PDA

View Full Version : Soundblaster Audigy 2.........

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

demonized
10-12-02, 10:20 AM
I just found out today that creative now has soundblaster audigy 2. it hasnt been a year since i bought my logitech 560 and sb audigy and now there's something new again.

Anyways, the card has dolby digital ex 6.1 audio.

I guess were gonna start seeing 6.1 computer speaker systems.
Logitech and Promedia must be working on their 6.1 speakers right now.

how many times have you tried killing yourself when you buy something youve been saving for then a new version or something better comes out?

The Baron
10-12-02, 11:02 AM
6.1... bah, it doesn't do that much, and there are VERY VERY few things encoded in 6.1 anyway.

sbp
10-12-02, 12:16 PM
The Soundblaster Audigy 2 is an incremental upgrade to the Audigy. As someone with an Audigy and Santa Cruz, I won't be buying it.

There will always new version or something better coming out. Just look at videocards for an example. Unless you have deep pockets, at a certain point you have to say enough and enjoy what you have until the next big upgrade.

budd_wm
10-12-02, 12:54 PM
There's really nothing too new about the Audigy 2. It's the same chipset with basically more crap strapped on to it (basically it adds THX certification and 6.1 support, and 6.1 support can usually be enabled via software decoder or the soundcard drivers). Will probably be more compatibility issues than anything. I wonder if they will emulate 6.1 though or if it will let you manage all channels seperately via analog.

thcdru2k
10-12-02, 04:01 PM
they'res practically nothing coded in 6.1, the 6th channel will probably just be a duplication of the front channel.

Fluke
10-15-02, 07:11 AM
Did someone say Creative Labs sucks? Hmm, ok well I did now.

Audigy2 = If you didn't get screwed by Audigy 1, now we have version 2. Same crap with a different name.

sbp
10-15-02, 06:50 PM
Originally drooled on the keyboard by Fluke
Did someone say Creative Labs sucks? Hmm, ok well I did now.

Audigy2 = If you didn't get screwed by Audigy 1, now we have version 2. Same crap with a different name. Talk about being screwed. Hercules downgrades the Game Theatre line from Cirrus Logic CS4630 chip to the CS4624 chip without notice and thats fine by you. Meanwhile Creative releases a soundcard with incremental new features and it get bashed. How hypocritical! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Digit-life sure like the Audigy2: http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/creativeaudigy2/index.html

No doubt you'll retort to spew some more inanity.

Fluke
10-16-02, 08:06 AM
Actually you are right. But the Audigy 2 mostly introduces features that the Audigy already has and offers things that Audigy 1 was already supposed to have. But if you don't use all the features of your sound card how will you ever know. Most certainly not from just playing games.

To be honest with you. I am scrapping my Hercules. I've since gone back to my Audigy. NOT because the Audigy is better, but because, believe it or not, the drivers are more reliable!(Ack, can't believe I said that). My Hercules card has too many small issues with games like changing frequencies of sound, poor EAX or EAX that don't seem to be there.

But most definitely I notice a tremendous amount of video lag in my games with Audigy because it's drivers flood the PCI bus. Only explanataion I have for Audigy and crap performance. With Hercules in my games are smooth as hell like I upgraded my CPU or something. There is just such a huge difference in online playing with the Hercules.

So overall it's a trade off. Better smoother games or better quality sound with choppy game play. For now I have the Audigy.

As to your shot about the 4624... The only difference between the 2 chips in reality to what you know is that the 4624 has slightly different buffering and can't handle as many instructions. The 4630 could handle more. But you would never know in game because even at high quality sound my games never lagged. There is nothing wrong functionally with the 4624 but there was with the 4630. Hercules made a good move, and they list the technical specifications on their site, so what are you whining about again??

ss1
10-16-02, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by sbp
Talk about being screwed. Hercules downgrades the Game Theatre line from Cirrus Logic CS4630 chip to the CS4624 chip without notice and thats fine by you. Meanwhile Creative releases a soundcard with incremental new features and it get bashed. How hypocritical! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Digit-life sure like the Audigy2: http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/creativeaudigy2/index.html

There's pratically no difference between the CS4630 and CS4624 chips. The only differences are:

The CS4630 has:

1. mp3 acceleration - Works in only wmp 6.4 - big deal
2. Some more MIPS - not much though
3. Dolby Digital Decoding - Disabled on all CS4630 boards since Cirrus Logic doesn't want to pay Dolby Licence costs.

ss1.

budd_wm
10-16-02, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by sbp
Talk about being screwed. Hercules downgrades the Game Theatre line from Cirrus Logic CS4630 chip to the CS4624 chip without notice and thats fine by you. Meanwhile Creative releases a soundcard with incremental new features and it get bashed. How hypocritical! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh jesus. That's a lame arguement. No features were downgraded on any Hercules card as the chipsets are nearly identical. This has already been talked about in many threads. :rolleyes:

Fluke
10-16-02, 11:38 AM
The MIPS difference is not slight. But the impact of losing the MIPS in my opinion has some effects on sound quality. Haven't seen to many peeps with a 4630 talking about problems with sound. 255 MIPS and 420 MIPS is a lot of difference IMO. Nearly 200 MIPS difference.

4624 Chipset

AC `97 2.1 Link CODEC, PC `99 and PCI 2.1 compliant interface
255 MIPs SLIMD DSP architecture
DirectSound® 3D positional audio with EAX and A3D positional standards and acoustic echo cancellation for Net Meeting
Unlimited-voice wavetable synthesis with effects, + DLS and 10-band graphic equalization
4-channel output capability
High-quality hardware sample rate conversion (90+ dB)
Legacy support for PC/PCI, DDMA, and CCLS
96-stream DMA interface with hardware scatter/gather
Secondary AC `97 1.0/2.1 Link CODEC interface for multi-channel and digital docking support
Asynchronous digital serial interface (ZV port)
S/PDIF digital input and output interfaces (PCM, AC3 5.1)
MPU-401 MIDI input/output interface
3.3V power supply (5V tolerant I/O)

420 MIPs SLIMD DSP architecture with more memory
Hardware acceleration for Microsoft DirectSound® and DirectSound3D positional audio
PC '98 and PC '99 compliant
Sensaura 3-D, 2 or 4 channel audio
EAX 1.0 enhanced environmental audio standard
Unlimited-voice wavetable synthesis with effects + DLS
Acoustic echo cancellation for NetMeeting™
10-band graphic equalization
High-quality hardware sample rate conversion (90+ dB)
Legacy support PC/PCI, DDMA, and CCLS
PCI 2.1 compliant PCI interface
Full duplex, 128-stream, DMA interface with hardware scatter/gather support
PCI power management APM 1.2, and ACPI 1.0
Power Management Event (PME#) generation: D0-D3cold
Dual AC `97 2.1 CODEC interface
Asynchronous digital serial interface (ZV Port)
S/PDIF digital input/output support for PCM/AC3 5.1
DirectInput joystick and MPU-401 MIDI in/out
3.3V / 2.5V power supply (5V tolerant I/O)

Considering Audigy can do 1000 MIPS... theres a big gap between the two cards.

ReDeeMeR
10-17-02, 09:29 PM
Well I have Audigy and dont have any problems and it also runs on VIA chipset, I dont know why you people are bitchin bout it so much, the quality is great and the software is great to(I mean players etc not the drivers :P)

Fluke
10-18-02, 07:38 AM
Hey that's great. Sure glad you don't have problems with your 2GHz system with DDR333. At least it's good to know with a system like yours the Audigy wont lag my games. I assume too from what you are saying that in any game you play online that your sound settings are always on the highest settings and you still get peak performance.

ReDeeMeR
10-19-02, 08:26 AM
Yep, all games at max quality and np's, except maybe for battlefield1942 theres huge fsp jumping like 120 to 40 or so in the heat of battle, but I play with max bots (400%) :P

And I'm also getting mp3 skiping sometimes, but rarely

CainSyris
10-20-02, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by ReDeeMeR
Yep, all games at max quality and np's, except maybe for battlefield1942 theres huge fsp jumping like 120 to 40 or so in the heat of battle, but I play with max bots (400%) :P

And I'm also getting mp3 skiping sometimes, but rarely

Originally posted by ReDeeMeR
Well I have Audigy and dont have any problems and it also runs on VIA chipset, I dont know why you people are bitchin bout it so much, the quality is great and the software is great to(I mean players etc not the drivers :P)

Can anyone say backpeddling? Compare "don't have any problems and it also runs on VIA chipset, I don't know why you people are bitchin bout it so much, the quality is great" to "except maybe battlefield 1942 theres huge fsp jumping like 120 to 40" and "getting mp3 skiping sometimes." Hardly "don't have any problems." And really the tip of the iceberg. You probably don't notice the bandwidth hog that SB Audigy is because you're too busy posting here about how perfect (while ignoring mp3 skipping) it is to do anything where you'd see it.

At least you were bold enough to admit you outright lied in the previous post. ;) And you answered your own question of "I don't know why you people are bitchin" because your own problems with the card are the reason. Congrats. ;)

Now back to your regularly scheduled bashfest of Creative. And yes, they deserve it for shoveling the same crap again and again. Hopefully, SB Audigy 2 will be better, but SB Live, SB Live 5.1, and SB Audigy 1 all having the troubles that have become emblematic of Creative sound cards does not instill much hope.

PS:

I read (I believe over at 3dsoundsurge.com) that THX certification is spun off of LucasArts now and that Creative invested in the new company. Now, Creative has THX certification.

Do the math. Does it mean anything except for that cash investment? Of course, Creative says it makes their products better, but somehow... I suspect its more to do with the cha-ching of the cash.

The Baron
10-20-02, 09:05 PM
My next sound card will either be in the nForce or an m-Audio thing.

'Nough said.

malachi1313
10-21-02, 01:17 AM
The Audigy 2 has improved DAC's so sound/music reproduction is improved. This is to me the Audigy's major weakness. Compared to the Acoustic Edge or Turtle Beach Santa Cruz the Audigy sounds distorted and muddy during any kind of music playback. I know because I own all 3 cards. I'm gonna give the Audigy 2 a shot to see how it sounds. As far as game compatibility the Audigy wins hands down. As far as positional effects in game the Acoustic Edge wins with there Q3D algorithym. Haven't heard positional effects this good since the Vortex 2. Audigy's implementation just makes sound's louder and then adds reverb to the environment. The AE's way sounds WAY better and you would have to hear it to believe it. In BF1942 you can tell exactly where a plane is flying from and which direction it is headed. Rockets actually sound like they are flying over youre head. Unfortuanately the sound is glichty and some times cuts out but that might be something wrong with the game and not the card itself.

anxdiety
10-21-02, 01:48 AM
this just reminds me of the article i read way back about how creative just used newer drivers for their newer released cards and never did actually change the hardware itself. The numerous revisions of the original sb16 was the card they did this too. IT seems about the same now with the whole series of cards. The live had the exact same thing except no 5.1 support so they added it and called it a new card. They add minute features one at a time and it goes nowhere since they could enable a lot of them through drivers like they had promised with the whole live ware debacle. live ware was promised as a free upgrade to all of us but now if we really want it we have to order the cd directly from creative for the support. The best example is just how the market the exact same card as the gamer, mp3 models with only the software as a difference....

Smokey
10-21-02, 05:27 AM
I would like to get an Audigy2 as my next sound card. As with all pc hardware I buy, I read reviews first. When I got my SBLive about three years ago, it was the best budget (LiveValue) card out. Its been used on three different motherboards without problem. As the saying goes, each to thier own, if you dont like Creative sound cards dont use them!

MikeC
10-21-02, 05:33 AM
Here's a review at GamePC:

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=audigy2&page=1

Fluke
10-21-02, 07:31 AM
Smokey

biased, paid, tainted non investigative reviews. Anyone can rate a sound card by sound quality, or fluff it up to make it good. And it always is great when they slide you a brand new Audigy 2 for free when writing the review. Ya that always gets a realistic review.

The one thing you wont see ANY reviewer do because of the above mentioned is go through the hassles of benchmarking a soundcard. Then you would see Creative Lose. There is software that can test sound cards but for Creative Reviews I challenge you to find "one" review that has. Or find a review that directly compares the cards like Hercules, or Philips or Turtlebeach... ya wont.

My grandmother can put on headphones and say anything sounds great. Doesn't take much of a brain to do that.

Enjoy your rebranded Audigy 1, Smokey.

Fluke
10-21-02, 07:43 AM
MikeC

I especially like this paragraph:

"Creative's Audigy2 sound card is a great sound card. Let's get that out of the way. Sound reproduction is dead-on perfect, the 3D positional audio is superb, and the feature sets on these boards are far and above anything else on the consumer market today. With that said, after testing the Audigy2 against Creative's past two generations of audio cards, it appears more and more that the Audigy2 is an evolutionary step for this family, rather than an incredible jump. "

Flaws of his test.
"Sound reproduction is dead-on perfect, the 3D positional audio is superb, and the feature sets on these boards are far and above anything else on the consumer market today"

- This is pure Bull****. Sorry. But this clued out wonder never tried a Philips Accoustic edge or Game Theatre or Santa Cruz, Otherwise he'd know what he's missing.

"With that said, after testing the Audigy2 against Creative's past two generations of audio cards,"

- Wow, that's usefull, why don't we test a Ford against a Ford. Or how about a KIA against a KIA. Ya there's a realistic test. GO BUY ONE NOW!

"The biggest threat to Creative's dominance in the audio market will come from the low-end. As nearly every new motherboard on the market is being shipped with some variant of AC'97 audio onboard, more and more users are finding they don't need to rely on a third party audio card for good audio performance."

- Plain and simple, this reviewer is a dickhead. Low-end? Is he also meaning Hercules and Turtlebeach?? Low End, Game Theatre XP literally kicks the crap out of their Audigy line, both in the breakoutbox and sound quality. Or maybe he's talking the nForce sound card, another I hear kicks the crap out of Audigy.

This is the perfect, "Please Creative give me a Audigy2 for free", review...

P.S. I could literally go thru this whole crap review and pick out more but what's the point. But to be honest I was getting sick reading all the BS.

thcdru2k
10-21-02, 08:48 AM
or you could go get an audigy 2 and see how it is? if its crap u can always return it.

Fluke
10-21-02, 09:16 AM
LMAO, no thanks. Why would I be foolish to buy a rebranded Audigy 1 card?? The thing only has 6.1. I got 7.1 with my under rated Hercules Theatre XP which I am going to be putting back in this weekend, now that Hercules supplied me with a patch.

Smokey
10-21-02, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Fluke
LMAO, no thanks. Why would I be foolish to buy a rebranded Audigy 1 card?? The thing only has 6.1. I got 7.1 with my under rated Hercules Theatre XP which I am going to be putting back in this weekend, now that Hercules supplied me with a patch.

Sorry tell us again what sound card you are using and why you are using it? I thought it was Creative that had the bad drivres :confused: Anyways have fun with your 7.1 sound card that will never be conected to a 7.1 setup ;) As I said in my previous post Fluke, I read reviews with and s on the end, meaning I dont read one review, which in the first few lines says is bieng done by gamers, not sound buffs. If you where such a sound buff I have no idea what your doing with such a cheap sound card in your pc? Read some other reviews that have extensive tests, and you will see that the Audigy2 is improved.