– Avoids temporal aliasing (jerkiness)
– Adds realism, “cinematic” look to games
– 24fps with motion blur can look better than 60fps without
I don't think that was the temporal AA most people were thinking of. :rolleyes:

ChrisRay
05-01-04, 01:13 AM
http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/8230/GDC2003_OpenGLShaderTricks.pdf

I don't think that was the temporal AA most people were thinking of. :rolleyes:

Motion Blue can be a form of Anti Aliasing, as can any kind of blur.

mikechai
05-01-04, 01:27 AM
Motion blur does add realism to games.
IMHO, enable motion blur in NFS underground adds *realism* feel to the game.

-=DVS=-
05-01-04, 01:29 AM
Thats an effect not AA , you will not blurr entire screen to alias jaggies :rolleyes:

Casper
05-01-04, 05:11 AM
And I who thought the NV3X antialiasing was blurry already lol

Can be nice of course. That is what the movies do and they don´t look jaggy ;)

ChrisRay
05-01-04, 05:13 AM
And I who thought the NV3X antialiasing was blurry already lol

Can be nice of course. That is what the movies do and they don´t look jaggy ;)

eh? which Modes?

2x/4x shouldnt Blur anything at all.

reever2
05-01-04, 05:58 AM
Motion blur is possible on any card with MRT support, and it's different than temporal AA in it's effect

Casper
05-01-04, 06:17 AM
eh? which Modes?

2x/4x shouldnt Blur anything at all.

I meant the antialiasing on the 58/59xx series... It´s not as sharp as ATI:s from my observings.

Was just a joke about the motion blur on the 6800 ULTRA antialiasing ;)

ChrisRay
05-01-04, 06:34 AM
I meant the antialiasing on the 58/59xx series... It´s not as sharp as ATI:s from my observings.

Was just a joke about the motion blur on the 6800 ULTRA antialiasing ;)

Guess we'll just have toagree to disagree, The Multi Sampling aspect of it looks the same to me. Just doesnt hit jaggeds as well.

Super Sampling Blurs text, But Not the textures tho, So I'd agree with you there, and Quincunx/4x9tap do Blur substancially ;p

Drumphil
05-02-04, 11:01 PM
motion blur adds realism??? Turn your head from side to side quickly and tell me how much motion blur you see. Motion blur just reduces the IQ of the whole image so polygon edges are harder to see..

pat777
05-02-04, 11:10 PM
motion blur adds realism??? Turn your head from side to side quickly and tell me how much motion blur you see. Motion blur just reduces the IQ of the whole image so polygon edges are harder to see..
That's good, maybe it'll look less blocky then.

Drumphil
05-02-04, 11:18 PM
yeah, less blocky but EVERYTHING gest blurry instead.. Thats why they have proper AA algorithms.. So edges can be smoothed without blurring the whole image.

In fact you can get blurring for free!! Just use a cheap LCD with a high pixel response time (>16ms).. Oh wait, everyone is trying to get the faster (16 or 12 ms) panels to reduce this..

Nutty
05-03-04, 07:26 AM
motion blur adds realism??? Turn your head from side to side quickly and tell me how much motion blur you see.

Unlikely you would see much, given you probably cant turn your head fast enuff. Wave your fingers infront of your eyes fast, and you will see motion blur easily.

Drumphil
05-03-04, 08:21 AM
yeah, but you dont wave your hands infront of your face in computer games.. Your head moves very little cause your monitor only takes up a small part of your field of vision.. For motion blur to be realistic your need the object on screen moving witht the same relative velocity of you doing the waving hands thing. This is very rare in 3d games. You would need an algorithm that would work on a per polygon basis based on its speed to determine the blur. A simple full screen blur can't do this.

edit: come to think of it, it doesn't matter anyway.. adding motion blur isn't realistic anyway.. why? because its your eyes and brain that create the blur on fast moving objects. If you have an object moving on screen with the same relative velocity of your hands waving in front of your face you will see it blurring for the same reason you see your hands bluring.

Seoulstriker
05-03-04, 09:21 AM
I think that the IQ on nVidia cards is very much superior to the ATi IQ. The 4xS AA on my 5900 is so incredibly sharp yet has no jaggies, something ATi would never be able to do. :rolleyes: I'm glad that the 3dfx technologies are finally being incorporated into the nVidia cards. :ORDER:

Casper
05-03-04, 09:49 AM
Most people would disagree with you there Seoulstriker. nVidia don´t have anything to touch atis rotating grid gamma correcting aa. That is why they implement something similar for the 6800 ULTRA though I don´t think it´s gamma correcting??

And about motion blur if I turn my head around really fast yes I get motion blur ;) Try it out for yourself.

creedamd
05-03-04, 10:04 AM
I think that the IQ on nVidia cards is very much superior to the ATi IQ. The 4xS AA on my 5900 is so incredibly sharp yet has no jaggies, something ATi would never be able to do. :rolleyes: I'm glad that the 3dfx technologies are finally being incorporated into the nVidia cards. :ORDER:

I have to disagree there, the AA on the FX series doen't hold a candle to the radeons, but the 6800u bypasses it clearly. (these observations are taken from MikeC on both accounts, the AA wheel that compared the 2, and the recent "top or bottom" thread.

Morrow
05-03-04, 11:02 AM
That is why they implement something similar for the 6800 ULTRA though I don´t think it´s gamma correcting??

All the GF6800s have gamma corrected AA, nvidia just doesn't make a fuss about it as ATI does...

Spotch
05-03-04, 11:07 AM
Descent 3 has motion blur and bump mapping and it used to work on my old radeon 32 DDR.

Casper
05-03-04, 11:07 AM
All the GF6800s have gamma corrected AA, nvidia just doesn't make a fuss about it as ATI does...

Maybe because that used to be an ATI exclusive feature ;) Now nVidia make a lot of fuzz about Shader Model 3 :lol2:

That was indeed good news. Hope they will support temporal aa as well if their driver engineers manage to implement it.

My 21" monitor needs antialiasing even at 1600x1200 ;)

Cota
05-03-04, 12:15 PM
just turn your head several times until you get dizzy and all jaggies will magically dissapear

Then again, you'll be seeing blue spots instead of jaggies

:screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

Casper
05-03-04, 12:22 PM
It´s enough making one fast left to right turn lol. You do get motion blur because your eyes aren´t quick enough so it can make scenes look more realistic.

reever2
05-03-04, 12:30 PM

Maybe it's so sharp because it's supersampling
:rolleyes:

The actual AA portion still isn't as good as Ati for comparable performance.

Cota
05-03-04, 12:32 PM
It´s enough making one fast left to right turn lol. You do get motion blur because your eyes aren´t quick enough so it can make scenes look more realistic.

Actually its not the eyes the ones that create the illusion of bluring

Its the brain.

Seoulstriker
05-03-04, 12:33 PM
Maybe it's so sharp because it's supersampling
:rolleyes:

The actual AA portion still isn't as good as Ati for comparable performance.

the s stands for sub-pixel optimization or something. and what is this rotated grid people are talking about? When I'm in UT2004, the nVidia IQ is night and day better than ATi IQ, and that is something you can't dispute.