PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm done buying a new graphics card for a while - RANT

TheTaz
05-03-04, 10:29 PM
/Rant On

After checking out previews / leaked benchies for both nVidia and ATi... I just don't have the cpu to do it anymore, and I'm NOT going to spend the money on a frickin $900 "Pee Fore Athlon 64 FuX EE Zeon" to have enough CPU to feed one of these new cards.

Yes... I'm referring to all the benchies ending up CPU limited.

I remember when nVidia used to 'tout' CPU isn't important... GPU is... and it WAS true. Now you gotta spend $2000 a year just to play games? Forget it. No wonder POS consoles are taking over. :fu:

/Rant Off

I feel better now, tanks! :D

Taz

creedamd
05-03-04, 10:39 PM
/Rant On

After checking out previews / leaked benchies for both nVidia and ATi... I just don't have the cpu to do it anymore, and I'm NOT going to spend the money on a frickin $900 "Pee Fore Athlon 64 FuX EE Zeon" to have enough CPU to feed one of these new cards.

Yes... I'm referring to all the benchies ending up CPU limited.

I remember when nVidia used to 'tout' CPU isn't important... GPU is... and it WAS true. Now you gotta spend $2000 a year just to play games? Forget it. No wonder POS consoles are taking over. :fu:

/Rant Off

I feel better now, tanks! :D

Taz

It's because the benchers are staying old school. They have to give the 1024x768 benches because it is pretty much standard. THe cards really don't start to get used until 1280 and up with some AA/AF. Don't let it get you down. Consoles still suck for First Person Shooters.

dave_
05-03-04, 10:46 PM
the CPU is the most important part of the PC. if you'd be willing to spend $500 on a top of the range graphics card, but not another $500 for a top of the range CPU to have a "balanced" system, then imo you're being unrealistic about expecting the best gaming experience.

graphics cards aren't magic, if the rest of your computer is weak then a 6800U or a X800 won't fix that.

TheTaz
05-03-04, 10:49 PM
It's because the benchers are staying old school. They have to give the 1024x768 benches because it is pretty much standard. THe cards really don't start to get used until 1280 and up with some AA/AF. Don't let it get you down. Consoles still suck for First Person Shooters.

Well... I don't run above 1024x768... heh. I only have a 17" Monitor and anything higher would make me squint. :o LOL.

I do Run 4xAA and 8xAF tho.

It Just seems to me that if I'm going to see CPU Limiting...I better be also seeing 150+ FPS on a modern game.... not 60 FPS. (Years of 200+ FPS Quake III engined stuff must have spoiled me! LOL)

/shrug

Taz

jAkUp
05-03-04, 10:49 PM
Well of course games are CPU limited now. Thats what happens when a big card comes out. Wait until doom3, HL2, Stalker comes out... Then you won't be CPU limited anymore.

And at 1600x1200, with some AA and or AF, you are definetely not CPU limited.

Maybe you should invest in a bigger monitor, rather than a faster CPU. PC gaming is an expensive hobby, always has been, always will be. Nothing has changed. I remember paying $2,000 to play quake2 at 800x600 at a little over 50fps.

Rytr
05-03-04, 10:50 PM
Yeah, don't forget the monitor!

NitroX
05-03-04, 10:58 PM
fortunately for me I have never purchased a video card

if you want to know the secret is to surround yourself with gaming friends who all have to much money and buy the latest and greatest

then when there card is a few months old they let you use it
atm I am using a 9500 pro that I paid nothing for and it works great

my first 3d card was a 16MB creative Banshee that I got given to me then I got given a Geforce 2MX and then got to use a 5950 Ultra 256 for a week
now the 9500pro

just let your friends buy the good stuff
in fact help encourage them hehe then when you help encourage them to get the next thing in 6 months you get yourself a super deal on there old and crappy NV40/R420

TheTaz
05-03-04, 11:03 PM
Maybe you should invest in a bigger monitor, rather than a faster CPU.

Waiting for LCD technology to get better at gaming before I do that. ;)
It's still not quite at the level I think it should be for gaming... And the last thing I need is a HUGE CRT!

As for PC gaming being an expensive hobby... I've always known that. I JUST upgraded my processor 6 months ago from an Athlon 1800+ to a 2600+ (Maxxed for my nForce 1)... and it just irrks the hell out of me that I may have to do it again. ;)

Processors used to last a lot longer. Heh.

Also... I refuse to upgrade to a new motherboard BEFORE PCI Express boards come out. ;)

marqmajere
05-03-04, 11:03 PM
Consoles still suck for First Person Shooters.

Halo? Quake 2 & 3? Timespliters? :screwy:

Jarred
05-03-04, 11:10 PM
Halo? Quake 2 & 3? Timespliters? :screwy:

dude, give me a mouse, and I will personally whoop anyone using a controller.

The movement is much more fluent and accurate,

PC's are also WAY better with RTS, where the screen needs to be cluttered with lots of text, ...TV' rez just won't hold up with those games.

if you want to REALLY compare them, compare the amount of mulah brought in on fps on cosole to PC.

PC dominates in those arena's.

Surfer2374
05-03-04, 11:41 PM
Yes fps are best with mouse and keyboard. You simply can't argue that. There are games though that I prefer to have a gamepad for, but for fps mouse+keyboard beats gamepad every damn time. Can fps be good on consoles? Yes of course but if I have a choice pc everytime. :kill: