anand speaks on NV40 vs. r420....

Pages : [1] 2

d2thez
04-22-04, 12:20 PM
Here is the quote from Anand's weblog....

I've always said that it doesn't make sense to upgrade your video card until you've seen what both manufacturers have put forth. This methodology works extremely well since ATI and NVIDIA have relatively similarly timed product cycles. I've seen a number of people preparing to upgrade their computers based on the GeForce 6800 Ultra results we've published recently, but what I'd caution here is the same thing we've been saying for a long time - wait. At worst, you'll wait less than a month and be greeted with another NV30, at best, you'll save yourself some money :)

I won't tell you which one the outcome will be, but I'd just caution you to wait, just a little bit longer - we're finally upon the home stretch. Now if we could only get some good next-generation content to take advantage of these cards.

I am not sure I like what I hear. I take this as Anand incinuating. He leads on that he knows which is more powerful but that he won't tell. I really wanted the 6800Ultra, but now I am not so sure....

GlowStick
04-22-04, 12:25 PM
This could go both ways, and i think he intenteded it to make sure he contradicts him self on witch one will be faster.

But i have a GOOD feeling that we will see previews of both cards, before eather one of them reach retail stores.

Jarred
04-22-04, 12:25 PM
Well Ati is supposed to announce something on the 26th right? thats like, next monday.

MUYA
04-22-04, 12:29 PM
it's FUD either way

Jarred
04-22-04, 12:31 PM
whats "Fud" mean? :P

MUYA
04-22-04, 12:34 PM
Fear, Uncertainty, distortion?

fury
04-22-04, 12:41 PM
Fictitious Underminding Deception ?

Evildeus
04-22-04, 12:42 PM
Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt ;)

CaiNaM
04-22-04, 12:42 PM
the statement is useless as best.

we will have full disclosure on both parts long before we will have the ability to buy them anyways.

Bopple
04-22-04, 12:45 PM
Hmm...
People who have seen both, are saying the same thing:
"..wait and see..it's too early to decide..btw I am not giving you any further info, since I am under nda..."

Maybe it's just a common sensical comment and coincidence, but...
It seems to me that x800pro is quite competent against 400MHz NV40.

Zeta
04-22-04, 01:16 PM
whats "Fud" mean? :P
AFAIK FUD = F$%@ed Up Data.

MUYA
04-22-04, 01:22 PM
Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt ;)
ah yes thanks for that :p DOUBT it is ;)

Daneel Olivaw
04-22-04, 01:24 PM
Is not Anandtech often biased towards ATI? (honestly asking)

Nvidia256
04-22-04, 01:25 PM
edit

Nvidia256
04-22-04, 01:29 PM
Is not Anandtech often biased towards ATI? (honestly asking

Ahh no, after all anand was the one Crowning the NV30 the king, untill he realized that the 9700pro was a monster.

Personally I like Anandtech, I do not feel he is a sellout yet.

Cota
04-22-04, 01:31 PM

I tought he was biased towards nvidia...

Anyway..., since the core speed of the r420 should be much higher than the nv40, it could beat it in PS 2.0 benches and maybe even dx8 games.

I really don't think the difference between the 2 will be as large as FX5950u vs radeon 9800XT in DX9 games.

Still we'll just have to wait and see...

eesa
04-22-04, 01:31 PM
lol, I love this guy.

Apart from the "general" advice he's giving to wait, since it's always the smart thing to do, I just want to add that no single card will win all the benchmarks since they're completely different architectures and even the settings used can bias it completely to one side or another. Sad that there's no fair way to compare apples and oranges, but it's important to be aware of that as well. I guess it really depends on what games you'll personally be playing and what settings you'll be actually using and focus on those particular benchmarks... and the price... and the stinking power supply issue.

jimmyjames123
04-22-04, 01:33 PM
I think that Anand is a decent guy. There is inherent bias in everyone to a certain extent, but I think he is honest. Note that he does not really write any of the video card reviews anymore, as far as I can see. Derek Wilson seems to be the lead writer now.

Bopple
04-22-04, 01:36 PM
I am not sure how they are these days around.
But many were misled, because they seemed to think highly of NV30 and considered it was coming soon - in their first 9700pro review.
And after some time had passed(well some months), they expressed their dissatisfaction on the NV30 delay - well, actually, they seemed quite annoyed.

Carbon Unit
04-22-04, 01:36 PM
Personally I would wait till DOOM III comes out, your going to need a faster cpu than the ones out and about 2Gb of RAM, preferably DDRII....by about this time the NV45 PCX will be launching, IMO thats the card to sink your money into

Cota
04-22-04, 01:44 PM
Well, at least I'm not biased to anyone

btw nvidia rocks lol
:lol2: :lol2:

CaiNaM
04-22-04, 01:45 PM
Personally I would wait till DOOM III comes out, your going to need a faster cpu than the ones out and about 2Gb of RAM, preferably DDRII....by about this time the NV45 PCX will be launching, IMO thats the card to sink your money into

:baaa::

D3 will run just fine on current hardware. you can bank on that.

Nvidia256
04-22-04, 02:00 PM
Guys I am not going to buy the 6800U or X800 until either HALF-LIFE 2 comes out or DOOM 3. Hopefully by then the 939 AMD64 1000HT Dual channel PCI-X motherboards will be out and then I can do a MEGA upgrade.

Daneel Olivaw
04-22-04, 02:01 PM
I stand corrected on my Anand bit. Thanks.

As for Doom III, you can be sure it'll run fine on current hardware, the fact that it's built on OpenGL 1.5 means it should run fine on both ATI and nV. (IMO) Shader use may not be as extensive as other games.

oqvist
04-22-04, 02:14 PM
Every common sense guy would say something like that.

Anandtech is among the best hardware sites really. That and Hardocp is quite good.