PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Custom Edition

Vash
04-30-04, 06:30 PM
Go check it out here. (http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Halo&Number=175740&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all)

I know there are fewer on the board who care (especially with Far Cry to take up our time... :drooling: ), but here's the low-down:

(Warning: Inferred from posts at the above link) Gearbox wanted to add a bunch of stuff to Halo PC, but MS and Bungie didn't want to support it. So apparently, Gearbox has put a lot of effort into creating a different version of the game that will not be supported by Microsoft or Bungie - giving them the right to update it at will.

Also, the HEK and updated patches, fast shaders, improved netcode, etc, will be coming "very soon." (http://www.bungie.net/News/Story.aspx?link=hpchekupdate) An excerpt:

Both teams have worked together to create a process in which Gearbox can continue to release content updates and game enhancements without affecting the original retail code. Fans who are interested in playing custom created maps or taking advantage of new game updates will need to download the new software available on the Gearbox site. These new software updates are optional and will not be included in the game's auto-update system.

I'm psyched. It's about time that the Halo PC community got a crack at modifying the game (not to mention getting the bloody fast shader code). Whatever snag was holding things up is now gone.

:jumping:

It's pretty late in coming, but better late than never.

(Sorry about the deleting the original thread, Master Zeta - cat jumped on my keyboard while I was editing the msg)

Vash
04-30-04, 07:01 PM
More info for those who care:

Halo Custom Edition is a 170MB package that will require the Halo PC CD to install the game. The HEK is 260MB.

-Fast shaders are included in this release
-new netcode is in this release
-Halo PC and Halo Custom Edition will not network with each other
-HaloCE is going to be Gearbox's development focus
-Fixing cloaking for Nvidia users is high on their list for the next patch

You can find the FAQ here. (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com//showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Halo&Number=175999&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

Gator
04-30-04, 08:38 PM
so basically if I install CE, I can't use any of the old servers I've been playing before? :screwy:

Vash
04-30-04, 09:48 PM
Nope, but I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of the servers will switch over to Custom Edition - being able to run fast shaders and better netcode will be a huge draw. Halo.Bungie.Org will definitely be running CE, as will Gearbox and Bungie (GB and Bungie will probably also run regular servers, no doubt).

If you think you might not be able to get on your old servers, I'd suggest emailing the server admin and prod him into updating.

Nephilim
04-30-04, 10:40 PM
Sweet, I can't wait for this.

randsom
05-01-04, 12:17 AM
finally a new reason to install halo

Vash
05-01-04, 08:38 AM
A bit of bad news: HaloCE as released will be multiplayer only. Since the only new feature that would affect single player is fast shaders, it looks like they left it out.

This sucks, but I realize that the only reason I fired up Halo once I finished the campaign was for the multiplayer, and it's the multiplayer that needs the new netcode, fast shaders, etc. Apparently, they had to change something in the maps, and if they had put up the whole single player campaign too, it would have been something like a 1.36GB download.

Oh well, maybe they'll release it if enough people in the Gearbox forums make noise about it.

saturnotaku
05-01-04, 08:50 AM
Then release it as two separate packages - one for SP, the other for MP. Some of us don't want or don't care to play online but they would like to take advantage of the fast shaders to improve performance in SP.

Vash
05-01-04, 10:08 AM
Just got an answer from the devs concerning SP:

In order to make user created content possible, we had to recreate how Halo's cache file system works. Doing this requires us to remake and redistribute the map files. So officially, no SP.

Besides, if they were to redistribute the SP maps, they would be huge - near a full gigabyte.

However, once the HEK is in our hands, I'm certain there are going to be a slew of people interested in bringing the SP campaign to HaloCE (or at least bringing the fast shaders to Halo PC). Gearbox has been hinting that the HEK is quite powerful and that while it's officially for making maps there's "no telling what people might be able to do."

So we'll see. I bought Halo PC for multiplayer, and HaloCE is exactly what I wanted in the original release. If I want to play the SP campaign for the time being, I'll use my brand new Xbox (or Halo PC).

I thought you sold your copy of Halo PC anyway, Sat...?

saturnotaku
05-01-04, 08:25 PM
I thought you sold your copy of Halo PC anyway, Sat...?

Maybe, but that doesn't mean I still don't have a copy. ;)

Vash
05-01-04, 10:39 PM
Maybe, but that doesn't mean I still don't have a copy. ;)

Forgot to throw away your backup copy, hmm? You might want to take care of that... if you can find it, that is. ;)

saturnotaku
05-01-04, 10:44 PM
Meh, doesn't really matter. I don't plan on reinstalling the game. Haven't had it on my system since trading it in (for far less than what I paid for it in the first place).