PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading pc

Skado
04-27-04, 07:43 PM
Want to upgrade my 2600+ amd athlon compaq with, AMD athlon 64 3200,new mobo/RAM. Would this be possible to upgrade in to the compaq i cant see why not maybe im missing something, also any ideas what mobo/ram to buy to go with the cpu. Thanks

Tuork
04-27-04, 08:43 PM
Here's a thought: send ME your old CPU! :D

Seriously!

He he he...

Regarding your question, I don't really know much about A64's... but I seem to have seen plenty KT800 (sp?) boards around...

stncttr908
04-27-04, 09:04 PM
I can recommend some boards and processors, but you're probably going to need a new case. Not only would the airflow be horribly inadequate, but some OEMs butcher their cases and boards in such a way that they're incompatable with other hardware.

Underzenith
04-27-04, 09:20 PM
I can recommend some boards and processors, but you're probably going to need a new case. Not only would the airflow be horribly inadequate, but some OEMs butcher their cases and boards in such a way that they're incompatable with other hardware.

Dell powersupply + ATX Motherboard = BOOM!!!
ATX Powersupply + Dell Motherboard = BOOM!!!

But seriously, you really don't need a CPU upgrade right now. At least wait for the new nForce 250s and the KT880s. Then maybe you can pick those up or get a lower price on the KT800s.

Rytr
04-27-04, 09:22 PM
As long as the case complies with ATX standards and the standoffs for mounting the new mobo are correctly arranged to mate with the mounting holes of the new mobo.

jAkUp
04-27-04, 09:29 PM
I dunno if the PSU would be enough, or if it even has the 12V connector, many oem manufacturers still make systems with low end motherboards that don't require it.

kraigc
04-27-04, 10:42 PM
Dell powersupply + ATX Motherboard = BOOM!!!
ATX Powersupply + Dell Motherboard = BOOM!!!

My Dell power supply worked fine with my asus P4P800....

Bluedog
04-27-04, 10:49 PM
Here's my PC Upgrading adventure. To start with I was set to purchase a new high end system back in December but to my astonishment this arrived http://napps.nwfusion.com/weblogs/cool/archives/HP-Presario-desktop.jpg :( No I'm not ungrateful but this Celeron powered PCI pumping rig just wasn't in my plans.

So with the funds already in hand I decided to make the best of this situation :rolleyes: Now the main thing was the case had to stay cause we didn't want to hurt no feelings but the inside, that's were the fun began. Since it's a MicroATX case the mobo choice was limited so I chose the Intel 865GLC fitted with a P4 3.0C HT with Corsair Twinx 1024-3200C2, Antec SL400 PSU, WD 7200HD, eVGA 5900nu and a ATI Wonder Pro TV Tuner (software is crap). The case is very well vented but I added two Antec 90mm Smart Fans front and rear for adequate ventilation. CPU runs @ 34C idle and 47C loaded. There is not one thing remaining inside that relates to Compaq :D.

The only thing different is I should have tried either the MSI or Gigabyte MicroATX 865 chip boards. They have OC'ing ability as my Intel board only has changes for memory timings, which I run @ 2-3-3-6. One thing I'll say it's a very stable and fast setup with the Dual Channel Corsair and the P4 3.0.

Just checkout my Benchmark scores below.

Underzenith
04-27-04, 11:12 PM
My Dell power supply worked fine with my asus P4P800....

Really? They must of stopped that practice. I know they did something to the i815e motherboards (the one in my system) back in 2000/2001, something to do with changing the position of the pins on the power connector for both the power supply and the motherboard.

Sazar
04-27-04, 11:12 PM
Want to upgrade my 2600+ amd athlon compaq with, AMD athlon 64 3200,new mobo/RAM. Would this be possible to upgrade in to the compaq i cant see why not maybe im missing something, also any ideas what mobo/ram to buy to go with the cpu. Thanks

if you dont mind me asking... why are you upgrading the setup you already have?

doesnt make sense to me since you are going to see minimal real performance gains across the board...

Skado
04-28-04, 06:52 AM
if you dont mind me asking... why are you upgrading the setup you already have?

doesnt make sense to me since you are going to see minimal real performance gains across the board...

Well trying to improve my fps in a 2d game, i made a list of things to buy let me know what you think.

Gigabyte K8VT800 Socket 754 (Athlon64) Motherboard LAN SATA
AMD K8 Athlon64 3200 Socket 754 64bit Processor
Silver 9980 ATX Case - 400W PSU, Window,blue case fan
Cosair 512mb PC 3200 DDR400 memory Module

Sazar
04-28-04, 11:53 AM
aaah.. :)

I thought you had written 3200+ of the barton variety..

:retard:

not a bad setup you have there... make sure its a good psu though... needs to be delivering in the region of 18A on the 12V rail... should be written on the psu itself somewhere I think...