PDA

View Full Version : 8xS sample Pattern changed dramatically in 61.11 drivers

ChrisRay
05-03-04, 10:10 PM
Err.. Its all ordered now, Kinda, But it still inverts 2 Samples for the Horizontal Edges.

I havent had a chance to do any tests on whether this mode is "Inferior" to the old 8xS, For sure one bug I discovered with it is it doesnt work in OpenGL anymore.

I'll try and get Some Quality shots of it and determine its effectiveness..

ChrisRay
05-03-04, 10:23 PM
Interesting. Very Interesting.

8xS in CP now registers as 8x in Riva Tuner.

However Enable the real 8xS in Riva Tuner and you get something Much MUCH different

These are dramatic changes to Nvidias AA techniques.

ChrisRay
05-03-04, 10:39 PM
These are the new modes.. I'm not terribly sure about them. But they definately run faster.

First one is the 8x in the control Panel. Second is the 8xS hidden now, (which has changed from the old 8xS)

Not sure but this is kinda step back maybe.

(Keep in mind that these screenshots use Low Mip map Detail and no AF)

jimmyjames123
05-03-04, 10:41 PM
Thanks for investigating!

So what do you think about the general speed, iq, and stability of these 61.11 drivers vs prior Forcewares?

Ruined
05-03-04, 10:56 PM
These are the new modes.. I'm not terribly sure about them. But they definately run faster.

First one is the 8x in the control Panel. Second is the 8xS hidden now, (which has changed from the old 8xS)

I'd say its a toss up, both are good, and its worth changing to the new one for the performance boost. In the first screenshot (new, faster method), the closer up red truck has more jaggies than red truck in the second shot. In the second screenshot (old, slower method), the second grey truck has more jaggies than the grey truck in the first shot.

So I'd say this was a good move by Nvidia.

ChrisRay
05-03-04, 11:00 PM
I'd say its a toss up, both are good, and its worth changing to the new one for the performance boost. In the first screenshot (new, faster method), the closer up red truck has more jaggies than red truck in the second shot. In the second screenshot (old, slower method), the second grey truck has more jaggies than the grey truck in the first shot.

So I'd say this was a good move by Nvidia.

Second one does seem to do better with Horizontal Edges tho. Give me a Moment I'll post 4x in Comparison. So we can see if any real improvements are being made from 4x, Keep in Mind 4x to the old 8x Showed little differences, and 4x to the new 8xS showed massive differences.

Now we have these modes to account for so.. Hmm..

P.S. The 8xS you see in this screenshot isnt the 8xS we have known on the FX series since the 50.XX series first emerged, Completely new Pattern.

So both modes have been changed, The old 8xS is gone completely now as far as I can tell.

ChrisRay
05-03-04, 11:10 PM
Here's 4x Mode, For Comparison sakes, I'm gonna be playen some more games ect, Just to see how Screenshots ect are affected, So far I haev a bad taste in my mouth. I'd feel alot better if I thought these were just broken NV40 Modes.

-=DVS=-
05-03-04, 11:11 PM

This is bad actually first pic , im suprised noone noticed or made coment it is blurred , details are gone , while second 8xS got good level of detail
:screwy: btw how does regular 4x compare ?

Edit: i do type slow :p

-=DVS=-
05-03-04, 11:15 PM
ok so 8xS > 4x > 8x that the level of details , new 8x mode looks worst in my opinion .
AntiAliasing is in 8xS > 8x >4x this order id say. Quality for speed trade ? beta driver experimenting ?

ChrisRay
05-03-04, 11:19 PM
Considering they are beta I'll reserve judgement, I kinda screwed up that 4x pic, Theres AF enabled.

But I will say this. These modes look awful in game. At least the new 8x, 4xS still looks way better.

Its sad that Nvidia has desupported 4xS (Cant enable it with Profiles) and its the best AA they have had for almost 3 years now (and its good)

I am hoping that these are just broken NV40 modes,

simwiz2
05-03-04, 11:24 PM
Could someone post pics with high contrast edges to compare the AA methods? Those pics are too dark to get a good AA comparison from them.

ChrisRay
05-03-04, 11:35 PM
Well you dont want to see them. Trust me they are all inferior to 4xS, which is only beaten by the 8xS mode in the 50.xx Series currently.

So I wouldnt worry too much about em. If these bugs make it live. I was be very very upset.

Razor04
05-03-04, 11:58 PM
ok so 8xS > 4x > 8x that the level of details , new 8x mode looks worst in my opinion .
AntiAliasing is in 8xS > 8x >4x this order id say. Quality for speed trade ? beta driver experimenting ?
Agreed... Out of the 3 shots posted from 3DMark only the second one has retained the clarity in the textures. The other two completely bastardize them and blur them to all hell. It is so readily apparent I don't know how some of you guys missed that. If the second pic is the original mode I would prefer that...because otherwise it would seem that NV is lowering quality once again for speed.

NOTE: I just quickly skimmed through the post and focused primarily on the pics...so if I screwed up which one is the original I apologize. Either way I think I got my point across that the second one is the only one with good quality.

ChrisRay
05-04-04, 12:00 AM
Agreed... Out of the 3 shots posted from 3DMark only the second one has retained the clarity in the textures. The other two completely bastardize them and blur them to all hell. It is so readily apparent I don't know how some of you guys missed that. If the second pic is the original mode I would prefer that...because otherwise it would seem that NV is lowering quality once again for speed.

Second isnt the original Mode either. The original Mode looks way better than both those screenies, In a bit I'll post some pics of original mode.

ChrisRay
05-04-04, 05:38 AM
This is the original 8xS, Now compare it to Nvidias new modes on the FX range and you can see why I think its not a worth spit compared to What nvidia has offered..

Guys dont compare texture quality differences, I had manipulated the LoD within the drivers, and they arent accurate, Focus on edges ;p In the prior pics I was in my "Benchmark" mode with the Level of Detail.

So the quality of textures does look kinda bad, Specially compared to the default LoD in this pic.

MontoyaSG
05-04-04, 07:52 AM
guess this AA mode needs more tweaking to do
but main thing is the performance improvement