PDA

View Full Version : whats the best choice in geforce fx cards atm ?

Pages : [1] 2

CrashnBurn
05-01-04, 09:52 AM
Hi i just registered since i noticed most people here know enough about these kinda things

i am looking into buying a new gfx card
but i am bit stuck which one it will be
it wont be the 6800 since i dont see any reason why i should waste 500 bucks on a gfx card just because its so newi rather wait untill untill the prices drop a bit but 500 for a gfx card is insane imho

so it will probably be a Geforce FX 5700-5900
which ones are currently the best ?
i know there is a 5700 with 256 Mb but for a reasonable price and a 5900 with 128 which a bit faster memory i believe it was for also a decent price
but what would be the best choice ?
GFX cards was never a thing i payed attention to at least not like any other hardware

Thanks

dave_
05-01-04, 10:11 AM
the FX line is crap. wait for the new cards. even if you can't afford the new ones they'll push prices down.

creedamd
05-01-04, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I agree with dave, or if you want a good bang for your buck you can get a 9800pro from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-281&depa=0

But if you don't need it right now and want to wait for nvidia, definitely wait for the new cards. They should be out sometime in the next month or so.

Kev1
05-01-04, 10:34 AM
I dont think the FX line is "crap" :rolleyes: Mines been great :thumbsup:

If you were buying a GFFX now, the best one for price vs performance to get is a 5900XT. Any from 5700 Ultra to 5950 Ultra would be good, but for the money you pay the 5900XT is best.

You may also want to consider a Radeon 9800 Pro, since prices have dropped a lot. Its around $200 dollars now and is also a great buy price/performance wise.

Good luck whatever you choose. I have been very happy with my 5900, now flashed 5950 :)

CrashnBurn
05-01-04, 11:09 AM
yeah i got told allot to go for ATI

which would be the card to wait for then
are you talking abou the PCI Express card which are coming ?

might consider doing that and stick with this one for now
since as i said i am not really the person who wasted 500 bucks on a stupid graphics card
before you know its old crap lol

Lfctony
05-01-04, 11:11 AM
You two (answers 1 and 2) are entitled to your own opinions. Yes, the FX line is inferior to ATI's R3xx line, but its far from crap. I am talking from my own personal experience. The R3xx is slower in OpenGL. Does that make it a crap line? No. I would indeed say that your money would be better spent on a 9800P card, but the FX line is far from crap.

creedamd
05-01-04, 11:25 AM
You two (answers 1 and 2) are entitled to your own opinions. Yes, the FX line is inferior to ATI's R3xx line, but its far from crap. I am talking from my own personal experience. The R3xx is slower in OpenGL. Does that make it a crap line? No. I would indeed say that your money would be better spent on a 9800P card, but the FX line is far from crap.

I'm sorry, I meant that I agreed with him on the waiting part. LoL.

CrashnBurn
05-01-04, 01:35 PM
a friend bought a
Chaintech Geforce 5 - FX 5700 256MB DDR
though i never heard of Chaintech 150$ for it seems cheap
or the Galaxy/Zeus FX 5700 256MB DDR

anybody know something about those 2 ?

dave_
05-01-04, 01:53 PM

okay let's not make this all about the FX, of course it isn't literally crap, if you could go back in time 5 years with even the FX5800 you'd blow everyone's socks off, 10 years back and you'd be worshipped as some kind of demi-god. but compared with other cards currently available and the cards about to become available they are not (imo at least) a good choice.

Clay
05-01-04, 02:15 PM
yeah i got told allot to go for ATI

which would be the card to wait for then
are you talking abou the PCI Express card which are coming ?

might consider doing that and stick with this one for now
since as i said i am not really the person who wasted 500 bucks on a stupid graphics card
before you know its old crap lol
Since you're new, I would suggest ignoring simpleton responses that contain blanket statements. The NVIDIA FX product line has its strengths and weaknesses, as does the ATI R300 product line. There are no absolute answers. It depends a lot on what kinds of games you'll be playing, how picky you are about driver stability with games, IQ, FPS, etc. Recently I've had an NVIDIA Ti4800SE, 5900Ultra, 5700Ultra and 5950Ultra. I also have an ATI 9800Pro AIW. I play Call of Duty quite a bit, Far Cry, Dungeon Siege and UT2k4 as well. I still have my 5950Ultra in my machine and have no compelling reason to pull it out and put the 9800Pro in. Nothing against the 9800Pro, it's a fine card but the differences that some make out to be mountains are much closer to mole hills (either way). ;)

To answer your original question about a 5700 256MB or a 5900 128MB...again, it depends. If you value higher resolutions (likely not over 1280 in most games though), AA and AF enabled then you'll want more memory and the 5700 is an exceptional card and a great value. If you are into more raw horsepower and like to overclock then you'd probably be happier with a 5900. You'll be able to play more games at higher resolutions but likely not over 2xAA in most of those games with acceptible framerates. Another factor that is important is your system of course. The faster your proc and memory, the better.

Here are some of our reveiws of the 5700Ultra and 5950Ultra:
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/gainward_fx_5950_golden_sample/index.shtml
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/bfg_geforce_fx_5700_ultra/index.shtml

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, and for someone to spend $500 on a video card is not necessarily a waste of money. That expenditure is entirely relative. If someone is making $400,000/year then a $500 is a drop in the bucket. Also, ATI and NVIDIA will price their products based on what consumers will pay. Obviously, there is a market that supports and qualifies a $500 video card. Sure, I think that $500 is a ton of money for a video card (as most do). There are those that do not, though, so more power to them. :)

Lfctony
05-01-04, 02:45 PM
5900XT, perfroms on par with the high end 59xx models, at a fraction of the price. Best value for money, regarding Nvidia cards. Regarding 128MB memory, the 5900 will be faster than a 5700 at any given test due to 2 facts:

1.128MB is enough for most situations.
2. Even at the unlikely event that all 128MB are used, it would require such extreme detail settings, that the 5900 with its more powerful core and almost 3 times of memory bandwidth, will eat the 5700 for breakfast.

CrashnBurn
05-01-04, 03:11 PM
well i know for one i wont be playing any game over 1024x786 resolution
and offcourse i will be playing halflife2 and doom 3 when they are out
but i think the main game will stay Planetside for me a game which requires a decent card imo
and later on this year Matrix Online

and to be really really honest allot of people told me to get ATI cards
but i always ignored them because i never liked ATI cards lol
i guess once you make up you mind about what kinda hardware you want to deal with you stick to it same goes for AMD CPU's wont use those either lol

i dont know of any of you ever played planetside or knows which the best choice would be in FX type of cards
5700 with 256 Mb or 5900 with 128 Mb
and do the brands make allot of difference in it i mean as i said the chaintech and galaxy/zeus i was told are good but i never heard of any of the brand

and the whole 500$ card thing well i think most people who got a job maybe even some without a job can afford it
its just the way you think about it me for one dont want to spend it on just a gfx card

creedamd
05-01-04, 04:47 PM
well i know for one i wont be playing any game over 1024x786 resolution
and offcourse i will be playing halflife2 and doom 3 when they are out
but i think the main game will stay Planetside for me a game which requires a decent card imo
and later on this year Matrix Online

and to be really really honest allot of people told me to get ATI cards
but i always ignored them because i never liked ATI cards lol
i guess once you make up you mind about what kinda hardware you want to deal with you stick to it same goes for AMD CPU's wont use those either lol

i dont know of any of you ever played planetside or knows which the best choice would be in FX type of cards
5700 with 256 Mb or 5900 with 128 Mb
and do the brands make allot of difference in it i mean as i said the chaintech and galaxy/zeus i was told are good but i never heard of any of the brand

and the whole 500$ card thing well i think most people who got a job maybe even some without a job can afford it
its just the way you think about it me for one dont want to spend it on just a gfx card

If you are planning on playing HL2 and Doom3, I would definitely lean towards the 9800pro, even though nothing is concrete all info so far points to the 9800pro being able to accel greatly at those titles, moreso HL2 than Doom3.

Lfctony
05-01-04, 04:51 PM
5900s are vastly superior to the 5700 series. Also, the 5900 can handle HL2 fine, and it can handle D3 very good as well.

CrashnBurn
05-01-04, 07:18 PM
yeah i kinda expected that
since doom and halflife devs worked closely with ATI
but since Planetside is one of my favorites since the release i also got a small dillema since PS works closely with nvidia if i am not mistaking

but you say 128Mb is more then enough on a gfx card
so if i would go for FX then it would be better to go for the 5900 series instead of the 256Mb 5700 series

saturnotaku
05-01-04, 07:22 PM
so if i would go for FX then it would be better to go for the 5900 series instead of the 256Mb 5700 series

The 256 mb 5700 cards use slower/higher latency memory, plus 5700 cards are hampered by a 128-bit data bus. The 59xx line has a 256-bit memory interface, effectively doubling the bandwidth available for games. More memory bandwidth makes a difference when using anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, both of which you should take advantage of if you're limited to 1024x768 resolution.

Edge
05-01-04, 07:24 PM
Actually, I would recommend you wait, simply because even the "low-end" 6800 should be very very good, and should only cost $300 (a far cry from the $500 of the high-end model). Not to mention the release of the new cards will cause all the older cards to take a price dip, I wonder how many "9x00/GeforceFX card for sale" threads we'll get in the for-sale forum when the 6800 is released ;)

CrashnBurn
05-01-04, 08:14 PM
Actually, I would recommend you wait, simply because even the "low-end" 6800 should be very very good, and should only cost $300 (a far cry from the $500 of the high-end model). Not to mention the release of the new cards will cause all the older cards to take a price dip, I wonder how many "9x00/GeforceFX card for sale" threads we'll get in the for-sale forum when the 6800 is released ;)

well you got a point the release of the 6800 will cause a price drop
but the low end 6800 is something i dont think will be out anytime soon
though you never know

BigE4u
05-01-04, 08:15 PM
the FX line is crap...

Are you baseing that from a lack of IQ and DX9 support? I hear those are the two biggest complaints. I run my 5900nU flashed 5950U no more than 1024x768_32 @ 4AAx8AF and its runs at a very respectable FPS. Im really satisfied and content with my card right now. :)

Rollo
05-02-04, 03:23 PM
okay let's not make this all about the FX, of course it isn't literally crap, if you could go back in time 5 years with even the FX5800 you'd blow everyone's socks off, 10 years back and you'd be worshipped as some kind of demi-god. but compared with other cards currently available and the cards about to become available they are not (imo at least) a good choice.

Dude, I've got news for you:
I have a 5800Ultra, and it blows everyone's socks off TODAY that doesn't have a 5900 or a 9700Pro/9800Pro/XT.

As far as the cards it doesn't blow the socks off today, you wouldn't notice much difference in it and them at up to 12X10, 4X8X.

Your statements are ATI propaganda, the only areas the ATI cards are "superior" to their nVidia counterparts are the one PS2 game worth playing, Far Cry, and 1600X1200 settings that most people don't run.

jAkUp
05-02-04, 03:49 PM
I have a 5800Ultra, and it blows everyone's socks off TODAY that doesn't have a 5900 or a 9700Pro/9800Pro/XT.

As far as the cards it doesn't blow the socks off today, you wouldn't notice much difference in it and them at up to 12X10, 4X8X.

Your statements are ATI propaganda, the only areas the ATI cards are "superior" to their nVidia counterparts are the one PS2 game worth playing, Far Cry, and 1600X1200 settings that most people don't run.

Blow your socks off? Turn on some AA and/or AF, and see what happens.

As for the X800XT, now that is... oh wait... can't say.

Rollo
05-02-04, 04:22 PM
Blow your socks off? Turn on some AA and/or AF, and see what happens.

As for the X800XT, now that is... oh wait... can't say.
:kill:

Jakup jakup jakup.
Do I have to school you again on the ways of the 5800U? I shouldn't as you owned one.
Oh yeah, I forgot- we can't trust the benchmarks on all those website because Jakup the CompUSA staffer has determined they're all "cheating"....
:lame:

The reason you can't say about the X800XT is you probably don't KNOW, but even on the chance you DID, LOL- "oooooh! Working at the computer store gives you access to the cards a couple days early!"
No "kill" there- more like "big deal- pfft."

dave_
05-02-04, 04:59 PM

you're ignoring the fact that the 9500pro beat the 5800u in DX9 games and did so for half the price, half the slots and without a loud mess of a cooling system that even nvidia took the piss out of once they got a refresh out the door.

green_meanie
05-02-04, 05:02 PM
Hi i just registered since i noticed most people here know enough about these kinda things

i am looking into buying a new gfx card
but i am bit stuck which one it will be
it wont be the 6800 since i dont see any reason why i should waste 500 bucks on a gfx card just because its so newi rather wait untill untill the prices drop a bit but 500 for a gfx card is insane imho

so it will probably be a Geforce FX 5700-5900
which ones are currently the best ?
i know there is a 5700 with 256 Mb but for a reasonable price and a 5900 with 128 which a bit faster memory i believe it was for also a decent price
but what would be the best choice ?
GFX cards was never a thing i payed attention to at least not like any other hardware

Thanks

Go for a 9800Pro or a 5900 non ultra if you can still find them.

Pantherman
05-02-04, 05:20 PM
The FX line is crap in DX 9 games, but it's not so bad in OpenGL and DX 8 games.