PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to MSI 875P?

Lfctony
04-29-04, 10:11 PM
Currently on my PC, I'm using a P4P800, which I'm very happy with. Now, I've heard some things about the 875P Neo, like dynamic overclocking and other stuff. I know there isn't much difference performance wise. What I'm interested in is:
1. Overclocking Stability, as I can take my current CPU to 280FSB with no problems on my current M/B.
2. Prescott support. Does this motherboard support it?
3. Dynamic O/C. Does it work properly, as I have heard it has some problems.

jAkUp
04-29-04, 10:24 PM
1. I never go MSI for overclocking, they just dont seem to be as stable, I would rather look to ASUS/ABIT
2. Yes it supports Prescott's
3. PAT Technology, Meh. I would rather manually overclock.

Lfctony
04-29-04, 10:33 PM
So you think I'm better off with my current Asus one? I don't use PAT, since I o/c, and Asus does offer excellent options for o/c.

jAkUp
04-30-04, 01:02 AM
I would. Its a better board IMO.

Lfctony
04-30-04, 05:39 AM
Thanks, I think my money would be better spent elsewhere.

mikez
04-30-04, 10:55 AM
MSI uses cheaper capacitors. they don't like the increased voltages at all. forget MSI and overclocking, it's not as good as some places / reviews lead u to believe.

*cough* toms *cough*

Sazar
04-30-04, 11:38 AM
MSI uses cheaper capacitors. they don't like the increased voltages at all. forget MSI and overclocking, it's not as good as some places / reviews lead u to believe.

*cough* toms *cough*

:rofl

i think you mean asus uses cheaper exploding capacitors :D

the 875 boards use a 6 phase power circuit design which is hardly a cheapy :)

the board has pretty solid performance and MSI released 2 versions to help the overclocking crowd... the 875 ver 2.0 and the 865 Platinum Edition are designed to cater to the oc'ing crowd...

the 865 version is almost identical to the 875 board except MSI does not call PAT as such and call it a proprietary name (intel and licensing)

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=554

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=556

Lfctony
04-30-04, 12:47 PM
I've decided to save my money for the next generation of video cards, performance inc was to be minimum or none anyway.

mikez
05-01-04, 02:27 AM
i think you mean asus uses cheaper exploding capacitors :D

who knows. i don't use either of em ;)

stncttr908
05-01-04, 10:15 AM
I've decided to save my money for the next generation of video cards, performance inc was to be minimum or none anyway.Good call. Regardless of an ASUS board or an MSI, you're still using the same system give or take minimal performance fluctuations.