PDA

View Full Version : Fuad's FooFoo - Higher Clocked Ultra....

Pages : [1] 2

ClosetFanBoy
05-01-04, 05:35 AM
ok i know how much you guys love fuad and his fud, and since you love it soooooooooooo much, i thought you might be interested......

6800 ultra clocked above 450 (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15641)

CaiNaM
05-01-04, 06:10 AM
why is that? makes sense to me, we've been speculating that for some time.. and fuad's been pretty much right on in his nv rumors anyway..

would be good news for me, as i'm rather disappointed in the $500 price on the x800PRO (tho it could be just one place trying to gouge for preorders).

Casper
05-01-04, 06:18 AM
You have to love competition. Without the X800XT we would never see those clockspeeds on the 6800 ULTRA and vice versa...

radunovicL
05-01-04, 09:28 AM
I guess the price of 500 for r420 Pro is ok, because what I think that r420Pro offers in the term od IQ and Performance is unbeatable. I think r420Pro is monstrum card even for 6800Ultra. Next week, after first review we are going to look like this :wtf: :crosseye: :afraid:

Dazz
05-01-04, 09:49 AM
But reviews could hardly clock their cards any higher then 450Mhz to start with.

NightFire
05-01-04, 09:59 AM
rad, I agree that r420 will be one h*** of a card, but let's wait to reserve judgement. We have no idea that it will be jaw-droppingly faster than the nv40, or even better than it.
Well, the NDA lifts on the 4th, right?

evilchris
05-01-04, 10:35 AM
But reviews could hardly clock their cards any higher then 450Mhz to start with.

The INQ states they are doing it through the BIOS. So, they probably upped the voltage too.

Jethro
05-01-04, 10:37 AM
many of the early review cards had a hastily installed choke coil installed if u look back at some pics. a few reviewers even pointed it out. also look how cool these review cards have run, if you know anything about overclocking if its cool itl prolly clock higher with more juice..

jimmyjames123
05-01-04, 10:38 AM
would be good news for me, as i'm rather disappointed in the $500 price on the x800PRO

The X800Pro is not going to have a price of $499 in standard form. No way. Maybe with a lot of extra memory, but not in standard form. I'd expect a list price closer to $399.

Bad_Boy
05-01-04, 10:43 AM
all i gotta say, if this is true. this is good for the consumer both ati and nvidia consumers.

XanderF
05-01-04, 10:50 AM
And reviewers only got the A1 sample cards.

It's been reported for a LONG time that the A2s were 475mhz....they just weren't supposedly being used in the 6800 Ultra. (In fact, Brent from [H] was VERY sure the 6800 Ultra was shipping to retail with A1 silicon)

That's what led my speculation that we would be seeing the 6850 within a month of the 6800 Ultra release - timed to compete with the X800XT. If nVidia has just decided to go with a 450+ part for the 6800 Ultra after all...

Well, that's better for us, in any case!

d2thez
05-01-04, 10:54 AM
Well on www.gamersdepot.com, they say they spoke with Nvidia about the GT and higher clocked Ultras. They said that they weren't announced because they are noth within 45 days of being available, which is their policy.

They said that the higher clocked Ultras will probably be a special limited production run card, but we won't see it yet!

Lfctony
05-01-04, 11:18 AM
But, the X800XT will be clocked at 525, it will be one hell of a fight. Depends on efficiency basically, since the NV40 isn't that efficient in some games (Farcry) while very efficient in others(Halo, COD).

jimmyjames123
05-01-04, 11:28 AM
since the NV40 isn't that efficient in some games (Farcry)

Don't you think it is a bit premature to say that the NV40 is inefficient in FarCry, based on raw drivers and software that defaulted the NV40 to NV3x hardware settings in game? To be realistic, the NV40 should be even more efficient than current gen cards in FarCry, especially when the SM 3.0 add-on is included.

evilchris
05-01-04, 11:43 AM
But, the X800XT will be clocked at 525, it will be one hell of a fight. Depends on efficiency basically, since the NV40 isn't that efficient in some games (Farcry) while very efficient in others(Halo, COD).

Nobody knows the XT's clock yet that has spoken.

Lfctony
05-01-04, 11:52 AM
I don't think its premature, even if results could change later on. The thing is, reviews will take place at the given time with the given drivers. Take a look at the Nv3x. Months later with much improved drivers and extremely improved performance, many still think it was a bad product line.Even if the 6800U loses due to bad drivers, no one will really give it credit later on when Nvidia improves performance.

On the same side, performance in FC could be due to immature drivers, but then again, it could not. Its up to Nvidia now, get their act together, and fix any problems reported about the 60 series of drivers, so that we consumers get a much better image about competing products. I already love the NV40. It only remains to be seen whether I will buy it or not.

Lfctony
05-01-04, 11:53 AM
Nobody knows the XT's clock yet that has spoken.

Thats if the INQ is correct! :)

DMA
05-01-04, 11:54 AM
I heard that on Monday/Tuesday some reviewers will get retail 6800 Ultras, and they are indeed clocked higher. I guess NVIDIA want to see the retail cards vs X800 XT on "R420 launch day". :D

They'll also get a new set of drivers to play with. Should be an interesting week. :bounce:

Lfctony
05-01-04, 12:15 PM
I hope my CPU can push these cards. Damn, I haven't been this excited about a video card launch since February last year.

jimmyjames123
05-01-04, 12:16 PM
I don't think its premature, even if results could change later on. The thing is, reviews will take place at the given time with the given drivers.

You have to realize that the NV40 was defaulting to NV3x hardware settings using v1.1 patch in FarCry with the current beta 60 series drivers! That is not a typical scenario, to say the least, regardless of what drivers are used. We already know that the NV40 has blazingly fast pixel shader speed, especially compared to the top current generation hardware. There have been numerous tests done to show this very point. To be quite frank, I don't think there is any need to worry about efficiency with FarCry and the NV40. Time will tell, of course.

Lfctony
05-01-04, 12:19 PM
You have to realize that the NV40 was defaulting to NV3x hardware settings using v1.1 patch in FarCry with the current beta 60 series drivers! That is not a typical scenario, to say the least, regardless of what drivers are used. We already know that the NV40 has blazingly fast pixel shader speed, especially compared to the top current generation hardware. There have been numerous tests done to show this very point. To be quite frank, I don't think there is any need to worry about efficiency with FarCry and the NV40. Time will tell, of course.

I am very aware of that. I hope they do sort that out.

"On the same side, performance in FC could be due to immature drivers, but then again, it could not. Its up to Nvidia now, get their act together, and fix any problems reported about the 60 series of drivers, so that we consumers get a much better image about competing products"
:rolleyes:

Ninja Prime
05-01-04, 01:42 PM
I doubt this is true. Playing with the BIOS without a really really good revision would simply result in the 6800 sucking up exponentially more amount of power for the mhz gain. Even just going to 450 would make it suck enough power to feed 3 Prescotts. I'll believe it when I see it.

Lfctony
05-01-04, 02:57 PM
3 Prescotts? Thats 330W! :D

Jethro
05-01-04, 03:02 PM
LOL, note to self take anything Ninja has to say with a JUG of salt.

noko
05-01-04, 06:23 PM
Who was it that ran a 6800U on a 200w p/w? In anycase it does sound a little fishy, no dustbuster type design cooler, heatsink cooler then expected, lower power requirements then expected but yet two molex connectors. I just can't stop believing that Nvidia will have a significantly faster clocked card then what was reviewed. Maybe the 400mhz is just to get acceptable yields from IBM where as some of the chips will do 600mhz while many won't, who knows?

To think Nvidia will settle for 400mhz and let ATI walk over them is also not what Nvidia does. Nvidia went to extremes with the NV30 to at least have a showing against ATI's best and in some cases it did better. The NV40 is Nvidia at its best, like the old days, an awesome card. This was a complete redesign from the NV30 era and seems to be out even before ATI's R420 designed and improved upon R3xx series. I think ATI will have a few surprises for us all so this makes it even more interesting in the end.