PDA

View Full Version : Which card to get: 6800, 6800 Pro, 6800 Ultra?

Pages : [1] 2

Pantherman
05-02-04, 01:51 PM
I've been trying to decided which new card to put in my computer. Since my CPU is underpowered, and I only have a 250W power supply, the 6800 Ultra is out of the question. I've considered the 6800 nu, but it will only have DDR-I memory clocked at 700MHz. There may also be cards with only 128MB of RAM. I'm sure it will beat the pants off my lousy 5900 nu, but I don't know if it will be worth the $$$. The 6800 Pro looks most appealing. It will probably run about $399. Will it also require as much juice as the Ultra? From what I understand, this will be the new mid-range 6800 card. Is my system good enough to run the card? Thanks for the info.

Lfctony
05-02-04, 01:56 PM
Since you will turn all the detail up until it becomes video card limited, I say go at least for the 6800 Pro.

bkswaney
05-02-04, 02:00 PM
The Pro sounds like it going to be the next ti4200.
I bet it overclocks to ultra speeds and it has 16 pipes.

I wish I could wait for it but I'm using a friends
GF3 while I wait to get my 6800.
So I'm stuck paying top dollar for a ultra seeing it
will be first to market.

If you can wait go for the Pro-GT or whatever they call it. ;)

Seoulstriker
05-02-04, 04:03 PM
i guarantee that you will not be able to take a 12 pipe chip and 'soft-mod' it to 16 pipes. they disable the other pipes using a chemical laser. :ORDER:

jAkUp
05-02-04, 04:10 PM
what about the X800 Pro? You may want to consider that........

Pantherman
05-02-04, 04:49 PM
I'm DEFINITELY going to consider the X800 Pro. I've heard that it won't require as much juice as the 6800 cards. I'm still waiting until the verdicts are all in on all the next-gen cards. :ORDER:

Geforce4ti4200
05-02-04, 05:06 PM
whatever choice you choose, why not upgrade your computer too, your cpu would be a huge bottleneck

Pantherman
05-02-04, 05:18 PM
That's what I'm afraid of. My CPU is definitely bad. I wouldn't call it junk, but it's not that far away. I'm going to try and get as much use as I can out of it. I don't want to upgrade my system for another year or so. That's when PCI-X will become the new standard.

dave_
05-02-04, 05:38 PM
I'm DEFINITELY going to consider the X800 Pro. I've heard that it won't require as much juice as the 6800 cards. I'm still waiting until the verdicts are all in on all the next-gen cards. :ORDER:

agreed. I also want to see what linux support is like for them and the workstation variants.

Superfly
05-02-04, 06:28 PM
what about the X800 Pro? You may want to consider that........

the only plus point I can see to the X800 Pro is that maybe it will be faster than the 6800 - most likely it will be in fact judging by suggested clock rate.

However, I see no other benefit "yet" - and being faster when your already getting silly FPS is even more silly - just wasted potential (and money!!!!).

the X800SE on the other hand is a much more realistic alternative for your system - should be around the 6800 non ultra performance and wont be CPU bound which is gonna be the problem until you upgrade your system.

hope that helps - P.S my suggestion is to go for the 6800GT, personally I have an allergy to ATI's drivers :drooling:

jAkUp
05-02-04, 06:30 PM
Well, in upcoming games the extra boost any card gives now will be more beneficial later.

Imbroglio
05-02-04, 06:43 PM
agreed. I also want to see what linux support is like for them and the workstation variants.

it took 3 month for ati to put out crappy drivers for the 9800, at the rate they pay attention to linux users it will be 12/04 before you see anything that will actually remotely work with the card :lame:

***thats why im going with nvidia this time around :angel2:

dave_
05-02-04, 06:50 PM
it took 3 month for ati to put out crappy drivers for the 9800, at the rate they pay attention to linux users it will be 12/04 before you see anything that will actually remotely work with the card :lame:

***thats why im going with nvidia this time around :angel2:

what pisses me off most about ATI's (lack of) linux support is that the dropped support for 9x/ME so they could concentrate even more on XP!

for ****'s sake why not get it working under linux before you add even more unrequested features for XP!

-=DVS=-
05-02-04, 07:00 PM
CPU will limit yor FPS very badly , if you got some 600$ you can upgrade your CPU to some 3Ghz range and then get cheaper model 6800 or X800 , will get you better FPS then highend card with slow cpu thats for sure ;)

And yeah if PSU is low wattage ,X800 rumored to use alot less power , but in two days we will know for sure :D

Note for flaimers abve Microsoft droped support for X98/ME ATI doesn't have to do sh*t for it , and yeah linux support is poor...

jimmyjames123
05-02-04, 07:01 PM
Rumor has it that NV is going to release a 6800 SE-GT-PRO-ULTRA XT. They aren't leaving anything to chance this go around vs ATI.

lIqUID
05-02-04, 07:10 PM
I agree fully with the poster that said the 6800 GT might end up being the next ti4200. I owned a 4200, and will surely buy a 6800 GT if its just an underclocked 6800 Ultra.

I use a crappy 17 in. monitor (i game at 10x7 currently), and I am running an Athlon 2800+ @ 2.25 gigs, so I think these factors would just make having a card as powerful as the Ultra a waste.

NitroX
05-02-04, 08:46 PM
Hey Jimmy james I have heard teh same thing and right from Nvidia's CEO about having a bigger range of cards to cover all the areas for different people. I have this feeling though that each card will have less pipes for the cheaper ones. They will do this because then it will be harder to just clock it higher and make it so if you want Ultra speeds then you pay Ultra price
but hey who knows at this point but I am sure they will have 4 or 5 levels of cards though.

Geforce4ti4200
05-02-04, 10:58 PM
then I would keep your 5900, just overclock it and use forceware drivers for extra speed at expense of IQ. save up for a new system a year from now. a new card will just be a waste

kec789
05-03-04, 12:18 AM
I hate to tell you this, but a 250 watt psu won't handle ANY of the cards you mentioned. You said that the 6800u is out of the question, but that psu won't even handle a 5900. I read from my BFG 5900 box: "A MINIMUM 300watt system power supply required."

And a 300watt would struggle it's butt off at that. First thing you need to concentrate on is a new PSU. No other upgrades you do will be usefull until you have a decent power source....and don't get a no-name cheap-o either. More problems come from bad PSU's than you could imagine yet it's often the LAST thing looked at when people have problems with their PC.

New PSU, then start in on the CPU, etc. I agree with everyone else here. You could put the biggest, baddest GPU in your machine but it will only do what the CPU and ram will allow. You would have MAJOR bottlenecks. If you need something to get you by, grab a Ti4200 for the meantime until you can afford to do it right.

Good Luck!

Clay
05-03-04, 12:29 AM
I hate to tell you this, but a 250 watt psu won't handle ANY of the cards you mentioned. You said that the 6800u is out of the question, but that psu won't even handle a 5900. I read from my BFG 5900 box: "A MINIMUM 300watt system power supply required."

And a 300watt would struggle it's butt off at that. First thing you need to concentrate on is a new PSU. No other upgrades you do will be usefull until you have a decent power source....and don't get a no-name cheap-o either. More problems come from bad PSU's than you could imagine yet it's often the LAST thing looked at when people have problems with their PC.

New PSU, then start in on the CPU, etc. I agree with everyone else here. You could put the biggest, baddest GPU in your machine but it will only do what the CPU and ram will allow. You would have MAJOR bottlenecks. If you need something to get you by, grab a Ti4200 for the meantime until you can afford to do it right.

Good Luck!
Not necessarily. It just depends on exactly what kind of PSU he has and his overall sysetem and peripheral hardware. This topic has been thoroughly documented here in the forums with respect to the 6800 and NVIDIA's 430W PSU "recommendation". The 6800Ultra has run just fine (for hours and hours) on an Antec 300W PSU. I mean you're correct, generally speaking. I would not be surprised, however, if he was able to continue to operate with his 250W PSU...though I do doubt it. ;)

-=DVS=-
05-03-04, 12:43 AM
Minimum that minimum this... BAH thats just marketing talk becouse there is so many crappy hardware :retard: moust of the time anyway.

Some dude from Beyond3d ran his 6800U on 200W SSF box without a problem offcourse could be a lie but whats the point of it, he did made alot of comments ran 3dmark03 for several hours playd games, i ran my Radeon9700Pro on 270W Enermax microATX without a glich :cool:

Clay
05-03-04, 12:50 AM
I thought it was Brian of 3DGPU that did this. Could be someone from B3D that did it as well but I think Brian did it the same day the 6800 was released. Anyway, yeah the entire PSU sky-is-falling reaction is to be expected I suppose...just one of those "your mileage may vary" things. :afro:

3madcows
05-03-04, 01:59 AM
I think the high PSU requirement is mainly to cover nVidia's arse if somebody isn't able to use their card with their current crappy PS. The can't complain that it's nVidia's fault for an unstable card. I do think that 480W is much higher than they needed to say, but they can't take chances when somebody makes their own POS 450W PSU that can't run the card. I think most users will be able to run it w/o upgrading.

MontoyaSG
05-03-04, 04:09 AM
probably the 6800NU for me

kec789
05-03-04, 04:51 AM
My point isn't weather or not a 6800u (drooool) really does need a 480w, but that going low on the power can cause a ton of problems and make you spend hours searching for a fix. I can't tell you how many people we've helped out (at my "home" forum) by suggesting peeps look at their psu's when problems arise. It's really a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing too IMO. Quality makes a difference.

Sure I know there are many of you who have generic PSU's who have probably had no problems with. I was in that bunch too until my cheap-o Codegen PSU took a dump on me after 3 months with not that big of a load. The Antec I replaced it with purrs like a kitten.

Anyway, to the fella who started this thread, since you're going to be getting a new one anyway, you might as well get one that will handle your future upgrades and last a while. Personally I wouldn't touch anything under 350watts....420 should be perfect.