PDA

View Full Version : Please help, doing my first build today

AndrewK
04-27-04, 10:42 PM
Just got everything all hooked up. Hooking up sata hd. When I DO NOT have the hd hooked up I can boot up and start to load windows but of course since the hd is not hooked up it will not finish.
When I do have the hd hooked up it gets stuck on verfying dmi pool. I have a Gigabyte GA-7vt600 mobo.

Any help would be much apprecited.

netviper13
04-27-04, 10:48 PM
the board should have come with an SATA drivers disk. Early during the Windows install process it should give you an option to press one of the Function keys (F3 IIRC) to load drivers, do so and load the SATA driver from the disk. XP doesn't have native SATA support so it won't recognize those types of drives.

ricercar
04-27-04, 11:12 PM
I believe Andrew is saying that he doesn't get past the BIOS boot, and never gets to a point where Windows Installer asks him to "press (F6) to install SCSI or RAID drivers".

Andrew, if this is the case, you may need to disable something in the BIOS (say for example, the IDE/ATA controller) to enable enough resources to be allocated to the SATA drive.

AndrewK
04-27-04, 11:13 PM
Right that would work if I could get past the verifying dmi pool screen. But since I can't theres really no way to load the drivers.

netviper13
04-27-04, 11:26 PM
Aha my bad, sorry.

AndrewK
04-27-04, 11:28 PM
Tried disabling the ide controller still nothing, just getting hung up there. Anyone with any other thoughts. This is killin me. Was really hoping my first build would go smoother than this.
Maybe I shouldnt have gone with sata?

-=DVS=-
04-28-04, 12:16 AM
It might be defective hardware i only installed SATA twice once on my main rig AOPEN MB and other MSI MB , both detected Sata disk in bios only for windows needed Floppy , stupid windows can't they accept CD or other types of data :retard:
Anyways check your sata cables one for power and one for data , data cable should not be bend to mutch or rolled up try connecting to different connector on Motherboard SATA-1 , SATA-2 , maybe Giga-Byte motherboard needs somekind of switch check manual just in case , also calling Giga-Byte tech support is one of better options before RMA.