PDA

View Full Version : New AA method can this be done on nvidia cards!!! 2x effective AA for free!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

nexus_alpha
04-29-04, 05:30 PM
THe link (http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=4533&head=1&comments=1)

This new method looks awesome question is this an ATI only method or not. From what I read this method offers traditional 4x AA quality at 2X AA speeds and even OMG!! 12X AA quality at 6X AA speeds. Man I am drooling already at this feature on what ever card it can run on.

CaiNaM
04-29-04, 05:34 PM
and this falls under "nvidia graphics cards" how?

it's also old news, but thank you.

Nv40
04-29-04, 05:36 PM
THe link (http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=4533&head=1&comments=1)

This new method looks awesome question is this an ATI only method or not. From what I read this method offers traditional 4x AA quality at 2X AA speeds and even OMG!! 12X AA quality at 6X AA speeds. Man I am drooling already at this feature on what ever card it can run on.

that "feature" is a performance/quality mode.. a shortcut, that trades quality for performanceat some situations (thats why you get better performance).. quality wise is not any better that real AA modes of ATI or NVidia. there are already many people that doesnt like it and complaining about graphics problems in forums about it.

nexus_alpha
04-29-04, 05:37 PM
Because the persons who can answer my question are on this part of the forum. Can this method run on nvidia cards yes or no. The other persons in the other graphics cards section are fanATIcs and the would obviously answer no.

walkndude
04-29-04, 05:38 PM
Ugh.

nexus_alpha
04-29-04, 05:43 PM
Ok you have not answered my question and besides in the article yes the new 4x AA method is not as good as the traditional 4x AA method but it is better than the traditional 2x AA method with NO speed sacrifice so I do not see how this trades performance for quality. Many persons who have tried actually like it including the authour of the article. I think it would be awesome if this could run nVIDIA cards. You know even out the competition price wars us customers benefit. I also happen to own a nVIDIA card and quite happy..... but I go where the goods not loyal to any company.

Nv40
04-29-04, 05:44 PM
Because the persons who can answer my question are on this part of the forum. Can this method run on nvidia cards yes or no. The other persons in the other graphics cards section are fanATIcs and the would obviously answer no.

i dont think you will ever need that performance/feature in next generation cards from ATi or NVidia. they will run at minimun at real 2xAA for free ,and few performance drop at 4x.in most games.. that feature will be more usefull for R3xx or similar performance hardware.

creedamd
04-29-04, 05:48 PM
i dont think you will ever need that performance/feature in next generation cards from ATi or NVidia. they will run at minimun at real 2xAA for free ,and few performance drop at 4x.in most games.. that feature will be more usefull for R3xx or similar performance hardware.

Nv40 is right, but as new games come out that are more demanding, this little dandy of a feature could come in handy for both Nvidia cards and Ati!

ChrisRay
04-29-04, 05:50 PM
This cant be done on Nvidia cards, Nvidia doesnt support Programmable multi Sampling. Nvidia did implement a super sampling feature like this in the past but discontinued it because it never worked like they wanted it too.

GlowStick
04-29-04, 05:51 PM
This post dosent make sence

New AA method can this be done on nvidia cards!!! 2x effective AA for free!!!

Its not 2x AA for free....its better looking AA sometimes for the same hit as 2xaa........

and to answer your question, at this moment no.

CaiNaM
04-29-04, 05:58 PM
ok, to avoid FUD i'll play...

this DOES NOT INCREASE PERFORMANCE. what it CAN offer, is 2x the aa with no performance degradation. how does it do this?

it applies seperate aa to every other frame. your brain "blends" the 2 images into 1, giving the appearance of twice the aa - with no additional hardware processing required.

while still a bit sketchy, it seems it's all software, so the only limitations of what hardware runs it would be that of "intellectual" property..

gordon151
04-29-04, 05:59 PM
that "feature" is a performance/quality mode.. a shortcut, that trades quality for performanceat some situations (thats why you get better performance).. quality wise is not any better that real AA modes of ATI or NVidia. there are already many people that doesnt like it and complaining about graphics problems in forums about it.

The whole point of temporal AA is to achieve higher AA quality without sacrificing any more speed than we already do. This means that you can have 4x AA for the price of 2x, 8x for the price of 4x, and 12x for the price of 6x. Also from the reports that I have seen from those that have tested it, the 8x & 12x effective temporal modes look a lot better than regular 6x setting on R3xx. Furthermore would the fact this is an unfinished mode hint at why there might be some problems?

gordon151
04-29-04, 06:04 PM
ok, to avoid FUD i'll play...

this DOES NOT INCREASE PERFORMANCE. what it CAN offer, is 2x the aa with no performance degradation. how does it do this?

it applies seperate aa to every other frame. your brain "blends" the 2 images into 1, giving the appearance of twice the aa - with no additional hardware processing required.

while still a bit sketchy, it seems it's all software, so the only limitations of what hardware runs it would be that of "intellectual" property..

No it's not all software, nVidia would need a programmable antialiasing engine.

creedamd
04-29-04, 06:06 PM
Hehehe... this is hilarious, downplay something that is a completely free option that is hidden, and not supported. You got to love nvidiots. WE DONT WANT IT ON OUR CARDS! FREE AA SUCKS!

As soon as they figure a way to get it on their cards. OMG THIS ROXORS!! HOW DID I EVER BREATHE WITH OUT TEMPORAL AA!!!

ATI fans were just as bad with the "MEH, dawn sucks, the monkey looks better" then when R300 rendered her faster, "OMG DAWN IS HAWT!! IN YO FACE NVIDIATS I HAXXORD DAWN!!" Fanboys, you can't live withem, you can't live without em!

Nv40
04-29-04, 06:08 PM
Nv40 is right, but as new games come out that are more demanding, this little dandy of a feature could come in handy for both Nvidia cards and Ati!

but you forget that as new games,demands more.. you will not be able to use that. on low fps you will get tearing,shimering and many (ings)...that some may not not notice ,but some will notice.some have said that it looks like crap!!.you need high constant smooth framerates (so this alone disqualify it for demanding games) and it produce diferent results on diferent monitors apparently.so its not a reliable thing to be used in any review ,because you will not get the same results on every pc. at least real performance modes can be replicated in every pc.temporal aa not. you get better framerates because you do less work on AA .as simple as that. is not any better than real AA modes IQ wise.i dont know of anyone who will buy a top of the line video card like R420 ,to run in performance mode.and the problem is that is has many limitations ,there is as many people that dislike temporal TT and much that like it.

ChrisRay
04-29-04, 06:11 PM
Hehehe... this is hilarious, downplay something that is a completely free option that is hidden, and not supported. You got to love nvidiots. WE DONT WANT IT ON OUR CARDS! FREE AA SUCKS!

As soon as they figure a way to get it on their cards. OMG THIS ROXORS!! HOW DID I EVER BREATHE WITH OUT TEMPORAL AA!!!

ATI fans were just as bad with the "MEH, dawn sucks, the monkey looks better" then when R300 rendered her faster, "OMG DAWN IS HAWT!! IN YO FACE NVIDIATS I HAXXORD DAWN!!" Fanboys, you can't live withem, you can't live without em!

I have never said the feature was useless, Or Un needed. Nvidia supports several features within their drivers like this, Which arent neccasary. I'm pro feature. But like many hidden features such as super sampling. it has its pros and downfalls.

It is very unlikely this will ever be implemented on Nvidia hardware, If Nvidias AA samples were programmable. They wouldnt been stuck with an OGMS pattern for so long.

That being said. Dont you think you are exxagerating the reaction to it just a bit?

creedamd
04-29-04, 06:12 PM
but you forget that as new games,demands more.. you will not be able to use that. on low fps you will get tearing,shimering and many (ings)...you need high contant framerates and it produce diferent results on diferent monitors apparently. there is as many people that dislike temporal TT and much that like it.

well of course the cycle will always be in motion, that's why we have different options to turn our card up and down to adjust for performance. This temporal AA cannot be a bad thing if it does what people are getting it to do.

creedamd
04-29-04, 06:14 PM
I have never said the feature was useless, Or Un needed. Nvidia supports several features within their drivers like this, Which arent neccasary. I'm pro feature. But like many hidden features such as super sampling. it has its pros and downfalls.

It is very unlikely this will ever be implemented on Nvidia hardware, If Nvidias AA samples were programmable. They wouldnt been stuck with an OGMS pattern for so long.

That being said. Dont you think you are exxagerating the reaction to it just a bit?

I didn't call you out bro, I didn't even know you had posted in the thread previously. Misunderstanding?

CaiNaM
04-29-04, 06:20 PM
No it's not all software, nVidia would need a programmable antialiasing engine.

hmm.. does it? interesting.. do you have a good link with more information?

Nv40
04-29-04, 06:33 PM

there is nothing wrong with free options.. the more the merrier.
but when those options is backwards work in IQ ,and people praise it as "better" than real AA modes. then there is a problem.

radunovicL
04-29-04, 06:34 PM

You need girlfriend... :retard:

Cota
04-29-04, 06:36 PM
To answer the question...

With current nvidias AA implementation, its not possible to use temporal AA, since you can't change sampling patterns on nvidia cards.

They could implement a similar mode by using alternate 2x and 4x or multisampling and supersampling.

BTW nvidia is working on new AA mixed modes
4x mixed 2x rgms and 2xsupersampling
8x mixed 4x rgms 2x supersampling

reever2
04-29-04, 06:51 PM
but when those options is backwards work in IQ ,and people praise it as "better" than real AA modes. then there is a problem.

Umm it works in different ways in different situations. In the ones it works on, which isn't as little as you think(do you even have an ati card to test this?), it has a great effect on quality. The places where it doesn't work is because the R300 isn't getting good speed anyway, R420 will change this. If you don't like the feature or it isn't working the way you want it in the situation you are trying, then don't use it, it's a simple concept. If you don't like people praising it because of assumptions you are making, you need to take a chill pill

gordon151
04-29-04, 07:11 PM
hmm.. does it? interesting.. do you have a good link with more information?

Yeah, the link that the very first post on this topic points to.

CaiNaM
04-29-04, 08:04 PM
Yeah, the link that the very first post on this topic points to.
already read that :)

i was replying to your reference to the nivdia hardware and the programmable aa patterns. since the nv40 is touted as such a "programmable" gpu (incl decoding and all that), i was looking for info on why their aa has to remain "fixed".